Forum

Okay perhaps now wh...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Okay perhaps now what? part two

40 Posts
5 Users
3 Likes
1,830 Views
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

Is this a question addressed to me or to any member that may be reading this topic? 

I like ukauthors no other explanation needed .

 

 
Posted : February 18, 2019 2:19 pm
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)
Posts: 27
Eminent Member
 

Why do I still use this site? Er hmm. Because the people here get me. Or at least they used to. It was the first (And only) writer's site I've ever belonged to. I think it could be to do with loyalty, The idea of community, of sharing, finding out what other people are doing and a sort of daft hope that they -- the other people -- will be interested in what I'm doing.

Oh, vanity, vanity. All is vanity. Something like that. I know writing of any kind is traditionally a solitary pursuit but I lack the disposition for the attic existence.

Long live UKA, I say. G*d bless it and all who sail in it.

I'll contribute what and when I can.


Do no harm.

 
Posted : February 18, 2019 6:31 pm
ifyouplease reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

the site could be for poetry only or mainly focused on poetry and poets. one could submit articles or prose poetry prose poems poetic stories 

poets do submit prose more regularly than prose writers submit poems. the name 'rhymeandbedamned' is a nice name. sort of...

in any case I think that there has to be a community which is in British English that's also based in the UK for us writers and poets, British or not! 

 

 
Posted : February 19, 2019 4:44 pm
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)
Posts: 27
Eminent Member
 

I've just checked my stuff out and I think I'm about 50/50. But then, I consider myself a writer not a poet or a prose/story writer. I'm in to all kinds of writing. Short stories, novels, poetry, plays -- I've had seven plays produced and performed and folk actually paid to go and see them -- I've even written a couple of film scripts and some songs.

The reason I joined this site in the first place was because it took any kind of writing. You would pretty soon see me waving bye bye if it was just for one thing.

I don't read stuff  -- and I mean proper paper books -- of just one kind. In my library there all kinds of books; poetry collections, short story collections, novels , plays, film scripts, none fiction stuff. I wouldn't like to limit myself to only reading one sort of thing in the real world and I won't limit myself on line.

As far as I'm concerned, Ukauthors is a writers community and should welcome all writers and encompass everything and anything the membership wants to submit. It should do what it says on the can.


Do no harm.

This post was modified 5 years ago 2 times by chrissytotoro
 
Posted : February 19, 2019 5:22 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

yes but what if those who were writing prose mainly don't come back and what if one or two new writers appear that are not prolific at all? should we the poets that sometimes write prose too suffer the consequences of a site STILL focused on prose or both without new submissions or writing activity workshops challenges etc with one of its main 'ingredients' missing? can the site still do what it says on the tin?

because right now if the tin said poetry site it would be still quite active. 

 

 

 
Posted : February 19, 2019 9:06 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

IMO, another thing we should take into consideration is the fact that Poetry can attract everyone even the most constipated prose writer who haughtily found it less interesting to write poems.

 maybe in the loving arms of Poetry that will always accept any pen inclined to any genre, one day there will be hope for its resurrection because prose looks  quite dead right now.

 
Posted : February 19, 2019 9:26 pm
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)
Posts: 27
Eminent Member
 

I’m sorry but, I have to take issue with the idea that poetry is less interesting to write or read or even hear being read than prose.

I think it is the idea that dictates the medium of expression, not whether the means of expression of that idea is interesting to the writer or even the reader. Certain ideas demand certain means of expression. For instance The Hosts of the Air by William Butler Yeats – one of my favourite poems of all time -- demands poetic form just as Dracula by Bram Stoker would probably not work as an epic poem.
Poetry, prose, playwriting, song writing are just tools in a writer’s tool kit and you use the appropriate tool for the job.

My late husband was an artist and a good one, in my opinion. He would use any medium that his subject demanded. And it wasn’t because he thought working in water colour was more or less interesting than working in oils or making a collage. If what he was wanting to produce, demanded the light touch of water colour then that was what he used. But he could, with equal interest and enthusiasm produce a big bold or dark or more immediate oil painting. It entirely depended on the subject, the idea.

That’s how it is with me with writing. If the idea I’m trying to express comes to me in poetic form then that’s the way I try to execute it. But equally if it comes as a short story or a novel or play, then that’s the way I go with it. And if people don’t want to read it or comment on it, then what the hell difference does that make? Since I came back to the site I’m well used to my work not being commented on, that’s other folks choices. What I do find a little bit unusual is the idea that somehow the general lack of comments – informed or otherwise – is the fault of the writers of ‘prose’. That I do find a little bit daft. Folk don’t comment because they can’t be arsed to do so.

Finally, the idea of this site becoming only for poets, well good luck with that. Like I said, that would be an open door for me to leave. The one thing no one has a right to do with me or any other writer is to try and dictate what you write or how you write it.


Do no harm.

 
Posted : February 20, 2019 1:54 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

it was just an idea of mine and trying to tease prose writers so that they reappear even to defend their art and/or offend /attack my thesis, where are they?what are they doing? i don't get it.

not only for poets but be more focused on poetry,  it is after all poetry that helps this site even now. poets or writers who enjoy writing poems more often.

 

so? prose ok where is it? new exciting original short stories, WHERE ARE THEY?

 

 

 

 
Posted : February 20, 2019 2:08 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

tis inexplicable this massive disappearance of people.

were they all good christians who where raptured?

lol

 
Posted : March 3, 2019 12:54 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Posts: 208
Reputable Member Admin
 

If I sent out a regular newsletter it would bring a few folk back. But we need an active admin and community to keep things moving and that is what's lacking and why we have turned into a ghost site!

Not seen or heard off Andrea in a while and I'm not at all active here any more. we need some new blood.

 
Posted : March 3, 2019 1:45 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

(not my business post.)

 
Posted : March 3, 2019 2:14 pm
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)
Posts: 27
Eminent Member
 

You could try another news letter  that's what got me back -- how much of a recommendation that is is up to you -- but I think you have to accept the fact that people have changed and that a lot of people just can't be arsed to comment or even be a part of a community, either that or they don't understand the concept, that in any community there is give and take.

I think it is a shame that the anthology has been scrapped thought I do understand that with out the folk to take care of it, it is no longer viable.

Maybe UKA has just arrived at the end of days and should have a DNR next to its name. That would be sad but maybe it might give folk the kick in the pants they need to take an interest again. After all, it is said or it was said by Joanie Michell I think, you don't know what ya got till its gone. 

If you decide that you want to give it another go I'll still be around but what ever you decide, best of luck. It really has been a great place to hang out.


Do no harm. 

 
Posted : March 3, 2019 2:41 pm
ukadmin reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

what's a DNR?

 

 
Posted : March 3, 2019 6:44 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

.

 
Posted : March 3, 2019 6:48 pm
sweetwater
(@sweetwater)
Posts: 27
Eminent Member
 

I agree, I have looked at many poetry websites and none of them were as good as the old UKA, I loved the colour and the listing of poets and their work so simple to work with.

 
Posted : March 4, 2019 12:21 am
Page 2 / 3
Share: