Reputable Member

Ten days ago there was an amazing film called Selma on BBC 2. I was going to recommend that you watch it on iPlayer, but like a lot of things to which the BBC doesn't own the copyright it isn't there: It's set in 1965, when I was 17 and probably at my most politically aware and involved, and is the story of Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights march from Selma to Montgomery. I remember that march and the police brutality that led to it very well. Lyndon Johnson is vilified in the film (the picture painted must have been true or he would have sued) and the picture presented of southern states American life is blood-curdling and explains a lot about how society works over there and the kind of relationship the police still seem to have with the black population. It's a genuine 'must see'. You can actually watch the entire film on YouTube on payment of £2.49  

and there are extracts you can watch for free.

One of the most moving things you can hear on YouTube is the song written by Richard Farina and sung by Joan Baez about the murder of the four young girls at the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama in 1963 that was the last straw for the black activists and turned the tide of world opinion for ever: 

Edited: 9 months  ago
Posted : June 24, 2017 7:10 am
Prominent Member Admin

Thanks, David, will download!

Posted : June 24, 2017 9:26 pm

Please Login or Register