Clear all

Word Help

5 Posts
5 Users
2 Likes
pennywise
(@pennywise)
Topic starter

I haven’t typed anything for many, many years.

Going back many moons ago when I used to be active on here I always used Word to tap my wee stories on. 

Hubby has sorted me a new laptop to tinker on, darn thing is tiny, I just know I’m gonna be hitting two keys at a time with my thunder fingers! Anyway, we went looking to install Word and the version I used doesn’t work anymore. 

My problem is there are that many different versions out there I have no idea which one I need! The tech guy at one place said I needed one for over a hundred quid, haha! Yeah right! Whereas another suggested one for forty but then whispered I should go online and just buy the key cheap for a tenner.  

So, I’m stuck in corner, but then I thought stuff it why don’t I just ask a bunch of writers, after all they are doing what I am planning on returning to do again.

So, can anyone help me please with any type of advice on how to obtain Word as cheaply as possible. Thanks C. 

Posted : June 30, 2018 9:14 am
stevef
(@stevef)
Reputable Member

Office Libre. Microsoft Word compatible and won't cost you a penny as it's open source.

Here:  https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

Posted : June 30, 2018 4:50 pm
jay12 reacted
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

Google Docs. Is compatible with .docx (Word). And it's in the cloud so if your PC/Hard Drive breaks you never lose your work. I've used Google Docs for years now, ever since I had umpteen occurrences of my hard drive corrupting and losing many 'best-sellers'!

Posted : July 1, 2018 1:16 pm
jay12 reacted
jay12
(@jay12)
Eminent Member

I use Linux Mint to keep an old knackered laptop going and I use Libre office as offered above. It is very good. It has options such as embedding fonts before creating PDFs etc which can be very useful especially when self publishing on sites such as Lulu.com. And its free. 

Posted : July 1, 2018 6:25 pm
shywolf
(@shywolf)
Estimable Member

One of my fav Word alternatives is:  https://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/en/

It's only £26 and is fully compatible with Word.  You get to try it out for a full 30 days before having to register.  I purchased it quite a few years ago and it's been an invaluable tool whenever I needed a Word alternative.  I think you'll find it easy to install and use.   

Posted : July 8, 2018 3:01 am
Share: