Forum

Notifications
Clear all

HELLO  

RSS
Oldtimer44
(@oldtimer44)

Totally new here. I am not a published author, but more a wannabe. At my age I feel I can entertain with my life experiences having been born in America, served eight years in the U S Air Force five spent abroad including that holiday favourite Vietnam which wasn’t, very welcoming to US servicemen when I was there in 1964. Having married a biritish woman in 1969 decided to try living and working in England after leaving the military in 1971. It wasn’t, easy living and working in the London area industrial security mostly nights for over thirty years yet I survived it and managed to raise two lovely children as well. Moved to Cheshire in 2002 to be nearer my son and his family and then he emigrated to Australia in 2007. Retired from working in 2009 and spend my time listening to oldies music, watching mostly American sports and tying trout fishing flies as I use my new garden shed as a tying work area. I,m also a fair artist and do painting when I need a change. I,m mainly looking for directions to look to perhaps publish either fiction or non fiction books. As a pensioner any money made would be nice, but not all that important, more interested to see if anyone might find my efforts worth reading. Thank You.

Posted : October 18, 2017 4:20 pm
ukadmin liked
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)

Hello.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who served in Nam though I do know a few journos and photographers who were there. Must have been bloody awful.

Glad you found your way to UKA and I hope you get the support you're looking for with your writing. This can be quite a fun place to be when we're not eating each other. Cheers for now.

Chrissy.

Do no harm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 21, 2017 1:36 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Eminent Member

Hi, from an old timer to another. I too live in Cheshire. I have contributed to this website since the year dot (2003) although it has been recently relaunched.

As Chrissy says it can be quite fun when we are not eating each other but as you have survived Vietnam you must be made of sterner stuff.
Welcome.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 21, 2017 2:25 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)

Such an interesting introduction. Welcome!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 21, 2017 3:45 pm
shywolf
(@shywolf)
Reputable Member

Welcome, from the other side of the pond (Canada).  We're a bit wacky at times (some of us all the time), but that's part of our charm.  Whether you're serious or playful, there's plenty here for you at UKA.  I look forward to seeing some of your work and/or participation in the forums.

Shywolf

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2017 3:45 am
Oldtimer44
(@oldtimer44)

Hi Shywolf. Where in Canada are you from? As a younger man spent some time in Manitoba, Ontario and British Columbia which isn,t far from Anacortes, Washington where I was born. I love fishing and would love to go fishing in your country at least once more before I shuffle off this confused planet to parts unknown.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2017 9:05 am
Oldtimer44
(@oldtimer44)

Hi Ionicus. I,m in Altrincham. Yes I guess I,m lucky too still be here as my guardian angels are pretty good. Surviving agent orange is only by God,s own luck as I know colleagues who have suffered from it and family members as well, but so far so good. Don,t think I,d ever write about my Southeast Asia adventure as even now fifty three years on it brings back memories I,d rather to keep in my black box of bad dreams. If only Vietnam had been a dream! Hope to chat to you more in future.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2017 9:11 am
Oldtimer44
(@oldtimer44)

Thank You. Have started stories many times, but never bothered to finish as had no clue how to get them published. Hope to interact mote in future with you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2017 9:13 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Eminent Member

Oh, I see. Not very far. I am in Handforth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2017 1:04 pm
andrea
(@andrea)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi there, OT - welcome to UKA Smile

One of my dearest friends (from Alabama) was a Viet Vet - sadly he died from Agent-Orange-related cancer in the late 70s - bloody awful times.

Anyway, hope you will enjoy your time here...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2017 8:56 pm
shywolf
(@shywolf)
Reputable Member
Posted by: Oldtimer44

Hi Shywolf. Where in Canada are you from? As a younger man spent some time in Manitoba, Ontario and British Columbia which isn,t far from Anacortes, Washington where I was born. I love fishing and would love to go fishing in your country at least once more before I shuffle off this confused planet to parts unknown.

I'm from North Bay, Ontario.  We have some good walleye fishing in these parts and I think you'd love the scenery as well as the people.  Maybe someday before you 'shuffle off this confused planet to parts unknown.'  Until then, welcome aboard the good ship UKA!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 26, 2017 2:59 am
Ellie
(@ellie)

Hello Old timer,

From what I understand you haven't written anything yet, but are looking for suggestions? If so it would depend on what interests you. I can't imagine anyone being able to write about something that they have absolutely no interest in. Your experiences in Vietnam would interest many people - myself included. Or a 'novel' based on the period of time you were there. It is always useful to write about things you know. 

Ellie

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2017 4:11 pm
Share: