Sea Creatures

      Sea-Creatures-1

 

3ce2bdf065741d9ef19b53d7bd0d6498

 

In dream analyses
water = the mind, emotions, unconscious


      Sea-Creatures-1

 

We can dance in the shallows.
Splash and laugh in the small waves.
Dip toes in twinkling, sun-dappled
aquamarine.
Luxuriate on warm quartz sand,
holding conch-shell-consciousness.
and white horse fantasy.

But

It’s when the night comes
and the dark oceans swell.
as the kelp sways
in bottle green under-currents,
moon-controlled and mysterious…
That we plumb the depths
and explore our inner longings
and true passions.

Be brave

Dive deep.

0 0 votes
Rate This Writing
Subscribe
Notify of
9 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
gerry

My brainium is beginning to hurt again 😉 but i think I know what you mean…warm milk sometimes helps.
I wrote about a nightmare once, I will try and find it. I seem to remember diving a little too deep…

gerry.x

leila

Indeed! Nicely done…Leila x

kipper

Hi Alison
Your imagination knows no bounds, and I find myself wondering why I do not see the things you see; things that go ‘bump’ in the night. Me, I’m starting to sleep with light on!.
However, as a lapsed artist I know that you do paint some telling pictures.
Best wishes, Michael

kipper

Sorry Alison, I cannot claim to be the one – someone beat me too it. However, whoever it was I second it!
Michael.

This is a poem rich in imagery and language, I particularly like the kelp and the moon and the conch. It’s an interesting idea, that dreams of water symbolise the mind, specifically the unconscious mind. I can’t remember ever dreaming about water, particularly. Do you often dream about it? I very often dream about my teeth falling out, about being late for trains or flights and having to run for them and often missing them, about plane crashes or near-crashes, but never really about water. However, I do seem to dream about toilets quite a bit. Public toilets. For example… Read more »

OK, cool… Here’s another one: I often dream that I’m walking around in public minus quite an important item of clothing, like shoes or trousers. Curiouser and curiouser, said Alison…

Wow, that’s quite a deep analysis, which requires a considerable amount of thought on my part… How did the dream make me feel? Well, I woke up laughing out loud immediately after declaring myself to be a cricket fan named Nigel Fairfax. In fact, even in the dream I was laughing a bit as I said it. Obviously I recognised the absurdity of the situation even in my dream. I probably realised at that moment that I was just dreaming, which was why I woke up. Quite often in my dreams, I suss out that I’m only dreaming and that… Read more »

amman

Nicely balanced philosophical piece, Alison. Well worth the nomination. Personally, I prefer the second part which is less overtly descriptive and where you explore the inner psyche, as we all do in the wee small hours. When I was a child, for a while, I dreamt of endlessly falling into a void. The stuff of nigthmares0 Good pic too.