Who's this? (early ...

Notifications
Clear all

Who's this? (early days).

Page 18 / 24
amman
(@amman)
Noble Member

Tried your method, Luigi.  Flipped and tilted it , but made no difference.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2021 7:29 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Honorable Member

@amman

Tony can I suggest that you send me the link to your chosen photo at gigipagano@talktalk.net and I can post it on your behalf after camouflage. You can then put the relevant clues. Obviously I would not be a participant this time. It's just to see why it doesn't work for you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2021 9:16 am
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @ionicus

Clue#1 = His name, like his writing, is fictitious.
Clue#2 = Sounds English but he's American
Clue#3 = Died young.

I don't know why this one proved so difficult for others. I just followed Luigi's excellent clues and he soon popped up for me. it's John Griffith Chaney aka  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_London.  

I'm very confused by all this recent concern over "hiding" the id that you can discover very easily by using google. After all, Richard brought THAT up from the get-go and we had a conversation about it before.  if you don't want to participate because you think everyone is going to "cheat" then don't participate.  I'm not going to be able to follow these convoluted suggestions. I'm technically challenged to say the least, and my system is so old it doesn't cooperate very often anyway for Microsoft is cutting me off from being able to do much of anything on a daily basis. To survive ,all other user software packages are having to adjust accordingly so cut me off too. 

But where is Steve in all this? He started this game, didn't he? Hope he is okay and will advise as to what we should do.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2021 5:11 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Honorable Member

@belcanto

I agree and I expressed similar views earlier but it looks as if some people are afraid of being thought 'cheats' and I believe Guaj came up with the idea of altering the picture with Photoshop.
As for Steve, this is what he said on July the 17th: I'll be taking a break for a few days, guys, as I've got a short story collection to edit.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2021 7:36 pm
amman
(@amman)
Noble Member

Thanks, but no thanks, Luigi.  I’ll comeback to the game if I ever, personally,  manage to sort out the image thingee.  Cheers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 14, 2021 5:42 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Honorable Member

@amman

OK, Tony. This game does not seem to be as popular as the Music Quiz. There is the option of doing away with the photo and just have clues or continuing with a 'normal' picture and rely on no one cheating or abandoning it altogether. What is the general opinion? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 14, 2021 10:02 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Honorable Member

@belcanto

Oh,  by the way, it's your turn.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 14, 2021 12:02 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @ionicus

@amman

OK, Tony. This game does not seem to be as popular as the Music Quiz. There is the option of doing away with the photo and just have clues or continuing with a 'normal' picture and rely on no one cheating or abandoning it altogether. What is the general opinion? 

Hi Luigi. Wanted to say that I've been emotionally "out of it" and dealing with real world stuff for about two weeks. Only found my way back to take a look at the last pic and clues three or four days ago. I wasn't staying away because I'd lost interest in participating. As to your thoughts above, I think that a pic gives us very important clues too. The clothes, hairstyle and type of image. A time line or era to focus on.  A starting point. The fact of a throwback to a much younger face adds considerable interest and drama to the challenge: Steve knew what he was doing when he set this up! And I wouldn't say the Music Quiz is any more popular right now. Seems to me there's a general malaise setting in on site because we seem to be sailing into still waters. Again. Without that wind beneath our wings we're not going anywhere, are we? 

Because the pic is the heart of this game, I'm going to try following your directions on posting a pic without the give-away id. I'll away to practice. Shelagh aka bel 🙂  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 14, 2021 3:02 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Honorable Member

@belcanto

Yes, Shelagh, I have noticed that the site is just plodding along. It seemed that innovations and improvements were being made with the introduction of Writer of the Month and the Flash fiction challenge but it was a flash in the pan. Since June things have reverted to the previous state. Comments have dried up, apart from a few over-long IMHO; the pickers - whoever they are - disappeared as has the administrator; the front page could do with being refreshed and old correspondence needs deleting; the 'trending' is a joke with pieces that have no comments sometimes topping the list. Need I say more?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 14, 2021 4:45 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

IMHO any comment that is below three pages paragraphs is a short comment.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 14, 2021 5:07 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Honorable Member

@ifyouplease

Yes, I have noticed that dear Nic. But don't worry all that knowledge is wasted on me.

Luigi x

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 14, 2021 5:45 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Eminent Member
precocious

Oh dear! Don't think I did anything right!  Have no idea why this wouldn't straighten properly for me or shrank to teenie-weenie size. Hope you can't google an id, at least.  But here goes:

Clue #1 The sky's the limit for this precocious child.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 14, 2021 6:58 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

... I know... that's why in your case I try to be as succint as possible

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 14, 2021 6:58 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Honorable Member

@belcanto

I googled to find out whether it reveals who it is, it DOES I'm afraid.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 14, 2021 7:23 pm
amman
(@amman)
Noble Member

Hi Bel.  I got this one straight off the bat (without peeking) 'cos I have an interest in Astronomy (own a Celestron computerized 4 inch telescope).  I follow this very smart, articulate guy on u tube....none other than Neil deGrasse.  I believe you can see the adult in his younger self.  As I said before, a very clever fella. 😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 15, 2021 9:26 am
Page 18 / 24
Share: