Forum

Should I bother to....
 
Notifications
Clear all

Should I bother to...

28 Posts
5 Users
5 Likes
1,785 Views
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

vote this time? is there any point?

should I stop abstaining since '11

I feel squeamish because of having to go and vote for the least imbecile politician 

 
Posted : June 5, 2019 12:37 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

if only I could find one name that's not a slow creeping catastrophe but a very slow one!

 
Posted : June 5, 2019 12:40 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

why do you always want to say something that makes the other person feel redundant in some way especially when the question/discussion is about politics? I have the same right as you to ask questions about your politics and you have the same right as me to ask about our politics. Countries affect each other in more ways than we imagine. What happens here or there will affect both of us.

 

 
Posted : June 5, 2019 12:59 pm
jay12 reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

this New Democracy politician will be begging for more flaggelation from Germany, he is a Siemens scandal related guy. 

Tsipras has chosen the middle path but is arrogant.

the others don't have enough mojo to win, Varoufakis has a name in Greece, we call him Baroufas which means "fiddlestics", golden dawn is getting too powerful but it's the wrong nationalism and controlled opposition.

things in Greece won't be smooth if New Democracy wins this time, he is no Samaras who also chose the middle path.

 

 
Posted : June 5, 2019 1:06 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

In my opinion if Mitsotakis wins Germany will be more arrogant in the future. I detest voting for Tsipras, but if he doesn't  get votes from those abstaining he won't become powerful enough in the parliament. I certainly prefer the anti memorandum once upon a time fond of Grexit politician (who changed his mind and quite rightfully regarding Grexit since the chance was lost in '10) from the one who is 100 percent Germany related.

 
Posted : June 5, 2019 1:12 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

If a voter abstains from elections for particular reasons that have to do with questioning the State's capacity to bring either more democracy or direct democracy and if and only if the situation is not critical for the country he /she should continue to abstain from elections. 

 

 
Posted : June 5, 2019 2:12 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

maybe someone's reply will help me see something about critical situations, I am not sure, maybe there's time to make amends by abstaining, maybe it's not the time to do that.

 
Posted : June 5, 2019 2:14 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Posts: 404
Reputable Member
 

Be grateful that you have a vote. Use it to say what you want to see happen. There are countries where people are denied that right.
You seem too preoccupied with politics. Chill out  and use your writing talent on poetry and prose instead  

 
Posted : June 5, 2019 3:05 pm
Guaj reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

I don't believe in elections. Not anymore.  Voting the way we do wherever there is some type of democracy is like frozen pizza! We need to exercise our real rights and do our real duties with direct democracy or creative anarchy. Fresh food! Thankful to whom Luigi? My luck? :OB-)

 
Posted : June 5, 2019 11:44 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Posts: 404
Reputable Member
 

Well, you asked for advice but it looks as if you have already made your decision. No point in prolonging this topic.

 
Posted : June 6, 2019 8:02 am
jay12 reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

I have made my decision, I will vote this time, my husband lost his job, Mitsotakis is a hardcore capitalist, will say yes to everything the Germans ask, he was involved in the Siemens scandal, I think that I must vote either Kinal formerly known as Pasok or Syriza/Tsipras, but Kinal said they would cooperate with Mitsotakis so I changed my mind, I rhetorically asked "is there point", to start a discussion because people may want discussions topics activity. 

 

Prolong topics Luigi, bump threads make new topics, it's uka's forum inactivity my main aim.

 

 
Posted : June 6, 2019 10:29 am
Guaj
 Guaj
(@guaj)
Posts: 916
Prominent Member
 

I get what you are aiming at. If you can get more members interested, not only in forum, but additionally taking an interest in other's writing and actually making comments to praise or offer help I applaud you. 

After reading about your quandary, I looked up the political parties of Greece, and there are a hell of a lot of them, but as with pretty much all democracies it the same old-same old mix of left, centre left, centre right and right plus unfortunately these days extreme right.

I understand why you might feel Tsipras is suspect after veering right, but what else could he do? Kiss Merkel's ass? Leave that to the ND I guess.

Tsipras's old pal Yanis would have brought him down years ago if he'd stayed with him, even I can see that.

I like Yanis he's a real smart guy, but people aren't ready for him, but important people listen to him and that's good. Yanis was so popular with the ladies in Europe around 2008/9 certainly all the ladies I knew thought he was  hot-hot-hot (including my wife!). Back then you had two rock-stars running the country, but Tsipras realised he had to get his feet on the ground. I guess somebody had to. Personally I think he did OK, but now he's under pressure.

I suppose if I was Greek or a resident allowed to vote, he'd get mine. 

 
Posted : June 6, 2019 2:44 pm
Guaj
 Guaj
(@guaj)
Posts: 916
Prominent Member
 

So European barbarians are OK? Ask the residents of Magaluf if they think they're OK.

I'm not on the left-wing, and I am just as concerned about the effect of the influx of immigrants into Europe as you are. However, I don't think voting for extreme right -or left as they are also anti-foreigners - is the right way to go. It sets a very dangerous precedent. The main parties across Europe have been too lax and under pressure from the UN to help in war zones and stuff. Somehow the main parties must show they are doing something, perhaps bi-party efforts, before thing get out of hand. The trouble is of course the voters want something done like yesterday.

 

 
Posted : June 7, 2019 7:56 am
Guaj
 Guaj
(@guaj)
Posts: 916
Prominent Member
 

I'm fully aware of your views, you make your choice I make mine. If your people take over, you are young enough to have to live through it, good luck. 

You forgot Tom Van Grieken 

I don't live in France and can't vote anywhere at the moment. (no I'm not in Jail)

 

 
Posted : June 7, 2019 11:16 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

I agree with Guajiros, the only middle path that is strong enough right now is Tsipras, nothing buys time better than the middle path in all cases. I can become as extreme as Archie or I could become an extreme supporter of one of the parties that are socialist. In fact I was always a socialist loving Pasok to distraction, as a teenager and then in my early twenties I got the feeling this is not the full picture. 

Archie I was always too communist for communists too nationalist for nationalists. I have been talking about all the things that now you see happening since the '90s, nationalists should have fought more back then, people didn't understand the urgency of the matter. 'We' lost our chance here and everywhere, look at Lepen's country look at others, there is  chaos within all representative democracies, a hardcore nationalist once told me "we, like the communists, wait for the fall, then we will seize power and there will never be elections again". Racism of the extreme nationalism is appalling that's what quickly drove me away from even 'mild' nationalism. Then I saw how the idea of nation is being used by the same rich scum that use everyone. And I woke up completely at 25. 

 

 
Posted : June 7, 2019 11:20 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: