Linux  

RSS
andrea
(@andrea)
Prominent Member Admin

PC/Windows crashed a week or two ago, and I lost all emails bookmarks etc. Decided to go with Debian/Linux and ditch Windows altogether. So far so good, can do everything Windows can do and more. Using Thunderbird as an email client and have got a permanent VPN installed. Total privacy is now ensured 🙂

Anyone else using it?

Posted : June 9, 2019 8:44 pm
jay12
(@jay12)
Trusted Member

I use Linux Mint on an old laptop. The laptop was the wife's and it took hours to start up and was eternally slow with Windows on it. I downloaded a copy of Linux and installed it on it and it runs like new. It was Windows that was sh*te not the laptop. Works a dream. Libreoffice is great for writing on and it offers really handy options such as embedding fonts into PDFs so you can upload them to self-publishing sites with ease. I think its amazing considering its free shareware. Have you looked at all of the extras you can download to use with the operating system too, they are worth a look at. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2019 4:15 pm
shywolf
(@shywolf)
Trusted Member

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  Runs like a peach!  Fast boot-ups and shutdowns, more modern interface, and it was free.  Never tried Linux...'tis a little too esoteric for me, although I've heard nothing but good things about it if you're so inclined to learn a whole new operating system.  Good luck with it.  👍 

Instead of trying to undo the biting of the old apple/I bite a new one instead/And with a toothless grin/Become a Dionysian among Christians.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2019 5:03 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

One day I must try Linux. Heard nothing but good things. People solved many problems and it was not their laptops, it was Windows. So it's free right? a stupid question, if I save all the things I want can I add them later? or will they not be compatible? does it have some sort of Word document too? Can I use windows word?

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2019 6:22 pm
andrea
(@andrea)
Prominent Member Admin

It's Open Source so yes, it's free.  Libre Office is as good as, if not better than, Word. You can transfer everything over.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2019 9:19 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member
Posted by: @ifyouplease
Posted by: @ionicus

@ifyouplease

Why don't you open a new topic like "Help needed on computer malfunction". You may attract people like Shywolf who are expert on IT.
Just a suggestion

bear with me Luigi, I was using a tablet and just managed to start using again the laptop but I may create a new topic now, since I don't think I have time I will say and ask for guidance here. the windows are company windows a cousin gave me and although I clicked activate nothing happened. they are authentic so I am wtf

it's a mess I want to stop, so I am googling linux right now. are things as easy as this video says? is this all I have to do?

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2019 10:33 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

HELP
! URGENT !

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2019 10:33 am
shywolf
(@shywolf)
Trusted Member

I've been away for the Summer, but am back now.

@ifyouplease:  Did you resolve the problem(s) or are you still in need of assistance?  I also noted your shoutbox message.  As far as the most user friendly distribution of Linux is concerned, Ubuntu is one of the friendliest, from what I've read. 

Instead of trying to undo the biting of the old apple/I bite a new one instead/And with a toothless grin/Become a Dionysian among Christians.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 29, 2019 4:45 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

the problems persist, I failed linux installation was beyond me. my laptop is in a bad condition after 3 formats in just a month.

hoping it can survive as it is because right now I have no money to buy a new one and I cannot work or write with a tablet.

I cancelled payment for office too. I can hardly pay bills now. husband lost his job. 

I guess I am also losing my writing mojo, failed to write a story for the prose challenge too.

thanks for asking Shywolf. I reply belatedly, I rarely login here with all these problems I am facing and the news that Egriff might be dead.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2019 10:12 am
Share: