John Bird launches ...

Notifications
Clear all

John Bird launches new magazine to get the nation ‘reading deeper’

Page 1 / 3
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Estimable Member Admin

Big Issue founder (and founder of abctales.com) Lord John Bird has revealed Chapter Catcher, a new magazine with a social echo – set to improve literacy among UK readers.

The 64-page magazine features dozens of short chapters from fiction and non-fiction books, designed to give readers a taste of novels they might not have picked up otherwise. Charities that sell the magazine get half of the sales proceeds.

More...

HERE

HERE

Topic starter Posted : June 5, 2019 3:52 pm
richard
(@richard)
Famed Member Admin

They should include a section for unpublished writers. First chapters and short stories. That would be a great gateway to the general reading public.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2019 4:00 pm
jay12 liked
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Honorable Member

If I am not mistaken he was involved with the launch of ABCtales with Tony Cook. Andrea would know.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2019 4:10 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Estimable Member Admin
Posted by: ionicus

If I am not mistaken he was involved with the launch of ABCtales with Tony Cook. Andrea would know.

Indeed. In the early days, we (ukauthors) were quite involved with Tony and abctales.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 5, 2019 4:13 pm
jay12
(@jay12)

Fake News. Blah Blah, Blah. 

1 source, no context. 

What did you do on ABC tales? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2019 11:36 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2019 12:27 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Honorable Member

"Well, we have to advertise ourselves in places where creative writers hang out.
For a start – ABC Tales. Somebody who is also a member of ABC – Luigi, perhaps – could post a forum topic there, letting people know about our wonderful new site."

Can we have some consistency here, please?  Either ABCTales is the monster that you are describing here or it is hypocritical to ask them to advertise our wonderful new site.

This is what Spartacard wrote on ABC: "I understand this is a site for aspiring creative writers, so we musnt' let personal feuds cloud our integrity." Wouldn't that be the right attitude to follow?

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2019 9:25 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

communism has nothing to do with what you said. I am thinking, however, that there's more than meets the eye with most writers sites. perhaps even this one. let's make a conspiracy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2019 9:29 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

even better if you find a way to control your temper and rationalize your true options, return apologize and keep your mouth shut your manners in order select the best poems that are not political if you think that this site will make you rich and famous or a knight, obey marry and reproduce later.

and why dear sir have you asked such a thing from this person is ukauthors also a banned word? you should be there to do it yourself. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2019 9:36 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

reading deeper what exactly?

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2019 9:46 am
Guaj
 Guaj
(@guaj)
Illustrious Member

If you think ABC was bad you should have seen GW, a writing site that apparently had BBC backing originally, but over time it lost it's way and was run by moderators who thought they were God's gift to poetry and literature delighting in tearing apart everybody else's stuff. Eventually the owner couldn't afford to update the site and turned it into a writing forum, then the shit really began. It became a home for trolls and a nasty backbiting clique. Most of the decent members ran away to ABC and probably UKA. Thank Christ it failed (deservedly) a few years ago.

I don't know when you first joined ABC, but I'm pretty sure that Tony Cook had a limit to his tolerance of inflammatory posts (check with Andrea), I think maybe the forums were more 'bloody' then, but not the general posts. I think these days probably the people who run it are just terrified of getting sued or served.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2019 11:03 am
Guaj
 Guaj
(@guaj)
Illustrious Member

In fact I was so disillusioned with the GW site I wrote a sonnet about how bad forums can be. I posted on here recently, but decided to remove it almost immediately because I thought it might be misunderstood and people might think it was about UKA. 

It's because of my experience on GW I've always been reluctant contribute to forums. I'm giving it another go, but I'm still apprehensive.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2019 11:32 am
richard
(@richard)
Famed Member Admin

This is a good thread. Things like this need to be debated so we can maybe get to the root of the problem. Freedom(s) of expression, opinion and speech are paramount but so is the reputation/survival of the website that is used as the platform. One wo(man)'s acceptable opinion is another's hate speech! For some, being a brexiteer is akin to being a Nazi. To support Trump or Farage invites utter bile on twitter. To even suggest we consider those people's point-of-view results in attack. 

It's pretty much accepted now that those types of people (far right commentators?) (Trump/Farage/Katie Hopkins/Tommy Robinson/Paul Joseph Watson) should be gagged/muted/shut-down rather than be allowed to debate their opinion which would be a far more affective way to destroy some of their arguments. But cutting out the tongue of the opposing view is the preferred method for those with the means, money & power to do it (Facebook/Google/Twitter/YouTube) (Electronic Big Brother).

Nowadays it's not safe to express an opinion that is at odds with the 'general PC consensus'. 

I know I moderate my own views on twitter to avoid confrontation and to protect the possible knock-on affects/damage to reputation etc. Which is essentially say the PC brigade have successfully gagged me into silence.

Just look at how one tweet can finish the careers of celebs/well-knowns.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2019 12:18 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

me myself and I uninamously agree that this is a decent thread indeed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2019 12:46 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

Am I not even fluent in your opinion? Okay.

You're not police to ask such questions and people are not suspects of non british origin.  He/She posted a poem, her opinion sat back and felt nice I suppose, then somebody pops from nowhere and asks a very rude question. And you expect her to reply? No you should apologize on the matter.

You from the start were picking on my unnatural English on uka, but I liked you for some strange reason and defended you as Crackersville if you remember once upon a time. When all your fluent friends had abandoned you. So there

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2019 3:23 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: