Publishing

Notifications
Clear all

Publishing  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
munster
(@munster)

Has anyone used any of the platforms such as Amazon to publish and how did they find them?

Posted : April 8, 2020 5:38 pm
Mandrake
(@mandrake)

I have used Amazon KDP to publish 10 paperback books so far and the experience has been painless, so long as you put the work in preparing the manuscript and cover files to the correct spec.

If there's anything specific you want to know, I'm happy to discuss.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 9, 2020 3:47 pm
munster
(@munster)

@mandrake Thanks for your reply, my editor sent the file in word, will that be OK or would a PDF be better. Also a question regarding ISBN, do you have to have a country specific ISBN or will KDP's  be OK?

many thanks 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 9, 2020 7:03 pm
Mandrake
(@mandrake)

@munster

Personally, I prefer to use a pdf as then you have complete control of pages and how they are formatted. Probably because I publish poetry, which relies on a consistent format. For plain text, it doesn't matter so much.

The 'free' ISBN that KDP allocates is valid on Amazon sites in the USA, Canada, UK, Eurozone and Japan. They take 40% of profits in those regions and 60% from copies purchased by other retailers. However, you can buy up to 999 copies at a time at cost price and sell them yourself.

For example, if you publish a 200 page trade paperback and price it at £10:

Printing cost is 1p per page + 70p = £2.70

£10 cover price - £2.70 printing cost = £7.30 profit

40% of £7.30 = £2.92

£7.30 profit - £2.92 commission = £4.38 net profit

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 10, 2020 2:53 pm
shipbuilder
(@shipbuilder)
Eminent Member

Afraid I would never consider Amazon, as they want too much of the proceeds.     For e-book, I use https://payhip.com/   They are free to join and fully automatic.   After a dowload is sold, they deduct 5% for their fee and immediately deposit the remainder in my Paypal account.    I enjoy good sales via Payhip, and the proceeds go a long way towards having books printed.     When I have them printed, I use https://www.bookprintinguk.com/   Reasonable prices, and superb quality.    Very fast.   7 to 10 days after downloading the PDF files to them and paying, the books arrive.    I have to market them myself, of course, but use Ebay, Facebook of my blog.    All my printed books are currently sold out after numerous reprints, but the e-book versions contine to sell steadily.  

This post was modified 6 months ago 2 times by shipbuilder
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2020 7:37 am
shipbuilder
(@shipbuilder)
Eminent Member

My latest books - Sold out very quickly -  

This post was modified 6 months ago 2 times by shipbuilder
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2020 7:40 am
munster
(@munster)

Thanks for all the information, KDP seem to pay 75% of the sale price if you keep the book price below 9.99. I wouldn't have a clue as to how to price a book but I guess a return of 7 euro per book is ok?

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2020 12:07 pm
shipbuilder
(@shipbuilder)
Eminent Member

@munster

7 Euro sounds excellent.     I assume the books are printed  sent out via Amazon and they add the postage to them?    I have purchased a few Amazon  Print on Demand books, but have not found the photographs very good.   Is your book illustrated, or just text?

In comparison with printed books, the e-books are less trouble, as it is all automatic.    If I sell an e-book for £4.99, I get £4.75, and because of the lower cost, they do sell at a steady rate.  

Bob

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2020 12:18 pm
munster
(@munster)

@shipbuilderwould you suggest a personal paypal or the business account?

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2020 12:19 pm
munster
(@munster)

@shipbuilderwould you suggest a personal paypal or the business account?

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2020 12:21 pm
munster
(@munster)

My book is text only poetry and prose. I am working on two novels that I would expect to sell for more than the amazon threshold of 9.99. I hope I have that correct. I have joined several facebook groups re self publishing and many favor KDP some mentioned LULU 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2020 12:24 pm
shipbuilder
(@shipbuilder)
Eminent Member

@munster

I started with a personal account, but that was limited to small sums, and at that time I was selling model ships on Ebay sometimes for 100s of £s, so it was necessary to update to a business account, but as far as I can see, the only difference is the limit increases with business accounts, it still didn't cost anything.    With text only, BookprintingUK would probably be a good option, but you can get an instant free quote on their website by just entering basic info such as book size, page count, paper quality etc, but they do a superb job.   With Payhip, I had 69 downloads in April, so even with low cost e-books and articles, it soon mounts up.    Printed books are a lot more work marketing them yourself, and don't fetch as much money in, but it is nice to have a printed copy.   If you want to test the Payhip download system, here is a link to my FREE one, that I use for advertisng the rest:   https://payhip.com/b/krO6   Scroll down a bit after it opens to read the synopsis.   There is a button labelled This Item is Free, to get the download.   

Bob

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2020 1:23 pm
munster
(@munster)

@shipbuilder Sounds good, I guess price point is critical? I have a few platforms to sell on and a large following on Social Media. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2020 2:12 pm
Mandrake
(@mandrake)

Although Amazon take a generous chunk, you also have to take account of the extra costs of DIY:

* Paying for your own ISBN
* Processing your own payments
* Postage and packaging
* Time spent at the Post Office
* Dealing with items lost/damaged in transit
* Upfront cost of buying/maintaining stock

My experience is that people still prefer a physical book to an ebook. That's probably another quirk of poetry.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2020 2:27 pm
munster
(@munster)

@mandrake Hi i am having the book in dual format. It's hard to understand KDP as they offer 70 % less costs and a 35% percent. I will have to take a long look.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2020 2:30 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: