(not my business post.)

This post was modified 3 months ago by ifyouplease

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 3, 2019 1:14 pm
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)
Eminent Member

You could try another news letter  that's what got me back -- how much of a recommendation that is is up to you -- but I think you have to accept the fact that people have changed and that a lot of people just can't be arsed to comment or even be a part of a community, either that or they don't understand the concept, that in any community there is give and take.

I think it is a shame that the anthology has been scrapped thought I do understand that with out the folk to take care of it, it is no longer viable.

Maybe UKA has just arrived at the end of days and should have a DNR next to its name. That would be sad but maybe it might give folk the kick in the pants they need to take an interest again. After all, it is said or it was said by Joanie Michell I think, you don't know what ya got till its gone. 

If you decide that you want to give it another go I'll still be around but what ever you decide, best of luck. It really has been a great place to hang out.

Do no harm. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 3, 2019 1:41 pm
ukadmin liked
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Noble Member

what's a DNR?

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 3, 2019 5:44 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Noble Member

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by ifyouplease

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 3, 2019 5:48 pm
sweetwater
(@sweetwater)

I agree, I have looked at many poetry websites and none of them were as good as the old UKA, I loved the colour and the listing of poets and their work so simple to work with.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 3, 2019 11:21 pm
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)
Eminent Member

DNR means Do Not Resuscitate. 

But the more I think about it, the more I think we should try. I know it is hard to try and find something constructive to say about everything and I'm not sure I really want us to do that but I know I could do more and I will. 

I'm not sure the look of the site is that important to me. I'm much more concerned for the content. We're writers after all, that's what we do.

So here's my pledge; I will try to submit one thing a week (even if I have to drag stuff out of the archive) and I will try to comment on two pieces a week. Of course there might be so much great stuff here that I comment on more than that. 

And I also promise not to bang on about the lack of comments I receive -- or don't receive -- if you see what I mean.

Do no harm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 3, 2019 11:52 pm
ukadmin liked
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

I will put out a newsletter soon in an effort to coax folk back! 

UKA webmaster

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 4, 2019 1:16 am
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)
Eminent Member

If there are new members would it not be a useful exercise to find out what they want/expect from the site?

Just a thought.

Do no harm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 4, 2019 11:05 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member

It doesn't look as if it's going to be for a while as new registration have been closed for now. A set of guidelines by the administration would give some ideas about what one should aim for.
I have been following these exchanges and come to the conclusion that the distinction between poetry and prose writing is purely academic. After all the front page says: UKAuthors Writing Community and doesn't specifically exclude prose or poetry.
Also it is useless to keep asking why old members have left and are not coming back. The reasons are well known to the old guard: too much bickering among members, sometimes involving insults which sadly escalated to such an extent that the only option seemed to be to leave the site altogether. I am ashamed to say that I too got into the fray and retaliated in kind rather than keeping my mouth shut.
The atmosphere was soured by the attitude of some who thought they were on the site to teach everybody else how to write.
Complaints were made that to much poetry and not enough prose was published, as if the poets themselves had brought about the situation. Those who misbehaved were in the minority but the majority got fed up and went.
Make sure that civility and politeness are the ethics of UKAuthors and maybe the site will recover.
Finally it won't do to call the names of former members as some may have sadly died - I know of one who has been mentioned more than once - or are in ill health. It would be good to have news from Andrea if she knows the whereabout of absent friends. I have noticed that Sunken's websites have all gone. It would be nice to know if he is still around. I miss his genius.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 4, 2019 3:33 pm
Alfie_Shoyger
(@alfie_shoyger)
Eminent Member

"The atmosphere was soured by the attitude of some who thought they were on the site to teach everybody else how to write."

No, I would say that the atmosphere was much more bored to death by the attitude of some who don't realise that the whole point of creative writing websites is for everybody to teach everybody how to write. That is, in fact, how one improves as a writer - by interacting with other writers.

There were many talented writers on this site about 12 to 15 years ago, and I knew some of them personally from university. When I asked them why they had left UKA, their answer was "It just doesn't do it for me anymore."

What did they mean by that? Well, they meant that there was no longer any analysis, constructive criticism or intelligent opinion being expressed, just people saying "this is really great" and not saying anything insightful or helpful. Basically, that the whole thing had just got pointless and incredibly boring.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 5, 2019 11:04 am
ukadmin liked
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Noble Member

I agree with Ionicus/Luigi, 

Complaints were made that to much poetry and not enough prose was published, as if the poets themselves had brought about the situation. 

prose writers always pooped in the hallway.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 5, 2019 3:53 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member

You say "poh-tay-toe" and I say "poh-tah-toe". And there lies the problem.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 5, 2019 8:23 pm
Gothicman
(@gothicman)
Eminent Member

I think repeated analysis of what caused site decline is futile. As Luigi says many have left us, some are restricted by health issues, others have become twitter and smart-phone robots as it suits the effort level of their short-range brains! Brexit has got rid of some! If people have the inclination to write, and will say something to an unknown public, then they will make the effort and/or take the risk of opening up? Old members will drift back themselves, with or without encouragement, some will come back briefly, lament about old times lost, comment on the site’s impending demise, but not contribute anything to try to keep it going.

I think that’s why it’s important to have all kinds of writing on this creative writing site (I have a writing in each main category at the moment), to appreciate that people can express themselves, their life experiences, their aspiration, just their current thoughts, in many different ways. Here, creative writing comes under the group title of “skönliteratur”,  i.e. beautiful literature, which includes any type of writing as long as it’s carefully and diligently composed with special care taken to make it accurate and precise as possible i.e. relevant to its messaging, and as briefly written as it can be in order to achieve this. A large variety of genre and personal styles keeps the site fresh, interesting, and vital.

I think most of the members on this site are like me with regard to the reactions to what one reads each visit or on publication day? I read all contributions, some I admire the technical skill and literal competence of the writer, often way beyond my ability to replicate, but which, as personal expression, subject matter, or messaging, doesn’t move me to get involved in any way; some say something interesting and inspirational subject wise, but again, do not prompt me to offer any reaction, other than perhaps commenting I liked the piece; (glaring typos or grammatical errors tend to incite me to offer correcting suggestions as tactfully as possible); and some contributions move me to various depths, whether it be emotionally, with sadness, humorously, nostalgically, or intellectually i.e. make me think and cogitate over where my minds been led, what’s being awoken, even if just ends as entertainment, a passing feeling of enjoyment, a worthwhile read etc.. My commenting activity usually follows these reading effects, even if, sometimes I comment reciprocally, as a gesture of thanks.

With regard to what we will get from submitting work, I know a lot of people need to receive comments, need the ego-reinforcement of the proof of having been read and understood, and that others genuinely would like to receive helpful, competent advice on how to improve different aspects of their work, whether it be basic English, composition, presentation, etc., etc.; others like the content matter to be discussed and argued about, and are willing to discuss their thoughts and intentions further, like to entertain different interpretations; others never go beyond “thanks” or “ glad you liked it!” I think all reactions and levels of engagement are okay, but, those who like to receive, but never give anything back, tend to eventually get a restricted following, which if they are gifted, is very sad. and unsociable?  As a Brit living in a foreign-speaking country writing mainly to keep the rust of my mother tongue, I’m just happy to write and get work out there, and know it’s being read. Even so, comments are always appreciated, both by way of critique and appraisal, but also as just social, friendly interaction and banter. Although it is the bread ‘n butter function of a creative writing site, I detest people who think comments on work should only consist of expert advice, critique, and own-style and taste perpetuation, that other forms of social interaction are just mutual gratification and click-building?

In this age of snowflakes, ego-promotion, and self-appointed celebrities, there is a lack of character to promote own views, values, and argument in the face of fair opposition and competition. People who feel hurt or unjustly treated, their core-values, their obvious greatness not appreciated or proclaimed as such, these weak individuals will not bury the hatchet and move on. These “besserwisser” will bear a grudge till the day they……….

Is that the kettle boiling…..?

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2019 10:35 am
Alfie_Shoyger
(@alfie_shoyger)
Eminent Member

I blame Brexit. 

And the Jews.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2019 4:32 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Noble Member

Which Brexit? The one actually not taking place for the time being or the other Brexit? The one not happening due to actual negotiations?(sorry using a tablet and it types incomprehensible stuff deletes text on it's own replaces entire sentences WTH!)

I blame Lichtenstein .

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2019 6:36 pm
Page 3 / 4
Share: