Forum

New £1 Coin
 
Notifications
Clear all

New £1 Coin

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
4,297 Views
DaveLewis
(@davelewis)
Posts: 8
Active Member
Topic starter
 

Out today 🙂

http://www.pontytown.co.uk/wales/new-1-coin/

 
Posted : March 28, 2017 8:06 am
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Posts: 310
Reputable Member
 

Hi Dave,

Like everything else our puppet government does..I distrust the motives behind it completely.

Swines.

 

 
Posted : March 29, 2017 4:59 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Posts: 310
Reputable Member
 

Might be worth looking into the photographers who happened to be on the spot at the London Bridge episode and then all the others.

Join the dots.

How unlucky (or fortunate) can one person be?

 

 
Posted : March 29, 2017 5:01 pm
andrea
(@andrea)
Posts: 190
Prominent Member Admin
 

Got a few stashed away - visiting UK next month - must make sure to spend 'em!

 
Posted : March 29, 2017 8:01 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Posts: 404
Reputable Member
 

I fail to see how the UK Treasury's intention to substitute  one coin for another of equivalent value means 'to steal even more cash from us poor'.

 
Posted : March 31, 2017 10:55 am
andrea
(@andrea)
Posts: 190
Prominent Member Admin
 

Presumably because they reckon there are millions stashed away in piggy banks etc, which people have forgotten about, and will therefore lose out as they'll miss the deadline.

 
Posted : March 31, 2017 9:04 pm
shipbuilder
(@shipbuilder)
Posts: 62
Trusted Member
 

I quite like them - very smart!    Pity they don't fit into my old pound coin holder - a flat piece of plastic with five holes in it for the coins.    I usually keep them on me as an "emergency supply!"   Also, having just got rid of the old ones, I wonder if the new ones will go in the parking meters in town?      The bank assures me that after the deadline, we will still be able to exchange them for new ones at banks!

Bob

 
Posted : April 5, 2017 6:26 pm
kdr
 kdr
(@kdr)
Posts: 3
New Member
 

They look and feel a bit cheap. Plus they'll soon be round anyway, judging by the quality of the metal (I had one last week that was seriously marked up already).
Didn't there used to be a 12-sided coin or something like it before decimalisation, though? It'd be about right for govt to reintroduce things likes tanners and farthings, in keeping with the 'good ol' days' mentality and moves to create the social divides, etc, of the 1920s, if not the late 1800s. 😉

 
Posted : April 16, 2017 5:02 pm
shipbuilder
(@shipbuilder)
Posts: 62
Trusted Member
 

Yes, it was a threepenny bit (half a sixpence, quarter of a shilling, that was equal to 5p  of today's money).   It was yellow, so maybe made of brass!      I have one in my pocket.      It just turned up there several years ago, and I have got used to it!       The morning of decimalisation day was a marvelous thing for me.      I was working on a large passenger liner at the time, and it was the first time I ever got my accounts straight for the day within a few minutes  - I hated pounds, shilling and pence, and especially ha'pennys!      Didn't take me long to get a calculator, and it was "plain sailing" after that!"

Bob   

 
Posted : April 16, 2017 7:23 pm
e-griff
(@e-griff)
Posts: 45
Trusted Member
 

And the 50p piece. It's a 'solid of constant width' so it rolls evenly as if it were round. The new pound won't. 

 
Posted : April 18, 2017 6:03 pm
shipbuilder
(@shipbuilder)
Posts: 62
Trusted Member
 

I still like the new £s though!     I wonder if all the UK parking meters have been adapted to take them yet?

Bob

 
Posted : April 18, 2017 6:20 pm
andrea
(@andrea)
Posts: 190
Prominent Member Admin
 

Don't be daft, Bob, that'll take at least until 2050!

 
Posted : April 18, 2017 8:44 pm
kdr
 kdr
(@kdr)
Posts: 3
New Member
 
Posted by: shipbuilder

 

I still like the new £s though!     I wonder if all the UK parking meters have been adapted to take them yet?

Bob

   

Nah, call me a cynic (what, moi?), but it'll be £2 coins minimum from now on. It's the way the country rolls (unlike the new £1 coins, apparently). 

 
Posted : April 19, 2017 10:27 am
Share: