A Ghazal

A first attempt at this poetic form.


Would you agree to go out on a date? I’d like to know.
If not as a prospective spouse, as a mate? I’d like to know.
 
Would you accept that although I have a dubious reputation
I’m as pure as the driven snow and celibate? I’d like to know.
 
I do not conform to prevailing practices and philosophies;
if you think matrimony is an honourable state, I’d like to know.
 
I consider that all events are determined and inevitable
and if you, as I do, believe in impending fate, I’d like to know.
 
I’m not, to my regret, a handsome and muscular Adonis.
Is that something you do not appreciate? I’d like to know.
 
If despite all drawbacks and shortcomings, my proposal
is one you are prepared to contemplate, I’d like to know.
 
 
 
© Luigi Pagano 2021
 
The ghazal form is ancient, tracing its origins to 7th-century Arabic poetry. For a poem to be considered a true ghazal, it must have no fewer than five couplets.
Each couplet should be able to stand alone, as if it were its own poem.
Every verse ends with the same word or group of words (radif) preceded by a rhyme (qaafiya)..
Additionally both lines of the first verse end with the with the qaafiya and radif.

 

 

0 0 votes
Rate This Writing
Subscribe
Notify of
3 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Bhi

Luigi, this is a fine ghazal indeed. One of the traditions we have when getting together – in Morocco and in India – as friends or family is to sit at the end of the day/meal and recite ghazals to each other, sometimes made up on the spot. Most often they are accompanied with quite a bit of alcoholic beverages, suitably labelled of course as soft drinks!

Dodgem

I hadn’t previously heard of the ghazal form; and if Bhi commends yours it must be worthy. That apart I liked the sentiments; thanks Luigi

Gorgon.

Dodgem

Just being playful; after our earlier humour with names. But yes, taking on a strict poetic form – I admire that.