Saying Goodbye

Relocating.


 
I am saying goodbye
to my current abode,
a Victorian house
that my aunt bestowed
to her favourite nephew
who happens to be me.
 
Some reasons I’m going
to name but a few:
the walls affected
by damp and mildew
and, in the rear garden,
a dying birch tree.
 
I will take with me
a Persian floor rug,
a stained-glass door
a vintage Toby Jug
and leave the rest
to the vendee.
 
You may think
that I am silly, I bet,
to give stuff away
but do not fret;
they were paid for
and aren’t free.
 
There is one thing
for which I’ll grieve.
One item I treasured
and have to leave:
an antique and ornate
front door key.
 
© Luigi Pagano 2020
0 0 votes
Rate This Writing
Subscribe
Notify of
12 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Guaj

Such a nice key. I think I would leave the new owners a copy

I may have to relocate some time thanks to 52% of Brits 🙁

Guaj

I wouldn’t blame you Luigi I wasn’t consulted either being too long outside the Uk If anyone is to blame it’s Diddy David Cameron trying to save his ass and it backfired I know people who voted to leave nice people but I don’t think the leavers realised how difficult it would be for Brits living in the EU I have residence here and a pension but it will limit me to staying in this country and that’s a pity as I have good friends in Spain and now I can only visit not stay I have family in the… Read more »

griffonner

Well, as a BC in the EU I can tell you Luigi: On Monday my wife and I (as two elderly vulnerable Covid self-isolators) travelled to an appointment (round trip of about 150Km cross countryside) where we were fully fingerprinted and gave up identity photographs – as the final part of obtaining a 10 year residency permit … even though we had (before 31st Dec) been full tax paying and voting (local) residents of many years standing. During the preceeding month (after over 60 years a client with Barclays Bank – million-pound turnover business accounts and all – they stripped… Read more »

griffonner

There was some doubt in my mind before I penned my comment – because I realised that it was, shall we say, “off topic” – but as you had said you didn’t know how it was for people in the EU, thought you would be interested. I take you point however, and would not be at all offended if the Mods or Admins remove my response.
Allen

griffonner

To be honest, I haven’t a clue, Luigi. You referred to our situation as a predicament – which of course it is – but there is nothing we can do about it, we just have to suck it up and get on with our lives as we may be allowed to. I don’t think people are all that interested, to be frank… we are after all small fry when it comes to the negative effects of Brexit, and experience has taught me that there is a lot of ‘bad feeling’ towards us (not ‘us’ as in my wife and I,… Read more »

Bhi

Luigi,

I agree with G; leave a copy behind of this wonderful key.

Following the thread between you and G, my personal solution was to apply for dual nationality, but then haven’t read through the fine print – if it does exist – of the brexit agreement. Which reminds me of a news item that stated Boris had not read the agreement in its entirety!.

bhi

amman

Good luck at your new abode, Luigi. I would have changed the lock and kept that beautiful key.

Mentalelf

Lovely slice of your life, bitter sweet, I enjoyed it… can you not get a copy of the key made? pass that one on and place the nice one in your treasure box? Also I love your taking the door. Thank you Ionicus good read.

Mentalelf

Ah I’m sorry I didn’t realise it was all finalised, as you say, and I’ve done it many times myself… “wise after the event”. Take care. Phil.

ChairmanWow

This verse taught me some things about Brexit i didn’t know. Good luck on your new home, Luigi. I was forced to move back to the Midwest USA from sunny Arizona because i couldn’t pay the mortgage and health insurance on my retirement income so i kind of know what you mean.