Teaching Adults

Thoughts for today.

.
There must be some empirical way to measure learning curves in adults. Each human is different and constants would be hard to quantify. Humans learn at different velosities, take in data in varied ways, and some refuse to believe or participate in the aquisition of new information. I used to call it lazy minded, but too many factors are dismissed by that statement; past experience with educational systems and personnel, degrees of access and motivation, value systems, and thousands of other reasons exist as to why people lose interest or never gain interest in absorbing knowledge.  
.

It is daunting and dynamic, the dependency on receptivity limitation and wide-spread rejection of virtually anything not conditioned or scripted by takers and users aka sellers. Impenatrable blocks to brain expansion is at pandemic levels. It is a wonder that we have survived as a species. Most folks are content to know just enough to acquire life-necessities and no more. The nightly news is enough and questioning whether what has been heard is true is anathema to most earth born. Trusting blindly is about as reliable as depending on information passed across the fence with a neighbor. Opinion has replaced facts, facts have been woefully manipulated to condition people to remain peaceful or to buy stuff. Television should be educational 24/7 to create an informed public. Newspapers and print media could be enlisted to elevate the rate of thought processing in the heads of humans, but most humans do do not read. Radio too (okay, too much – apologies).

.
Imagine not hearing anything outside your house for 20 years – what would the world look like after such a black-out. Many practice their freedom by clinging to old information and live in quiet desperate consternation when their world suddenly changes. Like losing a factory or coal mining job – school at age 53 is nigh impossible. Did not need to read more than the daily paper, memorizing new procedures or computer uses is alien, and working outside comfort zones means adapting will be tough. Generational values clash when your supervisor is 20 or more years younger than you. Technology advances and robotics have eaten the manual labor jobs so school and a new career path is all that remains. The 20 year black out happens and humans are not able to cope in a more modern world. Suicide rates rise when such cataclysmic loses occur – giving up and living on the street happens, or worse, living with relatives.
.
The only constant is change. I watch the movie “margin call” and see 30 somethings weeping in bathroom stalls faced with losing their $250,000.00 a year income. The fittest survived the severe downsizing of 2008, others had to adjust to terms like no extras and economizing and no new purchases for years. Catastrophes happen – death of the bread winner, loss of a limb or two. A surgeon losing his hands (Dr. Strange) is end of the world stuff. Unfortunately, this cycle repeats unerringly; ill tidings missing the favored, prepared, the informed, and the lucky few. Staying on top of local, state, federal and world news may not interpret into a new job at better wages, but the come back will be less traumatic. Knowing where the jobs are, for starters, without depending on word of mouth, would give a human a head start. Being receptive to new ideas works in the interview, having read about a new theory is impressive. The ability to learn is demonstrated. 
.
Learn something new every day. Mine today was on a discussion of the historical freeze cycles of Earth and that multi-trillion cubic metric tons of glacier ice melt occurs annually, and is increasing. We may get a reprieve from the sun – ironically, and the earth could cool down for decades – due to no sun spot activity. Hey, nobody is talking about that. Anyway, if ignorance is bliss, there are lots of smiling humans out there. 
.
allets
09-17-19
811p
.