I agree who else agrees with Kundera? Let's talk about it!  

RSS
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/entertainment/books/1991/05/05/talking-about-the-big-questions/7408a5d4-20bf-4f3e-ac17-3f96d1e22d1f/?utm_term=.84a5fc374fdf

"I regret that almost all novels ever written are much too obedient to the rules of unity of action." Thus speaks a character named Milan Kundera, who continues: "Dramatic tension is the real curse of the novel, because it transforms everything, even the most beautiful pages, even the most surprising scenes and observations, merely into steps leading to the final resolution, in which the meaning of everything that preceded is concentrated . . . A novel shouldn't be like a bicycle race but a feast of many courses."

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2018 2:30 pm michel liked
shywolf
(@shywolf)
Trusted Member

“Prose is architecture, not interior decoration.” - Ernest Hemingway

Instead of trying to undo the biting of the old apple/I bite a new one instead/And with a toothless grin/Become a Dionysian among Christians.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 31, 2018 3:58 am michel liked
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

hey Shy, if there is such a thing as Eternal Recurrence it means there is a rotating door for all souls to return and start anew reliving as the same person, each time smarter and better... 

therefore a writer comes back as a writer only to write better novels - this is one of the roles the Unmoved mover /scriptwriter's polishes -- what's the architecture behind the very first attempt to create by thinking? the architecture is not enough. it is the characters that are more important. the architecture can be as simple as the main parts of a Greek tragedy you don't have to worry about many things - then you start working with the details, interior decoration and exterior too you somehow think life after life that the construction progresses but how? only the decorations change.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2018 8:40 am
shywolf
(@shywolf)
Trusted Member
Posted by: ifyouplease

hey Shy, if there is such a thing as Eternal Recurrence it means there is a rotating door for all souls to return and start anew reliving as the same person, each time smarter and better... 

Not really. According to Nietzsche's conception of the Eternal Recurrence, everything, everyone, comes back exactly the same as before, living out every detail of their lives exactly as before, over and over again for eternity. It is based on the (false) assumption that the universe contains a finite amount of atoms which can combine in a finite number of ways leading to the repetition of the same given an infinite amount of time (another false assumption). So, imagine reliving your life, good or bad, exactly as you have before without the slightest deviation in detail.  Therefore, a writer would not come back as a better writer to write better novels. He/she would keep coming back no better than he/she had been in the past.  

To put another perspective on it:  there are a finite number of letters of the alphabet and therefore a finite number of words (and word combinations) that can be created from them, given an infinite amount of time.  It follows, then, that at some point everything ever written will be rewritten word for word exactly as before, over and over again, for eternity, given an infinite amount of time.

According to my interpretation of Hemingway's quote, architecture = structure. All tragedy, and comedy, has a common structure...an archetypal structure if you will. Good prose, and poetry, is most effective when that structure is adhered to. It becomes timeless, regardless of the change in 'decorations'.

"The greatest weight.-- What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: "This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small or great in your life will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence - even this spider and this moonlight between the trees, and even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence is turned upside down again and again, and you with it, speck of dust!"
Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus?... Or how well disposed would you have to become to yourself and to life to crave nothing more fervently than this ultimate eternal confirmation and seal?"

from Nietzsche's The Gay Science, s.341, Walter Kaufmann transl.

Instead of trying to undo the biting of the old apple/I bite a new one instead/And with a toothless grin/Become a Dionysian among Christians.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 14, 2018 4:21 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

yeah I think that Shy and me and whoever says something here are just as important as published classic writers and philosophers. 

each opinion is important. 

yes Shy, better writers there is a way to change Eternal Recurrence and escape from the Wheel of Time. (Robert Jordan) it's all connected.

in fact you may become a worse writer but a better chef. follow your heart better this time. avoid evil deeds more. etc.

why not Shy? 

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 14, 2018 9:55 am
shywolf
(@shywolf)
Trusted Member

No reason why not.  Personally, I don't subscribe to Nietzsche's conception of the Eternal Recurrence, both on philosophical and scientific grounds.  It does, however, provide a lot of food for thought about the value of life and a good measuring stick as to the worth of your life in particular.  Are you living a life worth living?  If so, you would want to repeat it.  If not, you wouldn't. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2018 4:17 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

your signature is tantalizing, Shy. 

a toothless grin, I picture a soul that is reincarnated, bites the same old new apple, and toothless as a baby comes back.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2018 6:57 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

why don't you set a new challenge by the way, it would be exciting if you find something equally tantalizing! 

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2018 7:02 am
Share: