New £5.00 Notes.

New £5.00 Notes.  

RSS
stevef
(@stevef)
Famed Member

Most of us have probably read about certain groups being up in arms about the new plastic-coated fivers containing traces of tallow:

BBC News

Well, it doesn't bother me in the slightest but perhaps those who are outraged might like to look at the lists of animal by-products in everyday use, some of which include plastic bags (that corner shops commonly use).

Are all traders in the offended groups refusing to take the new note, I wonder, or is 'filthy lucre' over-riding their sentiments? I see that one vegetarian cafe is in Cambridge refusing to accept them. 

Here's just one list of daily-use items containing animal fats:

Independent.

This is interesting: New notes - how much tallow in total.

Posted : December 6, 2016 3:41 pm
andrea
(@andrea)
Prominent Member Admin

Bloody ridiculous. Is anyone forcing them to eat them?

Sadly though, looks like the BoE has backed down...

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2016 10:01 pm
franciman
(@franciman)

I think a more pressing ethical question is, why do so many traders in England refuse to take Scottish bank notes (legal tender and completely free from any animal product)?

Anyone would think they had a fine skein of Tory scum on them...

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2016 2:26 pm
shipbuilder
(@shipbuilder)
Estimable Member

I take Scottish notes, knowing that they are legal tender, and exactly the same value as  the standard notes as well, but although I don't object, or even say anything, I don't like taking them!      And the reason is, as you correctly state, a lot of people will not accept them, so I am usually stuck with taking them to the bank!       I quite like the new plastic £5 notes, they are far preferable to the filthy old limp paper ones that they replaced.     Look forward to getting the plastic £10 notes as well!     Just about everything these days contains traces of everything else, a lot of it far worse than a bit of tallow!    

Bob

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2016 2:36 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Honorable Member

Exactly!

FAR worse!

FYI

Kraft, Pepsi, and Nestle Using Aborted Babies For Flavor Additives

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2016 2:53 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Famed Member

Speaking of Scottish notes, see this 'discussion'!

And it seems that they're legal currency, not necessarily legal tender. I've had reason to ask traders on the English side of the border if they'll accept Scottish notes in the past and never been refused so I guess it is down to individuals. Obviously infuriating when some won't take them.

Three banks in Scotland are authorised to issue their own notes - the Bank of Scotland, Clydesdale Bank and Royal Bank of Scotland.
They are legal currency - BUT they are NOT legal tender, which means shopkeepers are not obliged to accept them.
The Bank of England explains: "In ordinary everyday transactions, the term "legal tender" in its purest sense need not govern a banknote's acceptability in transactions.
"The acceptability of a Scottish banknote as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved.
"If both parties are in agreement, Scottish banknotes can be used in England and Wales.
"Holders of genuine Scottish banknotes are provided with a level of protection similar to that provided to holders of Bank of England banknotes.
"This is because the issuing banks must back their banknote issue using a combination of Bank of England banknotes, UK coin and funds in an interest bearing bank account at the Bank of England."
Many shopkeepers who refuse to accept banknotes south of the border say that because they are unfamiliar with them they are unable to discern whether they are genuine or fake.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2016 3:24 pm
pronto
(@pronto)

I am having a new £5 note with two veg and gravy for Sunday lunch this week. It's cheaper than dining out! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Share: