Forum

Brexit for Dummies
 
Notifications
Clear all

Brexit for Dummies

98 Posts
7 Users
3 Likes
7,658 Views
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

well they all remind me of Greek politicians

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu6PIUT8M-A

 
Posted : April 4, 2019 12:20 pm
eggiebear
(@eggiebear)
Posts: 6
Active Member
 

What has this thread got to do with writing? If I wanted to read political polemic I would visit a political website!

 
Posted : April 4, 2019 4:33 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

General (1 viewing)

Discuss Anything!

 
Posted : April 4, 2019 4:57 pm
jay12 reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

well that was hilarious

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i97FkO3d_lU

 
Posted : April 9, 2019 7:29 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

this is so smart and funny 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdn5WJNNTwk

 
Posted : April 9, 2019 7:38 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

all sides are very funny. humour will save this world.

 
Posted : April 9, 2019 7:42 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

Varoufakis 'Yanis' since we here talked about our referendum this is an article about that night 

https://www.newsit.gr/politikh/varoufakis-o-tsipras-den-eixe-aytapates-to-video-apo-to-vrady-tou-dimopsifismatos/2757473/

use Google translation. 

Merkel had vetoed a Grexit already and Domino effect would have started immediately (Italian banks) if Tsipras respected the result which he hoped would have been YES. 61 % No.

 
Posted : April 12, 2019 9:18 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

I think your referendum's result is not strong enough, and you would have known already if there is a democracy in your country had it been above 60. I doubt they would have respected it. 

I read somewhere that you got an extension 31st Oct now? Leavers should be asking for a second referendum. If they don't do it you know why...

 
Posted : April 12, 2019 9:26 am
jay12 reacted
jay12
(@jay12)
Posts: 40
Eminent Member
 

The issues with Brexit comes down to two things, the badly worded question on the ballot and the lack of a clear idea what Leave meant; And the margin of victory.  

Remain was an easy option - nothing would change. 

Leave was an option for everyone who wanted to leave the European Union, fair enough. 

But people who voted Leave did so based on what ever bubble they were plugged into at the time and that included: The Lies believed, ie the £350m for the NHS and taking back sovereignty (something we had and always have) etc; No Deal walk away; a negotiated leave with a negotiated trade/customs relationship, so on and so on. 

The arguing is now all about which leave we accept or wanted and leavers cannot agree on which one they want. This is what is causing a huge split in the Conservative party as some want to remain, more want to leave with a deal but then thirdly another group want No Deal. 

51.9% Voted to leave and 48.1% voted to remain, a margin of victory of only 3.7%, but a winning margin none the less. 

This of course has lead to more talks about whether first past the post is the best way to decide elections or whether we should have a more proportional system. Something that is a side debate really in the whole affair as it was not applicable at the time of the referendum in 2016. Electoral rules then were the rules and it was FPTP. 

Personally I think we need a second vote on what we now know. We understand, obviously, what remain would mean. We have a deal on the table (that unifies both sides in opposition to it) and we can leave with No Deal and take our chances. But it seems to me the only way forward that would feel democratic would be a vote with those three options. 

If people are still ignorant of the facts after nearly 3 years of endless wanking on and on and on about it that is their problem. And people who shout about a second vote being undemocratic because we've 'already had one' is a moron who has no understanding what freedom and democracy entails. 

 
Posted : April 26, 2019 2:03 pm
ifyouplease reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

Nobody should be happy with such margins of victory, they usually mean nothing but trouble for any country.

There couldn't be some coalition because the referendum was too divisive too black or white, it had no gray area in it. Badly worded I agree. Was it intentional? 

I think May is not a bad politician, she is probably much smarter than Cameron. She can do it but the margin is not good. She cannot say to your MPs "listen to me morons we have 60 percent that wants to Leave, I'm not going to lose my head because of your games, literally." The EU cannot take that seriously this referendum either. I assume the Royals also cannot take it seriously. It's not football game here we're talking however. These were never two teams and the last minute one of them scored that you can cheer about. There's nothing to cheer about with this result! Both sides should have become pensive and cooperating with each other because the people obviously need a coalition.

Remainers just judging from the videos before the referendum were not convincing, they were not fighting much, now they started saying the right things and they are far more convincing. Again, is this intentional?

 

 

 

 
Posted : April 27, 2019 10:02 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

What about this Northern Ireland issue? Did anyone point it out before the referendum?? I am reading all sorts of articles the last couple of months and watching various videos. This whole thing could lead to a second referendum ---> potentially a better margin for the Remainers ----> if so, then this time you lose far more than ever then: you cannot negotiate easily, you may not be able to pressure the Eu as you used to. If you managed to find a way to combine both sides and keep your currency without being schengenized, you'd then still have the same privileged power as a member. 

 

 

The whole thing is as it says in that satirical video, a slow creeping catastrophy, but for both sides. Remainers would remain but even more conditioned unfavourably for Britain's sovereignty and freedoms and Leavers would leave without any plan or deal facing huge problems that would affect you for decades. These two must cooperate. 

 

Let the EU implode first, they have problems, they have their own slow creeping catastrophies. Wait, remain as you are never change currency never sign that Schengen agreement. Wait for them to start falling. 

 

 

 

 
Posted : April 27, 2019 10:29 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
Topic starter
 

If Leave had won with 80% of the vote, it wouldn't be that easy for them. And when no matter what you won't be respected, at least make the enemy -who is the state in such cases- be very uncomfortable without its democratic mask.

 
Posted : April 28, 2019 1:55 am
jay12
(@jay12)
Posts: 40
Eminent Member
 

When was Britain not a sovereign nation? 

Federal Europe, mass immigration, dilution of national identities, dishonorable losers, highest turnout ever, fishing rights, borders... sounds like gammon speak to me. 

The EU is not and never was perfect, but throwing your toys out of the pram and running away from your natural allies and biggest trading partners will not lead to as you say, "the chance to get back to a situation where the focus is turned to real quality of living for all in a sustainable environment." If you think that after Brexit we are going to be more prosperous, environmentally sustainable and have a better quality of living you are dreaming so hard you may never awake from your coma. 

 

 
Posted : April 30, 2019 9:42 am
jay12
(@jay12)
Posts: 40
Eminent Member
 

Under FPTP no one won the last election. Parliament was hung and Theresa May had to buy 10 DUP MP's with tax payers money so she could fund her attack on the poor and working class. 

 
Posted : April 30, 2019 10:04 am
Page 3 / 7
Share: