Forum

Just a thank you
 
Notifications
Clear all

Just a thank you

14 Posts
7 Users
4 Likes
16.9 K Views
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Posts: 56
Trusted Member
Topic starter
 

 The Tuesday before Christmas I visited my godmother, taking her presents. I'd been there on the Friday, as it was her 96th birthday. She'd had a few falls and spells in hospital and we were constantly trying to persuade her to have carers calling in, but on her birthday, she was fine. Over the weekend we had our normal phone calls and I rang Tuesday morning to let her know what time I'd be there, but the phone was constantly busy.

When I got there just before 1 pm, the house was in darkness and curtains closed. I shouted and, getting no reply, phoned my cousin who came and unlocked the door. We found her on the floor in her living room and she was past reviving.  The police had to come and, although they were very nice, it was an awful experience. Her cremation was last week and today we buried her ashes with her husband, who died in 2003. My cousin read a poem I wrote for her and he and his wife said it was perfect as it described the lives of the two of them just as we remembered them. Without UKA I wouldn't have written that poem. Without UKA I wouldn't have had the courage to show it to him. He's asked to keep it and said he will treasure it. Sometimes the things we write on here are worth more than we realise.

Thank you.

 

 
Posted : January 12, 2018 4:35 pm
michel reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
 

Gee, please accept my deepest condolences for your loss.

 
Posted : January 12, 2018 8:01 pm
michel reacted
shywolf
(@shywolf)
Posts: 79
Estimable Member
 

My condolences for your loss, and may your godmother rest in peace.  Thank you for the inspiration to appreciate what we have here at UKA.

 
Posted : January 13, 2018 3:06 am
michel reacted
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Posts: 56
Trusted Member
Topic starter
 

Thank you all for your kindness. She had a good and long life and I loved listening to her stories. 

Please Bel, don't give up on the place. It's going through hard times but that's happened before and it's pulled through. I'm glad it inspired you too but that's something that happens here - we inspire each other, and that's how it should be. 

 
Posted : January 15, 2018 5:42 pm
mikeverdi
(@mikeverdi)
Posts: 39
Eminent Member
 

Please don't give up on uk ?

Mike X

 
Posted : January 16, 2018 7:30 am
mikeverdi
(@mikeverdi)
Posts: 39
Eminent Member
 

So sorry to read of your loss. That you could find inspiration at such a time speaks volumes.

Mike 

 
Posted : January 16, 2018 7:33 am
mikeverdi
(@mikeverdi)
Posts: 39
Eminent Member
 

Kind of you to reply,  uka is a perplexing subject. In saying that, if good people keep writing and comenting its still the best around.  I myself have been away with the fairies for a while. In and out of hospital, doctors called out, told I don't have long.  Writing has had to wait.  I'm still strong in spirit for all of this crap.

Mike X  

 
Posted : January 17, 2018 11:22 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Posts: 56
Trusted Member
Topic starter
 

Thanks Mike and it's really good to hear from you again. I agree, it is the best around. There's something undefinable here I haven't found anywhere else.

Sorry for the delay in posting. I've been helping clear the house. It's a long job.

 
Posted : January 19, 2018 9:14 am
mikeverdi reacted
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)
Posts: 27
Eminent Member
 

Gee, so sorry for your loss.

I lost my husband a while back now (2014) but reading your post here made me think of him, (not that I don't think of him every day)  but especially because at his cremation, I read a poem I had written and I think submitted here.

My husband was a week shy of his 90th birthday so had a good, long life, 36 years of it married to me (not sure how good that bit was.)

I hope that you come to remember only and all the good times you spent with your godmother. The pain of loosing someone never goes away but it does get less with time.

Thinking of you and thank you for thinking about us on UKA  at your time of sadness.

Chrissy.

 

Do no harm.

 
Posted : January 24, 2018 12:27 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Posts: 56
Trusted Member
Topic starter
 

Hi Chrissy and I'm so sorry for your loss too.

To lose a partner who has been with you for so long must be so hard. It's a good thing to be able to honour them in such a special way. I'm sure he loved every second of being with you too. 

I've been thinking of good times but I'm having a little trouble at the moment because of the way I found her. It tends to sneak into my head at times and I know it's a part of grieving. Clearing the house has been difficult too. I know that every little thing she kept has a story and was important to her, so it bothers me that no one else will ever know. 

It was a hard day today. I know, in time, it will get better, and your kind thoughts help a lot.

 
Posted : January 24, 2018 11:34 pm
pommer
(@pommer)
Posts: 12
Active Member
 

Hi Gee, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It is bad at any time, but doubly sad at Christmas.I know what you must feel like.I lost my darling wife last April after seventy years of togetherness. This Christmas was the first Christmas by myself,it was doubly painful as it was our anniversay on Christmas Eve.I was fortunate to have the family, but while it helps it does not make it any easier.However, there are so many lovely memories which helps.What ever you do don't give up, do what your Granny would expect you to do.Stay strong

.By the way I wrote two poems one for the cremation service, and another one for the interment of my wife' ashes. 

Peter.

 

 
Posted : January 26, 2018 4:02 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Posts: 56
Trusted Member
Topic starter
 

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Peter. To lose a relative is awful, to lose a life partner is devastating. No, family help but they don't make it easier.  You were so lucky to have found each other and I'm glad your memories help you. Thank you so much for your kind words and it was lovely that you were able to do something so personal and loving for her. 

Gillian

 
Posted : January 27, 2018 11:41 pm
andrea
(@andrea)
Posts: 190
Prominent Member Admin
 

Gee, Chrissy and Peter, stay strong, and so grateful you are still here on UKA.

 
Posted : March 25, 2018 8:52 pm
pommer
(@pommer)
Posts: 12
Active Member
 

Thank you Andrea,and best wishes ro all. Peter xxx

 
Posted : March 26, 2018 4:58 pm
Share: