Brand new challenge for the bold poets of UKA!! CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT MORE.  

Page 1 / 3 Next
  RSS

ifyouplease
Trusted Member

ifyouplease's
Writing
October 17, 2017 12:20 am  

DEADLINE, 26 NOVEMBER 2017. 

WRITE A VERBLESS POEM ABOUT WINTER!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbless_poetry

I plead not ordinary

ukadmin liked
ReplyQuote
shywolf
Trusted Member

shywolf's
Writing
October 17, 2017 3:43 am  

Sounds intriguing.  You do come up with the most unusual challenges, but I think I like this one.

Instead of trying to undo the biting of the old apple/I bite a new one instead/And with a toothless grin/Become a Dionysian among Christians.

ifyouplease liked
ReplyQuote
ifyouplease
Trusted Member

ifyouplease's
Writing
October 17, 2017 3:46 am  

Great!

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
belcanto
Reputable Member

belcanto's
Writing
October 17, 2017 6:16 pm  

Hey, great to see the challenge iyp! Said I'd venture back to participate on poetry challenge, and here I am.  Very interesting one, too, but following your link doesn't easily lead to such poems.  Can you provide a link to an actual verb-less poem - or post an example of one?

And about your submissions deadline....  Perhaps you didn't mean November 26, which is a Sunday and about a year away...well not really a year. * grin*  Just sounds a long way off to me.  I'm for more than a week but less than a month, myself.  But if it turns out you mean a week I'll hustle my butt to get some creative juices flowing, no matter what. 

Thanks for posting a challenge.  You're a sweetheart.   

ifyouplease liked
ReplyQuote
ifyouplease
Trusted Member

ifyouplease's
Writing
October 17, 2017 11:49 pm  

26 Nov you finish editing and submit it -- publishing day is Monday, lots of time to write something, you can submit earlier as many poems as you want, on the main site, the deadline simply means the challenge has ended.

thanks dear S 🙂

i must say that when I set a challenge this does not mean another member should wait before setting his/her own! In fact that's why my "deadlines" may seem long way off as Belcanto said.

I'd be happy to participate in any challenge even though mine is still valid and has not expired!

from wiki it's simply:

verbless poem, a poem without verbs.[1] Ezra Pound's "In a Station of the Metro" is a verbless poem of fourteen words:

The apparation of these faces in the crowd;
Petals on a wet, black bough.

I plead not ordinary

michel liked
ReplyQuote
ifyouplease
Trusted Member

ifyouplease's
Writing
October 17, 2017 11:54 pm  

I think it would be lovely if we had three or four challenges that way we could all try to submit something for each one. Anything to keep people active as poets and coming back!

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
ifyouplease
Trusted Member

ifyouplease's
Writing
October 18, 2017 12:05 am  

here is an awesome link

https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/text/verbless-poetry-poets-glossary

verbless poetry: Poems without verbs. On one hand, the verbless poem can create a static quality, a sense of the arrested moment, which is why it has appealed to poets who write haiku and other types of imagist poems. For example, Ezra Pound’s defining imagist poem, “In a Station of the Metro,” consists of fourteen words without a verb. It juxtaposes two images without a comment, suggesting rather than stating the relationship, and in the process freezes a moment in time. 

I plead not ordinary

michel liked
ReplyQuote
e-griff
Estimable Member

e-griff's
Writing
October 18, 2017 12:35 pm  

Very interesting challenge. Restrictive, but it's the difficulty the draws out the creativity. 

ifyouplease liked
ReplyQuote
RLW
 RLW

RLW's
Writing
October 18, 2017 10:54 pm  

Love this challenge. Have sharpened my pencils.

ifyouplease liked
ReplyQuote
belcanto
Reputable Member

belcanto's
Writing
October 19, 2017 1:16 am  

26 Nov you finish editing and submit it -- publishing day is Monday, lots of time to write something, you can submit earlier as many poems as you want, on the main site, the deadline simply means the challenge has ended.

IYP, you're forgetting how quickly any submissions and the comments attached to them are going to disappear into the ether after a day or three (depending on the number of submissions and responses).  Yes, we will be able to find these challenge poems and add any belated comments/responses etc.. But beyond a very short window of opportunity we won't see any of that interaction and  exchange of thoughts on the front page.  

More importantly, neither will anyone else. 

Not conducive to creative workshop/challenge purposes.  As I keep repeating, the present comment flow set-up and its links to all work disappoints.  Big time!

ReplyQuote
belcanto
Reputable Member

belcanto's
Writing
October 19, 2017 7:32 am  

Done, done, done! Three verses with zillions of verb like nouns! You'll probably denounce and debunk!  Ah well. At least the challenge worked to inspire a little creativity.  Thanks, iyp.  🙂

Ionicus and moi for Friday, so far.   Hmm... 

ReplyQuote
ifyouplease
Trusted Member

ifyouplease's
Writing
October 19, 2017 4:09 pm  

you're welcome Bel, I like deadlines that don't cause anxiety, the challenge is already a stressful task. the site is slowly and hopefully soon be in better shape regarding new submissions and new members and last but not least old members that come back. in two weeks or four it may have escaped a bad fate, meanwhile there WILL be an active challenge in this critical phase. that's why I picked this particular date.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
RLW
 RLW

RLW's
Writing
October 19, 2017 7:58 pm  

So, from reading posts above, I take it we submit our challenge poems to the site, not here? I have some vague recollection that on the previous site we posted them here. If we post on the site should we title them as challenge poems? And is it better to leave posting until the deadline or when you are ready? 

Sorry for the list of questions...

Rachel 😊

ReplyQuote
RLW
 RLW

RLW's
Writing
October 19, 2017 7:59 pm  

And even more sorry if any questions were answered clearly above and I have not read through properly! 😉

Edited: 4 weeks  ago

ReplyQuote
RLW
 RLW

RLW's
Writing
October 19, 2017 8:09 pm  

Ermmmm. No need to reply. Just clicked on home page and answered all my own questions....😊

ifyouplease and ukadmin liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3 Next

Working

Please Login or Register