Forum

Rick Gammon (Coolhe...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Rick Gammon (Coolhermit) - Sad News

12 Posts
9 Users
3 Likes
315 Views
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Posts: 404
Reputable Member
Topic starter
 

I am saddened, as I am sure will be many others here at UKA, by the passing of another fine poet who regularly shared his talent with all of us. My condolences to his family and friends, one of whom - Phil Kay (Mentalelf) wrote a lovely tribute. My thanks go to him.

 
Posted : January 13, 2021 3:15 pm
stormwolf reacted
Bhi
 Bhi
(@bhi)
Posts: 13
Active Member
 

Rick was certainly a man uncommon. Phil passed on the sad news to me; he was a friend and will be missed. We had planned to meet after this damned lockdown was lifted and share a malt and a few stories, and he had enough of those to last a few glasses and more. I shall still lift my glass to him and know that he has carried his work into the life that is beyond us. 

 

 

 
Posted : January 13, 2021 3:26 pm
stormwolf reacted
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Posts: 310
Reputable Member
 

What sad news. He was exceedingly talented and we are going to miss his input. Condolences to his family and friends. A beautiful tribute by Mentalelf. 

Where ever he is now, he's free. One of his poems spoke of his recent brush with illness and now he is gone. Incredibly sad. We sometimes take one another for granted, thinking they will always be around. Rick has reminded me to try to treasure those in the moment. We never know what the next day is going to bring. 

Just awful news.

 

 

 
Posted : January 13, 2021 4:16 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Posts: 404
Reputable Member
Topic starter
 

Phil.
I have sent you a private message.

Luigi

 
Posted : January 13, 2021 6:08 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
 

Sorry to hear such sad news, as Greeks say, May your journey be good!

Καλό σου ταξίδι ποιητή...

 

 
Posted : January 13, 2021 6:24 pm
stormwolf reacted
Guaj
 Guaj
(@guaj)
Posts: 916
Prominent Member
 

Rick I will miss you and your wonderful poems of life.

 I read all your poems I saw posted on here

In all that time I never read a bad one. 
Great works great guy

I thank you for sharing your wonderful skill with us.

 
Posted : January 13, 2021 7:39 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Posts: 56
Trusted Member
 

I've been taking time off the internet so I was shocked to see the message on facebook today. Rick was so talented. As well as all his poetry, he wrote two books. He loved his garden and was spending a lot of time there. A couple of years ago on my birthday, I was feeling a little down. Then a parcel arrived. Rick had sent me one of his books and I spent a lovely afternoon reading through it. It's hard to think of not hearing from him again. 

Rest in peace, Rick. 

 
Posted : January 13, 2021 10:07 pm
griffonner
(@griffonner)
Posts: 55
Trusted Member
 

I have been (am) privileged to have been an email pal with Rick.  In the beginning we pitched poetry ideas with one another, but over time discussed nearly every part of life... from his clearing buried carpets from his garden to a recent revelation he had about his relationship with his creator.  He was a really nice bloke... know what I mean?

We shared much of our daily lives with one another by way of photo's too. In July he came up with the idea of doing a free distribution of some left-over books from his self publication. He acquired a hand cart with which to go around the more 'affluent looking' houses and drop specimens through their letterboxes.  I'm sure he will smile down from his now exhaulted place at this photo - proudly showing me his hand cart:

What a great friend. What a great poet. What a great man. What a great loss.

I won't use the usual axium 'rest in peace' because I know Rick will be too enthusiastic to explore his new reality than sit around on a white cloud.  I will however say, "Au Revoir, Rick. I miss you mate. See you!"

 

 

 
Posted : January 18, 2021 11:27 pm
supratik
(@supratik)
Posts: 18
Eminent Member
 

@griffonner

I read this many times. What a splendid way to talk about the man who is certainly not sitting idle on a white cloud but exploring newer ways to look around in wonder. 

You have voiced many of us with your reflections on Rick. I didn't have the luck to have him as an email pal, but we had interacted over our writings many a times and I'd always cherish that. 

Like you, I wouldn't say rest in peace either. 

I'd say, Rick, keep writing wherever you are because you rock. 

 
Posted : January 19, 2021 4:31 am
griffonner
(@griffonner)
Posts: 55
Trusted Member
 

@supratik

Well, he was certainly well respected generally, wasn't he.  His last words to me, a few days before his passing, were "I'll keep in touch."  I am certain from those last five or so emails he knew what was coming, so I would add that he was also a brave man.

Allen

 
Posted : January 19, 2021 12:30 pm
supratik
(@supratik)
Posts: 18
Eminent Member
 

@griffonner

Most certainly so. It's a great loss for the UKA community.

 
Posted : January 19, 2021 1:56 pm
sweetwater
(@sweetwater)
Posts: 27
Eminent Member
 

Such a shock to read about the loss of Rick, I chatted back and forth with him as so many have done. Such a lovely

person and a truly wonderful poet, his poems always unique but very relatable too. I shall miss him very much.

Thank you Rick for every word. Sue ( sweetwater ) xxxx

 
Posted : January 27, 2021 10:40 pm
Share: