Let's write a Haibu...

Let's write a Haibun that contains the word VERITAS.  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haibun

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veritas

I plead not ordinary

Posted : July 1, 2017 7:45 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member

You did not set a date for this challenge, Nic.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2017 9:58 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

September 1st (Friday)

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2017 4:47 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

(by then I might win the lottery (jackpot) and there will be a special prize for the best poem, 3 thousand GBP and a special donation to Ukauthors, 10 thousand GBP.)

Good luck to all of us! (mandatorily me)

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2017 4:54 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Know you're joking about a prize iyp, but can we please avoid the notion of  a 'best poem' and the old way of the challenge setter deciding which one that should be?  When savvi revitalized this challenge he did away with that format.   Challenge submissions to the main site should be as eligible for a Great Read (or uka pick) as any other.  Surely, that's good enough.  Eggs are out!  

What we're looking for is feedback from other participants. Suggestions, analysis. Perhaps some critique.  At least, that's how I see it.  I, for one, won't participate, otherwise.      

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2017 6:19 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

not joking if i win the lottery (jackpot) i will give to every poem submitted 1000 GBP and the best one will get 3000. UKA will get a big donation too.

you never know....

I miss the golden egg by the way.

well write one the challenge is haibun/veritas Sept 1.

and I'm looking forward to any new challenges prizes or not. in fact I will donate my prize if there is any to the second best poem.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2017 10:26 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

I'm confused.  You seem to be deciding you want to return to the original poetry challenge format, complete with eggs and best poem awards decided by the one who sets the challenge.  Problem is, that's not the challenge format  I participated in on this newly developing site over the last year or so. 

Perhaps others agree with you and are quite happy to  return to the 'old way' of competing to write the 'best' challenge poem.  So be it.  I'm not one of them.  But what IS unclear as mud right now is what the guidelines for this challenge are to be, in future.

The challenge as re-envisioned by savvi has run into all kinds of problems mostly due to technical difficulties on site. The second challenge go-round occurred in the midst of a hack which wiped out all comments.  Then we were moving to a forum type site and abandoning THIS one. Since all this back and forth dithering the challenge has been largely lost in translation, so to speak, and we continue to experience glitches galore all over the place which is discouraging, to say the least.

I appreciate, iyp, that you are stepping into the breach and trying to get the challenge going again. But let's be clear about what it is we are aiming for. What we want to get out of it.  If you wish to return to the former guidelines as set by griff, I believe, then make that crystal clear before you go any further. Otherwise stop talking about best poems and golden eggs. 

Unfortunately, the way I'm understanding your intent at the moment, iyp,  this challenge is no longer for me.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2017 3:39 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

of course I liked the Golden Eggs and got at least six of them and most of us got one or more than six.

they were lovely and a nice peaceful way of showing appreciation there was never anything bad about the golden eggs! who claims the opposite? and on what grounds?

but bringing the golden egg system back is not the reason I said I liked them! or that I would have absolutely no problem if the golden eggs reappeared!

the part about the money is true, if I win the lottery by then I will give money to all participants and uka and of course there would have to be a winner, it was not a cheap trick to attract anyone, my luck believe it or not is not attractive!

well maybe ugly beautiful 

anyway haibun you know how to write haibuns and if you find the word inspiring already or maybe you will have an idea by August the 30th submit a poem. it's for you! not for me.

I had an idea and I would like to write a brand new haibun based on this specific word and that's all.

-------

the challenge is simple, a haibun the word veritas a deadline. if by then the golden eggs reappear then I will of course use them. if not that's ok. I won't be selecting the best poem if there are no golden eggs or no lottery winnings (jackpot) 

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2017 12:28 am
e-griff
(@e-griff)
Trusted Member

I don't understand this discussion. The guidelines at the head of the forum are (I hope) the same as I used when savvi was promoting. There are no golden eggs or 'I liked that best'.

The golden egg style ran as a, WEEKLY challenge for poetry and prose it was  successfully for many years before people lost interest. 

The poetry and prose challenges have always been ad hoc with people suggesting challenges to stretch us. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 10, 2017 3:14 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

Well that makes two of us then, I do not understand why what was considered a joke - but wasn't - and my liking Golden eggs and saying it has brought up so many issues irrelevant to the challenge. I saw the new forum - had an idea - posted it, according to the initial guidelines that did not mention a deadline I was correct, then Luigi said that a deadline is needed, I tried for the sake of my luck to set a nice date (more weeks more chances to win the lottery) and I thought it was all ok. it wasn't it seems! 

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 10, 2017 6:23 pm
e-griff
(@e-griff)
Trusted Member

I was mostly responding to shelagh's concerns. 

But just in my opinion, you might be better proposing a much simpler challenge to start things off, such as just giving a subject, like 'cats' 'food' what ever.

That's just a suggestion.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 10, 2017 7:34 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

no. Veritas, Truth

https://history.hanover.edu/courses/excerpts/211plat3.html

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2017 11:09 pm
e-griff
(@e-griff)
Trusted Member

Yeah, fine. 

But a haibun? The problem is that the definition of a haibun is obscure and rather complicated, and there are different explanations. Perhaps we should be encouraging people to take part with something simpler to begin with. But it's up to you. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2017 10:06 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

a prose section followed by a haiku, nothing obscure about it, it is also a way to feel free to write prose too. just a short poetic prose section.

a haibun is a form that is not difficult and for me anything that combines a prose section and a haiku is a haibun.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2017 6:06 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

haibun may record a scene, or a special moment, in a highly descriptive and objective manner or may occupy a wholly fictional or dream-like space.[citation needed] The accompanying haiku may have a direct or subtle relationship with the prose and encompass or hint at the gist of what is recorded in the prose sections.

Several distinct schools of English haibun have been described,[12] including Reportage narrative mode such as Robert Wilson's Vietnam RuminationsHaibunic prose, and the Templum effect.

Contemporary practice of haibun composition in English is continually evolving.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haibun

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2017 6:07 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: