Should the BBC have...

Should the BBC have their Public Services Licence revoked?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Gothicman
(@gothicman)
Estimable Member

Should the BBC have their Public Service Licence revoked? The BBC are now prop-full of fifth columnists, and are doing their best to sabotage all chance of Brexit and a post-Brexit Britain being successful.

They are no longer the politically-neutral National news agency, that without distracting advertising, are financed by the British public to represent objective truth. They have simply become the enemy of the people.

The dialectics involved in Last night’s Newsnight was a total disaster to objective journalism. The atrociously rude woman fronting the programme, who wasn’t named, kept asking questions to the Conservative MP Andrew Mitchell, and either never let him have the chance to complete his answers, where her questions were answerable, or tried again and again to goad him into accepting the point of view, irrespective of what he had replied, she was aggressively trying to force on him.

The end result was just a session of nasty, forced argumentation, supplying nothing of factual interest to the viewer, with the BBC making complete and utter fools of themselves again, unless, of course, they’re in the business of destroying Britain’s chance of becoming a successful, independent Nation again.

I say, the decrepit BBC should have their Public Service Licence revoked.

What say you?

This topic was modified 7 months ago by Gothicman
Posted : June 26, 2019 9:16 am
pronto liked
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

no

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 26, 2019 11:27 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

I never watch TV. Still trying to undo the brain damage TV causes. 

TV is the same everywhere, They Live style.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 26, 2019 11:33 am
guajiros
(@guajiros)
Prominent Member
Should the BBC have their Public Service Licence revoked
What? you'd rather have Fox and CNN? ? 
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 26, 2019 2:11 pm
Gothicman
(@gothicman)
Estimable Member

Thanks for your contributions.

After some thought, the BBC, enjoying a privileged position in the media world by receiving its revenue directly from the viewing public by way of a licence for viewing fee, and being an enormous long-established industry in terms of personnel and property, it would be difficult to apply contract- competition in order to force them to comply to the rules of their agreement i.e. to remain politically neutral, and to serve the ambitions and interest of the Great Britain & Northern Ireland. Perhaps just the news and current news topics should be separated from the rest and be under a stricter scrutiny by an independent board, which the public could complain to too? Fines and sackings could be the sanctions used? Difficult to achieve I know, but some form of punitive sanctions must be able to be applied to keep the BBC in line and honouring their contract. Needs more thought.

This post was modified 7 months ago by Gothicman
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 26, 2019 8:53 pm
guajiros
(@guajiros)
Prominent Member

I understand your frustration, but it seems to me the BBC is already under sanctions by the the very people who own it. Budget cuts after budget cuts has given the viewing public a BBC which is shadow of its former self. It has lost or been forced to give up prestige contracts to Independent TV and Sky because it can no longer support the infrastructure required. The amount of new art and documentary programmes have severely diminished 

A great percentage of the programmes are contracted out or bought in taking away the unique excellence typical of BBC works. Programmes are repeated ad nauseam and the genre has been narrowed down to soaps, cooking, game shows, antiques, more cooking and hours of sport. Basically it seems, things that are less costly to produce.

I don't mean to disagree with you, but I think there is more to the BBC's problems than a perceived political bias.

It's very sad

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 26, 2019 9:27 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

I always thought that BBC was not exactly focused on serving the ambitions and interests of the UK, but to represent gracefully the British nation worldwide and make Television one of your national attractions. a modern treasure. one that entertains educates and keeps the language with its best pronunciation in top form.

am I so wrong?

This post was modified 7 months ago by ifyouplease

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 27, 2019 1:31 am
Gothicman
(@gothicman)
Estimable Member

Yes, the BBC has had cuts in its budget, but it has lost millions also, in having to cough up indemnity insurance payments, because of being sued for various reasons, and the Corporation Board members pay themselves and some of their regular fronting staff unjustifiable, exorbitantly high salaries. They still produce some of the best drama, documentaries, entertainment, and Nature programmes to be found anywhere, and which are readily bought by most modern countries in the world.

But the level, and wide range, of good and new production has diminished in recent years, and, dare I say it, with less and less of traditional, indigenous Brits in control of all departments, the old British cultural tastes, humour, and historical preferences have been drastically diluted, and replaced by inadequately-trained representatives from minority groups, eroding the centuries old British identity more and more. This is clearly seen in humour, and other entertainment programmes relying on British humour as its main attraction. A good example is replacing Clarkson & Co with macho-Americans, anti-hero DJs, and the latest wet, wannabe funnies! On the plus side, Have I got News For You, and Mock The Week, are examples of British as British as it gets?

Who the Director-General of the BBC is, is probably important as far as style and content is concerned, especially political stance-taking? Since the days of Lew Grade, we’ve had a line of incompetent rubbish.

But, I think the slow downfall of the BBC as the Nations media face, outwards and inwards, is probably another factor of the “weakness of Democracy” as an ideology. Instead of keeping the British identity continuing and in tact, the BBC has bowed down to political correctness, and tried to be all encompassing, all inclusive, to all the various foreign factions, and in doing so, has lost the plot, lost its central role of reflecting and promoting that which is specifically best of British, and any indigenous Brit knows what that means.

There are occasional gems that reflect the brilliance that can still be achieved, and you have to keep a sharp eye out for them, but they’re getting fewer and far between. RIP BBC as we knew it!

The BBC has gone from being Dear Old Aunty Bebe to a rapping, hyping whore!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 27, 2019 5:59 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

sometimes you become a saint or a wise person, only if you first become a male or female whore.

maybe it's just a phase. 

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 27, 2019 6:09 pm
guajiros
(@guajiros)
Prominent Member

Trevor, I agree with about 90% of what you are saying, but I wouldn't go as far as calling Auntie a hooker 🙂

Things change I guess, but the BBC is still my viewing lifeline. Streets ahead of CNN and Fox. 

Skål 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 27, 2019 8:35 pm
Gothicman
(@gothicman)
Estimable Member

Yes, you're right, Guajiros, we have been spoilt for years by the high standard, and being advertising-free as well, it is still streets ahead of competing TV channels and radio stations. It's just the lustre has become a tad tarnished trying to be too digitally cool!
Thanks for all contributions.
Cheers! Or should I say Skål!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 27, 2019 10:10 pm
andrea
(@andrea)
Prominent Member Admin

Haven't watched telly for years. And if I had to (which thankfully I don't), I most certainly would NOT watch the Beeb...

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2019 10:09 pm
Gothicman
(@gothicman)
Estimable Member

Yes, I can understand the tendency to find alternative Internet based information and entertainment, mainly because it's so easy with laptops and iPads and there are so many iPlayer versions of most TV stations, and of course streamer sites. I use the big TV screen to stream programmes like latest woman's football to, from the computer via a HDMI cable, as some programmes are better watched in large format. I use the BBC iPlayer a lot via VPN for politics, and preferred quality programme viewing. Incidentally there was a once a very active site for registering complaints of BBC bias re. Brexit here:

http://bbccomplaints.com

But as Brexit is going to happen now, it seems to have stopped its critical eye at September 2018. Also, if you want to just watch all the sessions of the House of Commons, the Lords, and Westminster Hall (debates, select committees etc.) without BBC interference, they are available on the Net here from anywhere in the world:

https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Commons

And the European Parliament here (plenaries):

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/plenary/en/home.html

Hoping the populist, stressfully noisy BBC will pull its socks up one day?

Funny how you get used to a small screen laptop as a limitless window out into the world!

This post was modified 6 months ago by Gothicman
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2019 5:42 am
andrea
(@andrea)
Prominent Member Admin

@guajiros

They are not the only alternatives 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2019 9:47 pm
guajiros
(@guajiros)
Prominent Member

@andrea

That depends on whether you mean scheduled programming or international news coverage --- and of course where one lives.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2019 10:14 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: