Latest Prose

Waifs Strays and Throwaways

Waifs Strays and Throwaways

The opening sequence to my new thriller based loosely on the Rochdale child abuse scandal ...
Part 8

Part 8

There were days when the sun did shine everyday.  What was only weeks, maybe six, possibly eight.  These were the days of real happiness.  A time before this time.  The innocence of youth; the crossover to growing old.  But somewhere in-between there were always good days.  In those, old times, ...
Part 7

Part 7

You have to understand, we control everything.  Even that chair you are sat on.  In your mind it offers you a last piece of sanctuary.  Your fingers can grip it.  You can sit like a fetus upon it.  You think that its your country, your borders, you will defend it, ...
Part 6

Part 6

You see you have to understand that any rational concept of human love disappeared long before the first Virus War.   What dictators had tried and failed for decades before, we succeeded with no need for propaganda or threats.   In the early days of social media humans were rewriting their own ...
Part 5

Part 5

The first Virus War lasted two days in old time. A targeted war.  A targeted population.  Early adopters.  Death by CRM.  In legal terms, these casualties had a dead cerebrum, but a living brainstem; their heartbeat and ventilation continued unaided.  This enabled an immediate chip transplant.  Thousands of vehicles taking single bodies.  The removal was ...
Part 4

Part 4

On the edge of each city sit beacons.  One hundred per city.  One hundred metres high.  Landmarks.  Beacons are lit once each month.  Always the last day.  Months are thirty days long.  Days are thirty hours long.  Cleansing is six hours each day. An average human body takes from two to three ...
Part 3

Part 3

Every action has an equal opposite reaction. Smash a human face against a wall.  See how it reacts.  What we want is reaction.  For some, one action will be enough.  Others might need two of three.  It is said that there are some who need their face smashing every week ...
Part 2

Part 2

Ten pairs of boots. One pair escaping, nine chasing.  The chasers closer.  Closer.  Built in navigation, fly by wire muscles.  Thirty hour days; six extra for street cleansing.  You need some luck not to be cleansed.  Did central programmers include a luck utility function when those first AI  installations were ...
Part 1.

Part 1.

It was after the virus wars of the 2050s when the first mutations started. For a while they went unnoticed.  In those days death certificates were obsolete.  Millions wiped out in weeks. Food was scarce.  It was thought that a mix of cannibalism, years of laboratory gene manipulation and ozone ...
Rat Pie

Rat Pie

Why would anyone eat a rat? I mean, seriously, why would any sane, rational person kill, cook and eat rats? ...
/ / Fiction / 1 Comment on Rat Pie
Meeting Emily Jane

Meeting Emily Jane

Here is a short piece from my new book, I'm still playng with it trying to get it right ...
Chapter 11: From Pillar to Post

Chapter 11: From Pillar to Post

Chapter 11 of the City of Gargoyles - Second Book in the Light Father Trilogy Nightingale's parents flee the Order and the police in Brigstowe to save their albino daughter only to meet a police cordon where ill omens await them...  ...
Chapter 10 - Stone Ghosts

Chapter 10 – Stone Ghosts

Chapter 10 of City of Gargoyles - the second book in the Light-Father trilogy. Deep within the bowels of Milverburg, they await news of the Light-Father while Amos and Fria discover a brief spark of humanity and meet their match ...
End of Life

End of Life

He's dying but he's not going alone. End of Life Ian pulled hard on the cigarette, enjoying the crackle as the tobacco tip glowed brighter and sucked the smoke deep into his lungs; if Tracy could see him now. Thirty six he’d been when they’d kicked the cancer sticks together ...
The new tomorrow

The new tomorrow

Chapter I                     Eira I have suddenly awoken, breathing heavily. My chest was rising back and forth wildly. I felt a painful sting with my every breath and it took me a little while to find my bearings in the dark of the night. I was lying in the middle of the bed. I felt my nightgown, ...
The Gods of the Odds

The Gods of the Odds

The serial killer was undetected and unsuspected because he always carefully kept the odds on his side ...
It just dawned on me - I'm a person

It just dawned on me – I’m a person

Mann muss immer immer immer immer immer immer veruckt sein ...
Ursula Flynne’s Terrible Sin

Ursula Flynne’s Terrible Sin

This story is  taken from a compilation titled, Jacqueline & Other Stories ...
My love – My Sparkling Lamington

My love – My Sparkling Lamington

I wrote a letter to my love and on the way I dropped it……… ...