Notifications
Clear all

Life after Death  

RSS

mikeverdi
(@mikeverdi)
Eminent Member
July 30, 2017 12:07 pm  

Well, this is a little wierd to say the least.  Anyone that's been keeping up with my cancer journey will know I'm supposed to be dead. This is what happened.

I came back from France feeling great, three days later I wasn't so great and Lesley had to get me into hospital.  After an examination I was told I was only expected to live days rather than weeks, then shipped out to a Hospice.  Clearly that didn't happen. After a week it was obvious I had stabilised and they sent me home.

It's where I am now.  I get daily visits from nurses who check I'm okay, fill up my syringe driver with fresh drugs, after this we are on our own. To say this has been traumatic would be the understatement of the century.  

The sharp eyed among you will note I have posted a piece of prose on the site, it's just to see if I can still write worth a shit.  Somebody tell me please?    

ionicus and ukadmin liked
valdohren
(@valdohren)
July 30, 2017 4:23 pm  

Hi Mike

Have been checking in about 10 times a day for any news on your condition.  Good to know you are still with us, and may it remain that way for as long as possible.  Hope you are feeling okay with it all, or at least as well as can be expected.  As for your writing skills, they remain top of the class as always.  Yes, it must indeed be very traumatic for both yourself and Lesley, and my thoughts are with you always Mike.  We are all rooting for you, of course.  Will keep checking in for updates and hope you continue to be  able to keep us posted.

All my love and best wishes to both of you.

Val xxx 

ReplyQuote
mikeverdi
(@mikeverdi)
Eminent Member
July 30, 2017 6:06 pm  

Thanks Val, we are living in the now, a phrase I've used before. We had a consultant from the hospital around our flat to talk with us, it would seem they are as bemused as we are. It's been so hard for Lesley and my family, I don't know how they are holding it together.

On the plus side, half a dozen of my friends want to get me published... before its done in my absence  ( as it were HaHa!)  Crowd funding seems to be the way. Sorting a plan out now, I want it to be a mixed content, prose and poetry. I will keep you up to date.

Mike XxX    

ReplyQuote
valdohren
(@valdohren)
July 30, 2017 7:44 pm  

Great stuff Mike.  Hope you do get published, and yes, I would appreciate being kept up to date.  I can fully understand how hard it must be, for all of you, and whilst I realise you must be deeply anxious yourself, I so very much admire your positivity, and indeed the sense of humor you are managing to maintain.  You are very brave, and a great example for everyone.  After all, none of us know what life has in store for us, and I personally find that thought very scary. So thank you Mike for that wonderful gift. 

Love, Val xxx

ReplyQuote
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member
July 30, 2017 9:50 pm  

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better and I think there are times when the doctors, with all their skill and knowledge, can't honestly tell how someone will respond. I have a friend called Amanda who was diagnosed with cancer and given a life expectation of up to five years. That was more than fifteen years ago and she's still going strong. I hope they're just as wrong with you and we continue to see you here for years to come.  

ReplyQuote
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member
July 31, 2017 6:59 am  

are you bedbound? (hope it is the correct word) what about the level of self-service?

Life after Death is a weird title, I thought you wanted to start a philosophical discussion about the afterlife. The possibilities...

ReplyQuote
mikeverdi
(@mikeverdi)
Eminent Member
July 31, 2017 9:49 am  

Hi there, no I'm not bed bound. To look at me you would  think nothing was wrong with me. My drug treatment is controlled by a syringe driver, I carry it around in a man bag. The tube into my arm is hardly noticeable. I have a nurse every morning at 11am to load it up and check me over. I get regular visits from friends and we get out and about now for short walks.

No, I wasn’t asking for a philosophical discussion, I wouldn't know how to have one at the moment. Life is on a far simpler plane for us.

Thanks for your interest.

Mike   

ReplyQuote
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member
July 31, 2017 1:44 pm  

you're welcome. 

take care

ReplyQuote
pommer
(@pommer)
July 31, 2017 3:45 pm  

Hi Mike,

I was so pleased to hear that you are not bed bound ,and that you are at least able to continue with your great writing skills.I have been wondering what had been happening. I am equally pleased that you can take the occasional walk. I am hoping that you will be able to carry on with both of these activities for a while yet.I wish both of you all the very best of days,I know that life is difficult for Lesley and you and the rest of the family. I am glad you can take the philosophical view of defying all odds.I have been feeling the same way for the last nine years.Good luck my friend,all I can do is to support you in my mind,and think of you daily. Best wishes from the Old Fart in East Devon. Peter.

ReplyQuote
mikeverdi
(@mikeverdi)
Eminent Member
July 31, 2017 8:03 pm  

From one old fart to another....thanks mate. Let's both keep on keeping on. ?????

Mike

ReplyQuote
Share: