SELF PROMOTING

Notifications

SELF PROMOTING  

RSS
SimonLeigh
(@simonleigh)
Eminent Member

Anybody who reads my self-published books likes them but nobody does. I email everyone I know to offer them a wonderful online reading experience for a mere $5 but...nothing. So now I'm distributing my poetry chapbook, SHORT STROKES by putting copies in those Free Libraries that are springing up in people's front yards. Maybe it's the pink cover, but they keep being taken. I may have a dozen fans! Or none. Still, one struggles on.

Posted : October 18, 2017 2:11 am
shipbuilder
(@shipbuilder)
Estimable Member

I put mine on www.payhip.com as e-book downloads.   It is free to register with them, and they only take 5% commision.     I am now fast approaching £2,000 in takings.   I have mentioned Payhip here before, but very few budding authors seem to think it is a very good idea.    Not doing very well this month with only about £7 so far, but last month it was £139.78!   Usually, it is between £60 and £100 per month.     As it is all automatic, once the downloads are with them, there is nothing to do.   If a sale it made, I just get an e-mail telling me the amount that has been paid in my Paypal account.      They take the 5% off before paying me.    Fantastic service.

Bob

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 18, 2017 6:41 pm
SimonLeigh
(@simonleigh)
Eminent Member

Thanks, Bob. I'll follow your advice.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 22, 2017 2:03 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Noble Member

Bob, I tried to register with Payhip but as my Paypal account is linked to a credit card but not to a bank account I wasn't able to progress any further.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 3, 2017 11:01 am
shipbuilder
(@shipbuilder)
Estimable Member

I would imagine they could sort it out if you contacted them.    Every time I have contacted them, they have answered promptly.       If you have actual money in Paypal, I dodn't see why there should be a problem.     Even if you don't it shouldn't .make any difference because Payhip is free to register with.     As soon as someone buys a download, Payhip takes their 5% commission and sends the rest to my Paypal account.     I have been with Payhip for over two years now, and never a problem that they haven't been able to sort out quickly.     The even deal with EU VAT.    If anyone sells a download to an EU country, they are required by law to pay the VAT for that country.     So, if someone in the EU buys a download, Payhip adds the VAT to the cost of the download.    Then, they take the 5% commission for themselves, and forward the VAT to the EU.     So, the seller of the download still gets the same amount.   It is only the EU buyer that has to pay more!    

Bob

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 3, 2017 11:18 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Noble Member

I contacted them and said that my Paypal account was for individuals and I didn't see the need to change to a business account and their reply was:

Hi,

Please confirm your login email, your account will be deleted right away.
Many thanks,
Kahin--

Kahin Farah
contact@payhip.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 3, 2017 12:01 pm
shipbuilder
(@shipbuilder)
Estimable Member

I don't really understand that reply.   It seems to indicate that you have registered, but want to cancel it!

Bob

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 3, 2017 1:02 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Noble Member

I did register but could not do anything unless I changed my Paypal account to a Business account as my Individual account was only linked to a credit card and not also to a a bank account. I didn't want to do that and told them so.
I guess that nothing else could be done and they deleted it. I am not worried as I only wanted to try it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 3, 2017 4:20 pm
shipbuilder
(@shipbuilder)
Estimable Member

Pity, because it is such an effective selling platform.     But at least they deleted it for you.    Lots of sites would not have bothered replying at all!

Bob

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 3, 2017 7:50 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Noble Member

Thanks, Bob.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 4, 2017 9:11 am
Share: