Clear all

Publishing  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS
shipbuilder
(@shipbuilder)
Eminent Member

@munster

I find ISBNs are a waste of money.    As soon as they go through the system, loads of booksellers around the world, including Amazon, start advertsing them, even though they don't have any in stock, and have no intention of getting any.  I normally get paid by Paypal, that is automatic.   Only occasionally do I get a cheque.  I pack the books in a folded piece of thick cardboard that I get from old cardborad boxes that other items are delivered in.   I add the postage costs to the cost of the book.    I live close to Post Office, so no problem there.    Occasionally, a book does get lost, but not very often, but it is still a nuisance, as I have to send another free!     I start with 46 copies in the first print run.   I can then order more for considerably less than the initial print run.   Minimum repeat order is ten copies.   They take 7 to 10 days to deliver.

I don't really understand 70 % less costs and a 35% percent in regard to KDP. I prefer a printed book myself, but my biggest income is from the downloads, that often pay for the printed ones!     But as long as this lockdown continues, it will be e-books only.   Not really a problem, as they bring in the biggest return with the least effort.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2020 2:49 pm
Mandrake
(@mandrake)

LULU is OK if you only want to create books for yourself. They grab a similar amount of your profit as Amazon, plus their postal rates are extortionate. Though they do offer regular discounts.

Not sure where you're getting those figures for KDP, unless you're talking about Kindle versions. The lower rate, I think, is if your title has a wider distribution.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2020 2:54 pm
munster
(@munster)

@mandrake Okay again I will have to take a look, I am waiting on a reply about ISBN which I believe is needed if I use platforms other than KDP 

I am based in Portugal and have approached the body in charge of ISBN. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2020 3:05 pm
munster
(@munster)

@shipbuilder Do payhip market? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2020 3:11 pm
shipbuilder
(@shipbuilder)
Eminent Member

@munster

ISBNs are not compulsory anywhere.    If Amazon is stocking your book, no doubt an ISBN would be an advantage.  If you put anything in Payhip, Google link to it very quickly.   But all the details are available on their site via the link I gave above.   But as it costs nothing to join, it is a "no lose" situation.     I was pleasantly surprised.   I joined several years ago,  and my sales are now in the region of £3,800.    The beauty of it (for me) is that once the e-books are on, there is nothing to do.   When one is purchased, I just get an e-mail from Payhip advising me, and the money (less their 5%) is already in my Paypal account.  I advertise mine via Facebook and my blog.   Last months total was almost £200, but that was unusual.   Also got another £178 from ALCS (Author's Licensing & Collecting Society) that is also free to join.    They collect money from libraries on behalf of the author, deduct their fees, and pay it to author's bank account.    They pay out twice a year. 

I am surprised that more authors on here do not use Payhip or the ALCS, I have suggested it a number of times, but am only aware of one other member that has taken advantage of the advice.    I am not a professional writer, I am long-retired, being aged 76, and writing it just a hobby.     Nothing has come in today from Payhip, but yesterday, had four sales, totalling £10.46! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2020 4:09 pm
munster
(@munster)

@shipbuilder That sounds positive, I am dyslexic and a semi-retired English tutor. I have a large platform due to my work and presentations around the world. I guess there is the possibility of the books being translated on these platforms. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2020 4:18 pm
shipbuilder
(@shipbuilder)
Eminent Member

As long as the files are in PDF, they can be uploaded easily to Payhip.    I just export them as PDF from the Open Office word processing.   The ALCS does not sell e-books, it only collects from libraries, and is only applicable to the UK.   But as far as I know, Payhip will function internationally.  

This post was modified 6 months ago by shipbuilder
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2020 4:39 pm
munster
(@munster)

@shipbuilder Ok many thanks for all the help

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2020 4:52 pm
FlorinCarare
(@florincarare)
Posted by: @munster

Has anyone used any of the platforms such as Amazon to publish and how did they find them?

Amazon is very practical to publish, yet is not the only and best way to publish if you want to be everywhere you should make a contract with a self-publishing company that would be directly interested to promote your book and you as an author. You could contact Bloo Ink Publishing Limited from London to make you a price quotation for publishing and marketing your book and yourself as an author. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 30, 2020 5:14 pm
shipbuilder
(@shipbuilder)
Eminent Member

@florincarare

I had a quick look at Bloo Ink Publishing just out of curisoity, but did not feel inclined to submit anything, so have no idea how much it costs, but feel sure it will be pretty expensive.      I will stick to my old and tested method of having BookprintingUK print them for me should I decide to write another, but the e-books and articles continue to do very well, and this month, have again topped the £100 mark.   Not an earth-moving sum, but I am more than pleased with it.         

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 30, 2020 6:58 pm
shipbuilder
(@shipbuilder)
Eminent Member

Did some more Googling on Bloo Ink Publishing.   Cheapest standard package £960! 🙁     That knocks it on the head for me straight away! 😮 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 30, 2020 7:12 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: