16 Users
2 Likes
11.4 K Views
mikeverdi
(@mikeverdi)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Dear friends

Sad news,  I'm in hospital and have only weeks to live. My nemesis has finally caught up with me.  

Writing on this site has given much joy over the last few years, meeting up an extra bonus. I will try and finish my cancer journal, as this would be appropriate, drugs permitting.  

Wishing you all well

Mikeverdi 

Posted : July 2, 2017 7:31 am
stevef
(@stevef)
Reputable Member

Oh, Mike... I'm flattened to read this. I don't know what to say right now. My thoughts are with you and Lesley. 

Posted : July 2, 2017 7:46 am
amman
(@amman)
Honorable Member

Hey Mike, hang in there.  A pleasure to know you through your writing.

Posted : July 2, 2017 9:55 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

Yes I'm flattened too to read this. 

You're in my prayers.

Posted : July 2, 2017 12:32 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

tried to send you a pm but I don't think I was successful

can you confirm that you received the private message? 

Posted : July 2, 2017 12:40 pm
mikeverdi
(@mikeverdi)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

No pm received as yet.  Not sure I would find it. 

Posted : July 2, 2017 4:32 pm
sirat
(@sirat)
Trusted Member

Very sorry to hear that news Mike. I'll really miss your writing and your great spirit.

Posted : July 2, 2017 5:44 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

tried again. 

are you sure this is the end ? in a few weeks? sorry for asking publicly but pms don't seem to work and I am trying to give you an email address of mine

you helped me when my father was about to die. I will never forget that.

Posted : July 2, 2017 7:35 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Reputable Member

Dear Mike,

I don't need to tell you how much you'll be missed on UKA. You've been around here for a long time and you've always been one of my favourites, I really enjoyed your writing, especially your memoirs from a couple of years ago. And, more than most people, you weren't precious about your work. All good honest writing, maybe a little unpolished at times, which added to its appeal because it was straight from the heart.

We were all pulling for you in view of your optimism a couple of months ago; I can't imagine how it must be for yourself and Lesley with the recent crushing news.

I think about your life story, how much of a fighter you've been in the face of adversity and how you've bounced back. It looks like this bastard disease has got you on the ropes now, I hope that when my time comes, I can face whatever lies ahead with the same courage and humour as Mike Verdi.

A good life, well lived.

It won't be the same without you around.

Safe journey, mate. 

Posted : July 3, 2017 8:56 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Reputable Member

I was away and I've only caught up with these very sad news, Mike. There is no need to tell you how much I shall miss your presence on this site. Although we never personally met, over the years we have developed a good friendship through your writing and conversations on UKAuthors.
You also were kind enough to grace the guests' page of my website and I thank you for it. Your photo is, and will remain, in the Guests' Gallery.

Luigi.

Posted : July 4, 2017 7:53 am
mikeverdi reacted
andrea
(@andrea)
Prominent Member Admin

Well, Mike, you know how me, Evelyn and The Boys think about it - if there's anything you or Lesley need...if you need us over there, just give us a shout...

xxx

Posted : July 4, 2017 8:59 pm
mikeverdi
(@mikeverdi)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Ahhh well...... There's no need to worry, I'm well looked after.  It would be great to see you, but that's a big ask; and I'm not asking.  Too much of a journey Andrea, it was a nice thought...if we were all young again.....

Mike XxX

Posted : July 4, 2017 9:14 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member

Just spoken to Mike.  I have no words, my heart is full and cannot divulge the love felt for David and Mike.

I can only thank my Creator for being a small part of their lives through poetry. Mike has the ability to put you in a bear grip and make you feel better, safe.

It is not goodbye, only farewell for a time. Neither agree with me haha but that is of no consequence. Our brief meeting has enriched my life beyond measure.

I dedicate this poem, much loved by my late father, to both these wonderful, strong male role models.

With heartfelt love and true appreciation.

“Crossing the Bar”

Sunset and evening star
   And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
   When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
   Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
   Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
   And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
   When I embark;

For though from out our bourne of Time and Place
   The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
   When I have crossed the bar.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

Yes Mike,
"and fuck them if they cannot take a joke"

Alison xxx

Posted : July 5, 2017 8:21 pm
andrea
(@andrea)
Prominent Member Admin

Brilliant from Alison. And Mike, don't be an arse,  we'll be over if you want 🙂

xx

Posted : July 6, 2017 8:37 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Trusted Member

We've never met, but I've been glad of your kindness and encouragement many times and I will never forget that. I'm glad people are taking good care of you because it's what you deserve. 

It's been a pleasure to know you.

Posted : July 8, 2017 12:07 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: