Latest Submissions

Only Shades of Grey

I confess!  This is a rewrite of something I penned in... Good Grief! 2005!  Seems like much longer ago than that!  I promise you it has nothing to do with a book that had a similar title!  (Mine came first by the way!) ...

An account of Mary’s birth

No 3 in the series "The Life and Times of Mary" providing one version of the account of her birth ...

Brief Encounter

It's maybe what happens in the fog of War ...

Everybody cannot be wrong
Picked

When I was young, I’d be horrified if I couldn’t fit in, if I wouldn’t gel with my peers. A group, a team, a gang of untrained bullies, important, to be humored all the time; it was a game I wasn’t ever good at. I slowly became a loner, then a loser. As days went by, my capabilities were tarnished, I was defamed by every single friend; they were all speaking the same language, selling ...

Part 23

It was her teeth. Her clothes.  The basket she held.  The ear rings.  The neck scarf.  The taint in her skin.  The distance travelled. The centuries.  In caravans and carts.  The poverty.  The pain.  The prejudice.  Smoked skinned ceremonies.  Horses. Dogs.  Bare fist fights and flights of fancy.  Her hereditary Y chromosome.  This girl.  A scattered star.  Religious icon.  Provocative.  Restricted.  This diamond.  This jewel.  In front of me.  Alongside two others.  Selling pegs and ...

Retribution
Picked

warning: adult material (I bear witness) In times of war we do what we have to do ...

Beamo’s Gold part 27

Beamo finds out what Little Bit wants to do with her share of the gold ...

The position

  I will write on the bellies of the starved, I will put words in the mouths of the famished; not one word of disgrace in my thought to be used against the unfortunate wealth, my mind will not blame oppression, injustice, it would, like a singing bard, whisper in the ears of the achievers on what real acquisition is, the eyes of the rich will suddenly open up and feel the poignance of walking ...

My Crazy Diamond
Picked

On the anniversary of losing my son to cancer aged eighteen I wrote this, and as I can no longer play due to arthritis I sent it to my sons friend Dooley who is taking music in Manchester at about two in the morning, he sent it back recorded on his iPhone by ten on the anniversary. The same day! My Crazy Diamond As these words cascade upon the page I feel a hole inside ...

Standing its ground

The world absurd. many skies rich, poor; many grounds sliced into pieces, colours of rainbow tarnished, horrific melange of dark shades, power to grab the lion’s share, the pie of the red innocuous fruit made sinful selling packs of irrelevant stories. Grim heaven, sunless, moonless, a stone on the shoulders of the cursed survivors, glorified soldiers; bright firmament, shining stars, an umbrella on the blessed dwellers. The residents of the world, divided, dispersed caste, creed, ...

Two Trees

A short work; more a piece of whimsy; though I often find more can be said in less; Samuel Menashe being the master, to whom we can but aspire ...
/ / Poetry / 1 Comment on Two Trees