Forum

Okay perhaps now wh...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Okay perhaps now what? part two

40 Posts
5 Users
3 Likes
1,837 Views
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

for years i've been saying this is not the real Putin. earlier than 15. not convinced that's the real Putin or that was the real Saddam or Osama. but yeah they killed Gaddafi. 

 
Posted : February 12, 2019 9:19 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

well there are few people that continue to write and post 

few comment

 

you know what guys and gals? try harder. comment. make forum topics and find two or three more nibbers. 

 

 

 
Posted : February 12, 2019 9:25 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

in a world of a billion English-speakers

exactly.

and yes the old Uka was simply the best.

the new site is quite good and still has lots of potential

 

it's not my language. I prefer being the odd Greek poet/writer type that posts and comments as carefully as possible.

i feel like this is not my job at all. trying to keep commenting keep writing and posting. i feel like a clown in an empty mcdonalds. sad.

i just tell you when a site disappears it's usually for good, and you won't like it at all. when a community is destroyed that's one of the worst things for creative writing. 

people don't care anymore. is something bigger afoot? who knows...

 
Posted : February 12, 2019 10:26 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

by the way you said 13 years of work have been deleted.

I don't think so, if a member had not deleted his/her work and if he/she had joined the new site he/she could easily have used the UKA archive and kept everything. it's not the site's fault at all, they had the best options to keep your work. and what do you mean not colourful like the old one? it is quite colourful and has all those precious social media buttons for facebook junkies. 

 
Posted : February 13, 2019 7:23 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

Uka is still very multicultural and there are writers from African nations I think and I am sure that at least three are from India, you have at least one Greek and I do not think it's too white or too British, there also Americans here, Luigi is Italian. 

The old site's script was too problematic, it was 'very old' too 

Richard tried successfully to combine the old site with a brand new platform which can be updated easily and I'm certain nothing would have gone wrong if he had proper help as nobody can monitor a site by dedicating his entire life 24/7. 

Sunken and others could join the new site and their files from the old site would be active. Again it's not Richard's or Andrea's fault. by the way i must check if there is a new Sunken account here with his old work

Nicky joined when I told her, she easily created the archives. Easy job !

and it's friendlier for smartphones, i have used a tablet to login and comment etc no problem whatsoever i doubt it would be that easy if we still had the old site.

the site is alive, you cannot resurrect something that hasn't died. start using it and you'll all see it works fine. 

 

 
Posted : February 13, 2019 11:35 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

facebook is whiter. 

but I agree white must go. something about ophthalmic thalamus ---> eye movements 

people don't seem to have a problem with pathetic whiteness on facebook though

sunken is not here, couldn't find him. sad. 

 
Posted : February 13, 2019 12:44 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

site was not active for me minutes ago couldn't reply to threads add comments use pms or shout.

I am using another site deviantart for the last couple of months. 

Just a place to post work nothing exciting for me, ukauthors was and even now is exciting for me to be a member. 

Hopefully it will survive. 

But generally it's not uka's fault or any other old site's. The internet has changed. And I don't like it anymore as anything but a researcher, not that i find as many stuff as I used to. 

Anyway... 

 
Posted : February 14, 2019 10:35 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Posts: 208
Reputable Member Admin
 

We plod on. I think UKA will most likely end up as a  simple writers' forum (this forum), which is the most active and visited part of the site now. You can do most stuff on this forum rather than submit writing that is not really getting much traffic.

No, it's not really anyone's fault. The internet has changed in UKA lifetime (almost 20 years). We are one of the oldest still active writers' communities in existence which is impressive. 

But a simple forum such as this will still enable people to connect and share their writing and writing related media.

We have the ORIGINAL UKArchive and at some point I might but the current body of UKA members writing into a read only archive and cease active submissions.

Adding your writing to UKA would then be done in this forum which will contain some new sub-forun categories for genres etc.

This is just a thought I was mulling over. I've not spoken to Andrea for some time and I don't know if she's been active here lately. I wil have to check.

?

 

 
Posted : February 17, 2019 2:03 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Posts: 208
Reputable Member Admin
 
Posted by: Alfie_Shoyger

I mean (not wanting to sound like a liberal here) it's too white.

The old site was on a blue background and had lots more colour than the new one. The new one looks, and therefore feels, monochrome.

Most of the work on the old site has vanished. The entire back catalogues of many fantastic writers who left the site, or died, or who had other commitments or problems, entire back catalogues which had previously been there for all to read (at the click of just one, easily identifiable, button), are now gone. The work of Sunken for example who, for me, was the heart of this website. And then writers like Pencilcase, Barenib, Discopants, Orangedream. All in the dustbin. Thirteen years of work up in smoke for nothing.

My opinion is that the new site has been a huge mistake. Before the old site was discarded, I voiced my opinion that, instead of a new site, the way to turn things around would be firstly to entice old members back to the site by emailing them, inviting them back, and letting them know that the annual subscription fee had been abolished; and secondly by using donations to advertise the site more and bring new writers in.

And that's still what I think should be done if possible. The old site should be resurrected.

 

 

Resurrect the old site? 

Thoughts.

 
Posted : February 17, 2019 2:08 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

Being able to submit as it is right now is the reason I'm still using the forums too and it won't work the other way around for me at all. For example I have joined deviantart - not exciting at all - and I haven't bothered at all with its forums. And I joined because I had no idea if UKA would survive or UKA had just disappeared or had technical issues. Maybe people don't know if UKA is here to stay. No matter what. Maybe they think it's too vague.

I also think that publishing days are of no importance. That new members should be able to join after submitting a form and after passing all the bot tests. An admin then would check new requests and approve new members. That's all it needs right now and of course this vagueness must stop. 

Sorry for any weirdness in phrasing my English I have a migraine.

 
Posted : February 17, 2019 4:55 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

resurrecting the old site is worthwhile only because of the personal pages of members, because we could add favorite authors and favorite articles. If this can be done here then all we need is a few editors to nib and no publishing days at least for now. would i rejoin the resurrected site? of course if it wasn't just a forum. 

i have absolutely no problem with our personal page as they are now, however. 

There are members that can be approached to become the new nibbers. UKA picks was a good thing. Prose that's one of the biggest problems. I think it's also one the reasons of the situation we are all facing. 

I also think that ukanthology is extra baggage. Should be forgotten for now. If someone publishes his/her collection of poems or short stories or novel he/she can advertise it. 

 

 
Posted : February 17, 2019 5:28 pm
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)
Posts: 27
Eminent Member
 

There are members that can be approached to become the new nibbers. UKA picks was a good thing. Prose that's one of the biggest problems. I think it's also one the reasons of the situation we are all facing.

Why is prose a problem? I really enjoy reading and writing stories and bits of books. It was one of the reasons I joined the site way back in '04.

Things are bound to change because the people who use the site change and, as you say, the internet has changed. All smart phones and tablets but there should still be place in a writing community for sad old Luddites like me who don't even own a mobile phone. 

I should be very sorry if this site was diminished. But there again the past, as they say, is another country and they do things differently there.

I suppose if all I want to do is publish my stuff on the internet, I could fall back on my web site but I really liked reading other people's stuff and sharing my opinions and , yes, having other people read my stuff and sharing their opinions. Contrary to most opinion, I am only human.

Keep going with the site and keep commenting and making it breathe again.


Do no harm.

This post was modified 5 years ago by chrissytotoro
 
Posted : February 18, 2019 11:26 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

prose is a problem because only a couple of people post something and it's rarely a piece that receives comments. 

I write mainly poetry but if English was my native tongue I would have been writing mainly prose. 

yes that's what I say, keep commenting to myself and start commenting to all of you. 

 
Posted : February 18, 2019 11:45 am
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Posts: 208
Reputable Member Admin
 

Why do you (any and all) remain at/continue to use  UKA when there are sites like Wattpad, Scriggler, ABC and dozens of others?

The site MOST like UKA is ABCtales which, I assume, is still active (I've not visited in a long time).

 

 
Posted : February 18, 2019 12:57 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: