Challenge to write ...

Challenge to write a poem about nature (submit on main site on Monday 25th Sept)  

RSS
savvi
(@savvi)
Eminent Member

Due to unpressidented success of the previous challenge I have decided to go again, with an easy topic for all you nature lovers. It could be the seasons that inspire you or the ultraviolet flash of a Kingfisher that becomes your muse and much much more so click open your pens and be at one with nature, either way Remember to post for the Monday slot you can choose any format and as many words as you like.

My only rule is that every poet that submits a piece gives feedback to all the other submissions, even if you just say one thing you liked about the other poems. NB * Feedback is the part of the site that helps us recognise when we have written something great and something that helps us grow as poets. Learn how to give it and take it , it's important.

Posted : September 18, 2017 5:03 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Oh heck!  Was going to ask if I should throw down the gauntlet for the next challenge.   I was too preoccupied reading and reacting to other stuff going on around here.  🙁

Will say one thing, savvi.  Think weekly challenges are too much of a strain on people's time and writing habits.  At least for me they are.  My suggestion would be more like two weeks: Monday, October 2 was the deadline I had in mind.  Like you, I wanted to avoid having to respond over weekends when most have families and a busy personal life to attend.       

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 18, 2017 6:11 pm
savvi
(@savvi)
Eminent Member

@ belcanto, That sounds good, I'm not really bothered by time scales. But now this one is up, we can see it through, then next week Monday 25th  you could post one for submitting on Monday the 9th Oct, if thats ok ?

Its also not compulsary to submit a poem everytime a challenge is set, we all understand time pressures and that life in general gets in the way sometimes. I look forward to reading your challenge. Keith

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 19, 2017 5:33 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Not compulsory, but with so few contributing  (to ANYTHING right now) seems like we'd  better find a way if we want to get this poetry challenge up on its feet again!  And I do.  It's the one thing I'm most enthusiastic about, especially because it can inspire new work.   I was rather pleased with the two newly created poems I came up with for the first two challenges.   It also gives us the opportunity to practice offering critique/feedback.

I'll rake over the ashes of old stuff if all else fails. Would encourage others to have a go doing the same - as both ifyouplease and I did last week.

October 9 it will be then. Prepare yourself.   *grin*

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 19, 2017 6:41 pm
savvi
(@savvi)
Eminent Member

Totally agree with everything you say and it has got me writting again aswell so can't all be bad. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2017 6:59 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Sorry savvi. Haven't been inspired to write anything in time, nor could I find  an older unpublished piece that would work.  🙁

Well, this was a dumb post! Was thinking I'd run out of time yesterday! Who knows, if I scramble....

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2017 11:02 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

I will try. 

it would be helpful for feedback if somebody posted the links of all submissions that participated in a challenge. 

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2017 12:05 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member

Nic, if we put (Poetry Challenge) alongside the title the relevant submissions will stand out.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2017 9:05 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

Some people like viewing the forums first, I know I am one of these people, and I know I would appreciate greatly if the person that set the challenge gathered all the links, in fact it would be the first page I would check, the brand new reply to the challenge topic by the original poster containing all the links! I would click on all of them, dozens of new tabs would appear. 🙂

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2017 10:51 am
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

That's not a bad idea, iyp.  Another way of instant-linking to work that connects visitors and writers alike to the interactive network that is UKA. Or used to be and will be again if some of us have any say in the matter!

Seems as if posting the links to the poetry challenge forum  would have to be the responsibility of the one who sets the challenge.  If we do agree to adopt this practice, just hope I can remember how to get links to work on the forums here!  The times I've tried have mostly resulted in abject failure! The other tricky part for me would be timing, for these links should go up as soon as the work is published and I'm at least five hours behind  the whole of Europe's tick-tocking world.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2017 8:19 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Regretfully, I'm going to be letting everyone down on the poetry challenge I was so excited to rejoin.  Have decided to leave the site, thus won't be participating or posting the next challenge. Trust savvi will keep things going though.  This is the best thing going on UKA right now!  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2017 6:27 pm
savvi
(@savvi)
Eminent Member

Oh dear me, what is going on ? I don't understand all the politics surely it enough to post a poem or prose, give some feedback and get some feedback. I don't understand how the site can have so many readers and so few comments from members. Sure we will keep on keeping on, but come on guys chin up and choose uka.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 25, 2017 8:13 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

sorry my poem wasn't finished. but it will be soon, I will submit a poem next week or Friday. sorry!

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 26, 2017 12:53 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

oh yes indeed it seems Belcanto really left! I was in a big hurry and just apologized for not having finished a poem to post and hadn't seen her reply. 

Savvi I will post a poem for your challenge. I think it is ready. 

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2017 3:01 am
Share: