Forum

Delays to editing?
 
Notifications
Clear all

Delays to editing?

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
211 Views
DJamesBrown
(@djamesbrown)
Posts: 3
Active Member
Topic starter
 

Hi all. A couple of months ago I signed a traditional publishing contract for two novels with what appears to be a reputable publisher. They have still not begun the process of editing the books and tell me that it can take months. I'm not sure if I'm having my time wasted so if anybody could please tell me what a typical wait time would be at this stage, that would be enormously useful to me and I would be very grateful.

Thank you!

David

 
Posted : August 16, 2021 9:06 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Posts: 746
Reputable Member
 

David: by traditional publisher, do you mean one that sells hard copy and doesn't charge the author for any services? Did you find them via an agent?

 
Posted : August 17, 2021 6:30 pm
DJamesBrown
(@djamesbrown)
Posts: 3
Active Member
Topic starter
 

Thanks for the quick response. The publisher is contracted to produce hard copy and e-pub. The publishing, marketing etc is paid for by the publisher and I do not make any financial contribution, i.e. it isn't shared-cost or vanity publishing. I found them online and submitted my books directly to them.

Does that help? Thanks again.

 
Posted : August 17, 2021 8:48 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Posts: 746
Reputable Member
 

My last contact with a publisher was in the early 2000s and I remember it being about three months before I got the galley proofs. I think Mandrake is presently the only active member who is also a publisher. He'd be in a better position than me to advise, if he reads this thread, but I'd suggest that two months is no time at all in the publishing/editing world. Acceptance to bookshelves can be anything from six months to two years apparently. As you've got got a contract, I think waiting a while longer might be the best course. It would be of no benefit to them to drag their heels as they're in the business to make money. 

I'd imagine with a two-book deal that they'd be publishing the second on the tail of a successful first. Did you have an agent?

 
Posted : August 18, 2021 2:14 pm
DJamesBrown
(@djamesbrown)
Posts: 3
Active Member
Topic starter
 

@stevef Thanks, that's very reassuring to hear. No, I didn't use an agent. I'm new to the whole industry and I just didn't know whether to use one, or if any agent would be interested in representing me.

 
Posted : August 18, 2021 6:36 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Posts: 746
Reputable Member
 

I think you've been very fortunate to find a publisher without being represented, David. It's difficult enough just to be accepted by an agent these days! A lot depends on the genre though.

Good luck with everything. Keep us posted.

 
Posted : August 18, 2021 8:22 pm
Share: