Poetry Challenge fo...

Poetry Challenge for Monday, January 8: Black & White  

RSS
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Reminder: post to main site in poetry challenge category ON publishing date, Jan 8 and no earlier.  Please offer feedback/comment on the work of all other entrants.  (my 'possible' is already held in draft so I can revise/ edit at any time forward).

Black & White:  

some earlier UK pics to inspire -

https://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/museum-london/whats-on/exhibitions/london-nights

Find a picture from the more distant past whether of personal family/friends or of strangers,
whether a particular place/scene or cultural event known to you, or not. Write a poem  about what you see in that picture involving your family/that person/place/strangers or event. Those animals or pets and what was happening to them or around them.

Take into account the cultural/political/ethos of the time - but you could also imagine  your subject/place into the present (for us), the future for them, if you like.  You can even imagine a black and white photograph and how it speaks to you, the story it tells you! 

Write in any poetic form you wish.  A black and white photo, whether personal or found on the Internet, would enhance your entry, to  my way of thinking.  And though my sample poem is dark in tone, a humorous and lighter take on this challenge would be delightful, too.  🙂

An example from Sharon Olds book, The  Dead And The Living:

Nevsky Prospekt

(July 1917)

It is an old photo,very black
and very white. One woman
lifts up her heavy skirt as she runs.
A man in a white jacket, his hands
tied behind his back, runs
his chin stuck out. An old woman
in massive black turns and looks behind her.
A man throws himself onto the pavement.
A child in heavy boots is running
but looks back over his shoulder
at the black and white heap of bodies.
The wide grey stone square
is dotted with fallen inky shapes
and dropped white hats. Everything else
is heaving away like a sea from the noise
we feel in the silence of the photograph
the way the deaf feel sound: the terrible
voice of the sub-machine guns saying
This is more important than your life.

Incidentally, it's entirely possible Olds 'imagined' her picture ( as I suggest you can). The only ones I found were from quite a distance (as above) and there's no way you can see the kind of detail she describes.  🙂

Posted : December 18, 2017 7:17 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

thanks, very interesting, I will try. 

nice deadline too

hope many will participate so that they feel the great gift of writing in their hearts how warm it is and how divine.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 18, 2017 10:30 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Glad you think it interesting, IYP.   🙂   Deliberately avoiding  date close to New Year's Day, so seems far into the future, I'm afraid..

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 19, 2017 10:52 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

oh dear, I just realized that I was wrong, for some reason I thought it was about a photo black and white which was not artistic but of either real events or real people/beings

so I found the picture of a moth black and white which has the name of one of the Fates, thinking that surely this is the oldest memory people have in the collective subconscious

i will post but search for another pic too just in case you think it cannot be linked with the poetry challenge you set.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 6, 2018 10:20 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

my misunderstanding could have occurred because I absolutely detest speaking about anything political or "historical" these days. and I really wanted to write something for poetry challenges.

🙁

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 6, 2018 10:24 am
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Far too many directives given, aren't there? I just managed to confuse more than clarify!  I think your idea sounds brilliant!  Go off on any tangent you like; that's what creativity is all about.  Look at OR IMAGINE any black & white picture to kick off your poem.  You seem to explore and write a lot about the psychology/philosophy of life so go for it in the challenge too, if you like!   I don't have a pic up at the moment because the subjects are family. Feels wrong.  Too personal.  And published poets seldom use accompanying pictures anyway,  even when describing what is in one. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 6, 2018 6:46 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

your reply makes me glad..

by the way:

it's unconscious not subconscious sorry, and I cannot claim it's because of english-greek at all that I used the wrong word, you see I keep saying it in my language too υποσυνείδητο συλλογικό instead of συλλογικό ασυνείδητο. i really don't see how it is possible to use unconscious since anything whether it is individually or collectively at least observable must be conscious or subconscious in order to claim it has any kind of primal, primary or optimal/divine awareness of any environment it may manifest itself. and unconscious ασυνείδητο means without consciousness. so in my opinion it is not a valid way of defining what is far too subconscious to be subconsciously conscious enough  furthermore it is impossible to find any role for such an absolutely thoughtless/noncognitive state of unawareness in a cosmic or cosmological evaluation of any sort of being and any kind of thing with or without a soul. it is the mindless world of inanimate objects that we may PERHAPS maintain that they are devoid of all forms of consciousness thus collectively unconscious, in fact it is those inanimate objects that have never been observed and/or touched by animae or ideas.

and no I do not do drugs. but I guess it could be difficult for a person that doesn't do drugs to understand what i am saying... in fact I may have to do drugs to understand what I just said....oh well. funny enough to become part of my story Emailtoaetc.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 6, 2018 9:43 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

and no I do not do drugs. but I guess it could be difficult for a person that doesn't do drugs to understand what i am saying... in fact I may have to do drugs to understand what I just said....oh well. funny enough to become part of my story Emailtoaetc.

Ha Ha Ha  Yes, definitely funny enough for your Email series.  They are all amusing to read- and thereby subtly instructive because of that inclusion.  People start to think about what it is you are saying. You seem to me rather like a very good stand-up comedian who gets his/her point across by using a self deprecating humor. Your audience is not so much laughing at you, as with you. 

As for the unconscious - well I understand it from a Jungian perspective. When Jim, my therapist in the past, said someone was 'a good man, but totally unconscious', I knew he meant that man was completely unaware of why he acted in the way he did, made the decisions he did etc..  So it's unawareness.  Not understanding oneself. Uncomfortable with and refusing the idea of that kind of self exploration.    
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 7, 2018 5:00 pm
Share: