ANTHOLOGY 2017/2018...

ANTHOLOGY 2017/2018 CONTENT ANNOUNCED!  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Honorable Member

The plot thickens...Seems that Trevor has been shown the door...no warning, no explanation and no permission to delete his comments.

He is unable to access the site even to retrieve his work. 🙁
He has contacted me but I am as much in the dark as he is.

This does not sit well with me for all sorts of reasons. He and I may have disagreed on some things, that happens... but he was a valuable member who contributed greatly over the years. Fair is fair and this is blatently not fair or a transparent way of going about things.
Unlike some, he posted and interacted with others and I did enjoy his thoughtful comments on my work as he had tremendous insight and read poems well. His work raised the bar for this site and his loss is sad for me.
I loved his work, period.

I dont know what went on behind the scenes but cannot imagine it was serious enough to warrant this way of treating a long-time member.

I am sad to see the problems over the anthology but I do respect people's opinions as being valid to them. I am only concenred about Andrea having to deal with any unpleasantness.
Perhaps our interaction regarding him taking his poems out of the anthology did not help and I apologise if it offended anybody. I considered it mostly tongue in cheek and I think he did too. 😉 poets are very emotional and sensitive people so we maybe do over react at times. 🙁
However, I simply cannot begin to imagine the hurt, anxiety and distress to suddenly find that I had been simply shut out as he has.

It's a shameful way to treat somebody.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2017 7:21 pm
andrea
(@andrea)
Prominent Member Admin

Alison, I agree with you - I have been away and had no idea what happened - we are now trying to sort it out.

Ax

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 16, 2017 8:58 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member

I raised the issue of Trevor's disappearance from the site in the Discuss UKA forum and although my post was read 23 times my question went unanswered. I got used by now at my queries being ignored and it didn't bother me but now I see that I am not the only one concerned.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 17, 2017 10:18 am
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Honorable Member

That's great Boss. I did not notice your post Luigi.
I was only aware of what happened when I first chanced upon the thread to see my posts altered and deleted with no permission / warning...which got my dander up...then Trevor contacted me and it all made some kind of sense.

Yes, I think transparency is important and needs to be addressed.
I do hope he will come back and it will all blow over but I'm not holding my breath 🙁

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 17, 2017 11:19 am
andrea
(@andrea)
Prominent Member Admin

Comments gone? What comments??

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 17, 2017 8:55 pm
andrea
(@andrea)
Prominent Member Admin

Oh, sorry Alison, didn't realise there was a page 2 🙂

Sorry, Luigi, didn't see you post re Trevor, but we are investigating as we speak!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 17, 2017 8:57 pm
e-griff
(@e-griff)
Trusted Member

Alison, I've sent you an email explaining, as I found the original one sent at the time went astray. Two others were informed also.

When Gothicman was barred, he asked Andrea for all his comments and submissions to be deleted . Later he said he wanted to retrieve his work, so as I understand it Richard is trying to do that.

I explained in my mail that the deleted posts were replies to Gothicman's on the thread so made no sense in isolation.

G

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 18, 2017 1:17 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member

While this is obviously between Trevor and the site owners, I agree with Alison that he has been a very valuable member of the site and will be missed. These really are sad times for UKA.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 18, 2017 3:16 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Since Andrea was away and had no knowledge of the exchanges which took place on this thread, who had the authority and made the decision to bar Goth?   And for what reason? I would have thought barring someone, especially such an extremely active and talented member of UKA, would have to be over a very serious violation of this site's principles and practice.  I would have thought this flare-up between two people (already regretted by both parties, it would seem) and criticism expressed by Goth here would be something to be discussed between all parties privately, to get the facts straight.

Leaves a sour taste in my mouth.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 18, 2017 5:42 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member

Terms & Conditions of Use

Those are the conditions of use. I didn't see anything posted against those terms but, of course, it's possible I missed something. As posts are missing and edited, it's impossible to say now.

However, Andrea said she's looking into things and I know she won't want to lose such a valuable member without very good cause. if there is any other way of dealing with this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 18, 2017 6:00 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Where did you find that link, gee ?!!!  I'm FOREVER complaining because I can't see any link to guidelines whatsoever on the front page.  I saw some links provided by ionicus on the shoutbox when I logged in today, but that was in posting pics, I think.  

But you're right. I can see that comments and even submissions can be removed if deemed seriously offensive, but there's no reference to barring someone.  From past rare occasions of this happening,  I think there has to be a complaint and inquiry before any such move. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 18, 2017 6:36 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member
Posted by: belcanto

Where did you find that link, gee ?!!!  I'm FOREVER complaining because I can't see any link to guidelines whatsoever on the front page.  I saw some links provided by ionicus on the shoutbox when I logged in today, but that was in posting pics, I think.  

But you're right. I can see that comments and even submissions can be removed if deemed seriously offensive, but there's no reference to barring someone.  From past rare occasions of this happening,  I think there has to be a complaint and inquiry before any such move. 

Hi Belcanto, it's at the bottom of this page. There's a link to UKAPress, Copyright Notice and then T & C (terms and conditions) . I think quite a few links still go to old pages that no longer exist because they are on the WABD site. As for the ones Ionicus posted today, only one worked for me and the other two were not found. 

As for barring someone, I can't remember seeing it happen before. Of course, it could have and I haven't noticed. With Trevor, he's such a part of the site, it's very noticeable that he's missing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 18, 2017 6:59 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Oh!  A couple of Goth's older pieces have suddenly appeared on the submission entries for today!  This has been resolved!  🙂 🙂 

Well.  At least he's back on site.  Hopefully, the rest can be worked out. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 18, 2017 11:44 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member
Hi Belcanto, it's at the bottom of this page. There's a link to UKAPress, Copyright Notice and then T & C (terms and conditions) . I think quite a few links still go to old pages that no longer exist because they are on the WABD site. As for the ones Ionicus posted today, only one worked for me and the other two were not found. 

Gee, I'm gobsmacked!  Never would have thought to find important links there.  Never noticed them before. It's like the small print on many contracts: something you often overlook.  🙂    Thanks.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 18, 2017 11:57 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member
Posted by: gee

I have found the T &C you mention, Gee, and am somewhat confused.
First of of all it is headed NEW ACCOUNT. Don't these terms apply to established accounts?
Secondly, it says that they were (revised March 2017). How do they differ from the original T&C and were the changes explained to the members?
Further on it is stated: "You agree that the webmaster & editor(s) of this website have the right to move or close any submission or comment at any time should they see fit." Fair enough but don't the membershave the right to know the reasons or is it a unilateral decision?
Finally: "You agree that these terms and conditions may change from time to time." Again, transparency as to why the changes are made is needed.

Am I the only one who doesn't understand these Terms and Conditions?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 19, 2017 10:22 am
Page 2 / 3
Share: