Clear all

Advice - waiting on an agent

14 Posts
2 Users
4 Likes
rachelwrites
(@rachelwrites)
Topic starter

Hi, I submitted to agents last summer, 3 requested full MS - Agent 1 declined (my fault really as my MS wasn't really ready but I got caught up in all the excitement!) Agent 2 has asked for a couple of rewrites and Agent 3 said that she didnt want to waste her time reading my full id Agent 2 seemed so interested and to contact her should Agent 2 decline. Agent 3 has since closed her client list. So, I have been waiting to hear back from my last rewrite since the beginning of March when Agent 2 promised to get back to me as soon as she had had a chance to read it. I nudged her at the end of April and haven't had a response. 

She does seem to take ages to get back to me but, whenever I've spoken to her seems very positive, however, it's been so long now. Would you a) nudge her again asking if she's still interested? b) start sending out more submissions to other agents c) sit tight and wait a bit longer. And if c, how long should I wait to nudge her again?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posted : June 7, 2018 12:53 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

c)

September.

Posted : June 7, 2018 4:34 pm
rachelwrites reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

you will be wanting a clear reply a yes or no by September and you should not accept any "i haven't read it yet"

move on say thanks bye and move on.

Posted : June 7, 2018 4:36 pm
rachelwrites reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

the best is b and c.

different material should be have been sent already. even slightly different

what are you sending may I ask?

Posted : June 7, 2018 4:58 pm
rachelwrites
(@rachelwrites)
Topic starter

Thanks for your response.

It's a novel - women's commercial fiction - dark humour.

Posted : June 7, 2018 8:17 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

nice..... what do you like most about writing dark humour stories?

Posted : June 7, 2018 11:01 pm
rachelwrites
(@rachelwrites)
Topic starter

It's not a conscious thing really - it's just my go-to genre, can't really imagine writing any other way but I suppose most of my favourite books are those that make you laugh and cry in equal measure. I think there's a real art to that sort of writing. What genre do you write?

Posted : June 8, 2018 9:17 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

after writing a story of this genre what is it that you like most about having written "one more dark humour story" that's what I meant.

about me: lately, science fiction philip dick style unusual stuff strange with philosophy personal practical empirical, dreams that have a plot too, and poetry usually focused on Death life after death etc.

Posted : June 8, 2018 9:44 am
rachelwrites
(@rachelwrites)
Topic starter

It's that whole achieving something that is both meaningful and yet doesn't take itself too seriously, if that makes sense. The best, most recent example I suppose is 'Eleanor Olliphant is absolutely Fine'. I loved this book. It was sad and moving and yet deeply funny too. It's my coping mechanism too - to laugh in the face of adversity - to see humour in our darkest moments.

I'm not a huge Sci Fi fan but I love Philip Dick and love a dystopian tale. I also love poetry - again humorous stuff like Carol Ann Duffy The World's Wife and Holly McNish. But I also love Sylvia Plath, Simon Armitage and Seamus Heaney. I've had one poem published in the Guardian (a very proud moment.

Posted : June 8, 2018 9:51 am
ifyouplease reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

I think I recognize you, you're Rachel from abctales too I think? I'm artisus. 

Posted : June 8, 2018 9:55 am
rachelwrites
(@rachelwrites)
Topic starter

No, that's not me. I don't know what that is but, pleased to meet you anyway! ? 

Posted : June 8, 2018 9:57 am
ifyouplease reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

maybe you can write a short poem for the new poetry challenge - i am trying to keep this forum alive here and for a month i'm setting new challenges. 

i think you can write about Lumbersexual, this is the new word. Hope you join!

Posted : June 8, 2018 9:57 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

Pleased to meet you too!

Posted : June 8, 2018 9:58 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

abctales is another writers site like ukauthors. 

Posted : June 8, 2018 9:59 am
Share: