A bungled profile - But ayup anyway!

13 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Dodgem
(@dodgem)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Is it the lock-down, or is just me? um.....probably the latter; anyway, this is to say hello; after I've managed to post my profile half finished, plus there is no way I was able to post a picture - it was either too small, or when the right size, selected a portion that cut off much of my face; so I reduced the photo, and.....too small again. Um? I decided to go away, have a lie down, and start again. This time I gave up on the photo, so started typing in my profile, with the result that I managed to submit it half finished. So lets say I'm the enigmatic - faceless - life story unfinished - type of person!! I should add, that what brought me here, was a book I picked up in a charity shop some time ago, which I've recently unearthed - title: Modern Poets of 2013 - United Press. The content was a bit uneven, but I thought I'd google United Press, and the rest is history. I found that (as I suspected) they were a vanity printing press. So, United Press did me a favour, putting me in touch with several websites - including here, for poets and lovers of poetry. So far I've built up a modest body of work, for which I've had editorial help from a retired editor. I may get around to finishing my profile, but until then, I'm glad to be here, and hope to contribute in a positive way. 🙂  

Posted : January 14, 2021 3:12 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Reputable Member

@dodgem

Ayup to you too, Dodgem! 🙂 

You could stick some of your bio on here, pro tem. There are quite a few poets on UKA so you'll be in good company. Stormwolf (Alison) is the mod who generally keeps an eye on the poetry coral but she's virtually unemployed and Franciman (Jim) is the overall moderator.

Andrea and Richard are the founder members and run the site as a whole. Submission publishing days are Mondays and Fridays, with a maximum of two pieces each day.

Steve

Posted : January 14, 2021 7:37 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Reputable Member

@dodgem
I don't know if this helps: click on 'you'; you should get a link that says 'Click to manage your profile images '. This should give you access to edit your profile (text and photo).
But, failing that, your best bet is to contact the webmaster

Primary contact email:

webmaster @ ukauthors.com or

Richard = redirect7 @ gmail .com

Good luck.

Posted : January 15, 2021 11:30 am
Dodgem
(@dodgem)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks stevef and ionicus

I'll take you kind advice; at the moment I'm wrestling with an unfinished poem; actually, quite a few. The muse gives me good first stanza's, then I find the actual work begins; but I will put my head over the parapet. 

Best.....Dodgem

Posted : January 15, 2021 3:13 pm
Dodgem
(@dodgem)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Jut to let you both know; I've redone my profile; ending up with a minor novel, before realising I was limited to 500 words (for good reasons no doubt); so that ode has gone into the extended bio, with a brief intro above. As to a photo, that may be a days work! Not the easiest of tasks; but thanks again for the help.

Best 

Posted : January 15, 2021 4:15 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Reputable Member

@dodgem

Excellent, well done. Quite a comprehensive and very interesting profile. Looking forward to your poetry. As for the photo, just a suggestion: if you go into 'submit' on the top left side there is a box that says 'add media'. You should be able to download photographs from your own computer's files. I believe that after that you can choose one for your profile, but I'm not entirely sure. I am afraid that a lot of instructions got lost after this site was reborn from the ashes of another called "wabd" (Write and be damned).
Hopefully, they will be restored soon.

Best,  Luigi

P.S. By the way in your bio. you mentioned 'the cat sat on the mat'. Coincidentally that's the title of one of my pieces that you may like to read https://ukauthors.com/2020/10/23/the-cat-sat-on-the-mat/

Cheers.

Posted : January 15, 2021 6:41 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Reputable Member

@dodgem 
just seen that you managed to successfully post a photo on your profile. Congratulations. May we soon see some of your writing?

Cheers. 🙂

Posted : January 18, 2021 1:34 pm
Dodgem
(@dodgem)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

@ionicusThanks again Luigi

I'm afraid the muse has already struck in your farewell - not vey good as It was 'the poem what I wrote' just now - and so, it looks as though the forum may be loosing you? Can you still remain though - from where you are relocating too? I have some finished poems and look forward to inflicting them on the forum. 

Posted : January 18, 2021 2:19 pm
Dodgem
(@dodgem)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Meant to add

All the very best 🙂  

Posted : January 18, 2021 2:20 pm
Dodgem
(@dodgem)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Just read the cat poem - excellent 😎  

Posted : January 18, 2021 2:23 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Reputable Member

@dodgem

Thanks. 👍 

Posted : January 18, 2021 2:53 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member

Warmest welcome Dodgem. Sorry I am a bit late to the party. 😏 Your bio is great. I love reading about our members but some stay shy in the shadows. 😉 

I look forward to reading your poetry too. Just get stuck in and good luck. 

Alison x

Posted : January 25, 2021 10:13 am
Dodgem
(@dodgem)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

@stormwolf

Thank you Alison, I'm gradually getting settled in, and enjoying reading members works; it is a source of great encouragement. I'm hoping to submit weekly - I have quite a backlog! Some of it might be okay - if not, constructive criticism is welcome.

Best,

Dougie. 😊 

Posted : January 25, 2021 2:02 pm
Share: