Should I cancel Dec...

Should I cancel December 18 challenge?  

RSS
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Set a new one, with different parameters, for January 8, 2018?

Urgent problems at home today- like a badly failing furnace and the likelihood I'll have to sign a contract for a costly new one  to be installed on Monday -  are preventing me from being able to focus on writing anything for the challenge at this late date.  It doesn't look as if anyone else has anything lined up for it either, besides Ellie.   

Posted : December 16, 2017 3:35 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

I don't see a reason to cancel it, I will try if I fail that's okay, it will end soon. 

Please post a new challenge this one almost ended, maybe who knows it will make me write something.

Thanks.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2017 1:03 am
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Yes, will post a challenge - unless savvi, ionicus or shy - for three I can name-  would like to offer one.  Hey guys, let me know post haste so I refrain from taking the lead, which I was planning to do soon after this current challenge ends.  Ellie might be willing also.

Notice how far beyond the holidays I'm thinking of!  Think perhaps this close to Christmas has put a damper on participation for your challenge, IYP.   I want to give the time frame for both holidays a wide berth!  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2017 5:06 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member

I believe that entries for challenges should posted on the final date of a deadline. Feedback would then follow. It seems that some people are confused as to when to comment. There are two submissions to the fiction challenge, one dated November 27 (mine - with 178 views) and the only comment was regarding the implementation date; the other is dated December 11 and has no feedback. Maybe they are waiting for the deadline to expire.
A suggestion I made some time ago regarding setters of challenges received no response. I said that to proceed in an orderly fashion, the author of a piece which the current setter 'liked best' - as we stipulated that there should be no 'winners' -  would be the next challenger.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2017 10:45 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

we are few people interested in setting challenges, and there are only two people who have started challenges, me and Savvi. for the time being it won't become difficult or chaotic for more active poetry challenges at least when all of them have a seven days plus deadline. 

hopefully you will find a solution soon, I will be focused on writing a poem for mine today and I look forward to finding at least one new poetry challenge by Savvi Luigi or Belcanto or all of them within the next few days.

right now I am more than pleased I can participate in this discussion, and typing these words...... it's a start. it's something. thanks.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2017 1:16 pm
ellieg
(@ellieg)

I moved mine to poetry on your advice Bel. I enjoyed writing it and would love some feedback. It's probably a bad time of year for this, the same is true of my fiction challenge.

Onwards and upwards 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2017 2:27 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

we are few people interested in setting challenges, and there are only two people who have started challenges, me and Savvi.

IYP, you are misunderstanding the history of this challenge, maybe because you weren't around for it on the old WABD site.  How do you imagine a challenge poem of mine found its way into the anthology?  All previous challenges (admittedly, not many) have vanished because of the changes back and forth in three website  moves.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2017 2:42 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

A suggestion I made some time ago regarding setters of challenges received no response. I said that to proceed in an orderly fashion, the author of a piece which the current setter 'liked best' - as we stipulated that there should be no 'winners' - would be the next challenger.

Did you , Luigi?  Missed that, probably because of my own yo- yoing on and off the site!  Now I understand what had been happening to cause me so much dissatisfaction with lack of progress on the re-design, I'm fully re-committed to the site and have re-established my monthly donations, too.  Except for the moment I want to largely restrict feedback and submission activity to this challenge.

Trouble with picking what you think is the 'best' would have me continually selecting savvi, I think! He is astonishing in how he can throw a 'wow' factor piece together at the last minute. He's got 'It' when it comes to a poet's soul as far as I'm concerned!! 🙂 🙂  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2017 3:00 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

It's probably a bad time of year for this, the same is true of my fiction challenge.

Ellie, I think you were so new you had no idea how to set your challenge up, though I saw ionicus trying to help with some guidance.  I actually came up with an idea for this challenge this morning while listening to npr (public radio). But writing so absorbs me I neglect all else that I MUST attend to, especially with the problem I'm facing right now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2017 3:12 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member
Posted by: belcanto

Trouble with picking what you think is the 'best' would have me continually selecting savvi, I think! He is astonishing in how he can throw a 'wow' factor piece together at the last minute. He's got 'It' when it comes to a poet's soul as far as I'm concerned!! 🙂 🙂  

I think you misunderstand me, Bel. I did not mean choose the author which you like best, but that the next challenger should be the author of the piece that the current setter likes in preference to the rest. For instance in Ellie's fiction challenge there are at the moment two entries, 'Sophie' by stevescriber and 'Trial Period' by Ionicus.
Assuming there are no further submissions, if at the end of the challenge she decides that stevescriber's effort is better than the other one he would be the next challenger (unless he wants to delegate somebody else of course).
You and I may go for Savvi's efforts but others might have different ideas and what happens if he doesn't participate?

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2017 4:00 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

I'm online trying to get some banking done and fill out forms relative to my educational loans so I'm watching these notifications pop up from my email service! Must remark on how great an improvement Richard did bring about in the way notifications now happen.  I could never remember, consistently, to check or uncheck those little boxes on submissions, or the forums, for that matter.  

Ionicus, Luigi, you are taking me too seriously in my remarks about savvi. Intended that in a light hearted way.  But I'll further explain my resistance - and I believe savvi's, though we have never discussed it - to the 'winner' or even 'best' selection as a way of deciding who sets the next challenge.  I feel, in either case, that sets us all up in competition with each other, even if considered friendly, rather than encouraging us to write then giving each other support and feedback on whatever is produced to help us improve on or at least receive verification that what we've produced is moving in the right direction.  In other words,  a verification that we're on our way to mastering the art. 

A challenge isn't a competition. There are loads of those if that's what one prefers. But that's why I didn't like e-griff's version of the poetry challenge.  As far as I can see all feedback stops on a piece, or never even starts, once that selection has been made.  I'm left none the wiser on what a reader likes or doesn't like about what I've written if I'm not that winner.

If you're going to turn a challenge into a competition with a winner or best you have to explain/justify why you chose the winner.  Richard did that, briefly, but did anyone else get much feedback on their entries?

I think a competition is a different creature and can be excellent for promoting more accomplished writers.  The best way to break into the larger network out there too, imo.  You  can get excellent, in depth feedback on why winner and runners-up are selected by some respected or distinguished and published writer.  All a very big deal as a way to receive larger recognition of your work. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2017 5:18 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member

I tried my best to give constructive suggestions but I seem to be wasting my time. Why don't people read precisely what I say! I never spoke about having a competition. I said: that to proceed in an orderly fashion, the author of a piece which the current setter 'liked best' - as we stipulated that there should be no 'winners' - would be the next challenger.

Liking does not equate to choosing a winner.

Don't bother to reply as I am taking a back seat and shall only resume activity whenever I feel that this site is properly functional.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2017 5:43 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

I understood perfectly what you were offering as a suggestion, Luigi and why.  Your opinion is very appreciated and valued by me and everyone else who likes to use the poetry challenge. You're not wasting your time at all, and this poetry forum IS the place to iron out how we participants would like to see the challenge run.  I was only giving my explanation of why I wouldn't choose that option.  But I'm not in control of anything here. I'm just sitting around the same  conference table in talking about how to streamline the process.  Exchanging ideas, I'd hoped.  I would hate to see you taking a back seat, you're such a vital part of the site with your committed presence and contribution in encouraging others with comments on their work - though I certainly understand why you would since I've been in the same place.  It makes me very sad, though, that anything I've said here would cause you to exit, especially from this challenge.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2017 6:14 pm
Share: