Forum

Factoid: scallops
 
Notifications
Clear all

Factoid: scallops

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
1,789 Views
e-griff
(@e-griff)
Posts: 45
Trusted Member
Topic starter
 

Recently I noticed on TV cooking shows they've started throwing away the reddish bit attached to a scallop - arguably the tastiest part - leaving just the white cylinder. Last week I found out what it was. It's the gonads. It has both red and white parts, being the male and female parts respectively. When it's time to breed, along with the other scallops it first releases eggs from the female part. After a pause it then releases sperm. 

I assume it's the fact of it being the gonads that puts people off (although it's always called the coral or roe) but they are missing a tasty treat. 

After all, 'soft herring roe' - which is delicious heated on toast and sprinkled with vinegar and white pepper - is the sperm from the male fish. 

The tastiest bit of a lobster is the green organ in the upper body. The tastiest part of a prawn is when you suck the head, and with a crab, the brown meat you scrape from the inside of the shell is delicious, with more flavour than the white. 

I guess people prefer plastic wrapped neat stuff from the supermarket rather than real food. 

 
Posted : April 24, 2017 8:55 am
skytrucker
(@skytrucker)
Posts: 18
Eminent Member
 

Sadly, due to some seafood in Singapore, I contracted mercury poisoning which made eating any crustacean a matter of considerable peril for me.

This is a shame because I really like scallops and ate the effin lot.  

I commend Mr O'Egriff for his worthy comment.

Bin day is back to Wednesday (as it should be)

 
Posted : April 24, 2017 11:55 am
e-griff
(@e-griff)
Posts: 45
Trusted Member
Topic starter
 

Further - first, sainsbury sell large scallops WITH roe attached. 

Second, if you eat a sea urchin, you clean out the dark insides leaving five pink lumps attached inside. These are the delicious,  only edible part - and are the gonads. 

 
Posted : May 8, 2017 9:32 am
Share: