Challenge is to wri...

Challenge is to write an Ekphrastic poem ( closes 15th Sept 2017 )  

RSS
savvi
(@savvi)
Eminent Member

Post a picture and write a poem about it ( all post into the main site by the 15th Sept 2017 ) please try and comment on each other's poems, and remember no winners just feedback to the requested level, themes the rules. Best Keith

Posted : September 10, 2017 11:57 am
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Hey, aren't YOU a sight for sore eyes on here!  Great to see you back, savvi, and with a good challenge. I'll try, but three days is short notice for me especially with everything I have going on - though do have an oldie not currently posted I could fall back on (just to keep my hand in the game and  show my enthusiasm for your initiative in changing the rules-  you DO mean 'thems' the rules, don't you? *grin* )  Not sure I feel comfortable posting the pic though.  Far too personal. Can we get away with NOT doing that?   I've read any number of poems about pic content that didn't display the pic being described. 

Hope others join in.  Shame the invitation to try prose and poetry challenges has vanished from the front page.  Where's Richard when we need him???    

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2017 8:51 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Savvi, you've got me interested in participating on here again!  I've stuck up the old poem minus pic at the moment. Hope that's okay.  Also toying with something actually new,  but so much to think about, so little time!  🙂  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2017 6:10 pm
savvi
(@savvi)
Eminent Member

Hey belcanto, no problem at all with the pic, just glad you've posted, thanks for joining in. I did mean thems the rules. I did think it was short notice so glad you had one up your sleeve. 😃 Best Keith

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2017 9:51 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member

Sorry to butt in folks. The Poetry Foundation defines an ekphrastic poem as follows:
An ekphrastic poem is a vivid description of a scene or, more commonly, a work of art. Through the imaginative act of narrating and reflecting on the “action” of a painting or sculpture, the poet may amplify and expand its meaning.

Any such poem without a picture would, in my opinion, be meaningless.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2017 10:50 am
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Yes, you're right ionicus. When you get that specific ( write an Ekphrastic poem) there's an actual picture, link or at least the name of the piece of art being described included so that readers can judge the effectiveness of the poem. I was referencing the many poems I've read that just describe a postcard or photograph.  There's the rub, savvi!  Sorry.  Will remove my entry.  Not putting up a family photo.  Too personal. If it's of me, that's one thing, but dead relatives don't have any say in the matter, do they? Not going to use them in that way, especially when people on the Internet lift photos all the time for their own purposes.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2017 5:19 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

I've come across another very old piece with a pic I think well reflects the contents. Not strictly Ekphrastic  - just like the first poem posted - but I want us to succeed in reviving this challenge so I'm going to throw it in there. The more entrants and comments, the more interest the challenge will arouse.  I hope!   

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2017 10:20 pm
Share: