Forum

A tmeporary farewel...
 
Notifications
Clear all

A tmeporary farewell

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
866 Views
elfstone
(@elfstone)
Posts: 17
Eminent Member
Topic starter
 

I'm about to leave for the ferry, to drive to Inverness, to get the flight to Heathrow tomorrow morning, to fly to Athens on Wednesday morning, to get the bus to Piraeus, to get the ferry to Methana, to get to Limnisa on Wednesday evening!  I think Thursday and Friday are going to be very lazy days!!  I'm there for a fortnight on a writing retreat and my plan is to spend each morning in solitude working on my novel.  If I get a chapter written I'll be content, but I hope to write 2; anything else would be a bonus. 🙂

I'm truly sorry that I will miss the UKAlive in Edinburgh, but I hope that those of you going to it will have a great time.  No doubt someone will put up photos/reports/videos sometime after the event. 

I will also miss the official closing of UKA and opening of WABD, which is a shame.  I take my hat off to Richard and Andrea - the amount of work they have put into this is amazing and I'm sure the new site is going to be a great success.

Elfstone

 
Posted : August 29, 2016 11:14 am
andrea
(@andrea)
Posts: 190
Prominent Member Admin
 

Have a truly wonderful time, Elf! We will miss you at the do.

 
Posted : August 29, 2016 9:52 pm
elfstone
(@elfstone)
Posts: 17
Eminent Member
Topic starter
 

Well here I am at Heathrow, in a hotel which has free wi-fi in an empty (!!) bar;  hence able to dip back in here.  Thanks belcanto and Andrea. 🙂  The travel so far has gone smoothly, but I have that slightly disoriented feeling which comes from passing through too many places in to0 short a time.I suspect I'm going to be very tired tomorrow night. 

Andrea will there be a specific moment on Thursday when UKA is 'switched off' and we all raise a glass to ... what is it 14 years? ... of a very special site?  Did I say there is no internet where I'm going? (– which means I will be subject to no distractions) So I won't be able to post anything on the day, but  ... well, you already know how much I've appreciated your work over the years and will continue to in WABD.

 
Posted : August 30, 2016 4:46 pm
jezz2544
(@jezz2544)
Posts: 9
Active Member
 

Hi elfstone! Even though we haven’t ‘met’ because I’m new around here, I can relate to your movements just now. Travel is in my blood, and anything about it arouses attention. Interesting to note you plan to dedicate a good deal of holiday time getting on with your book. I have similar intentions on holiday but am easily distracted by what’s going on, or embarking on conversations with fellow holidaymakers. Nevertheless, my trusty IT gadgets are always to hand—so maybe next time. Good luck with the goal of a chapter or two, but be sure to soak up as much as possible of what’s around you.

By the way, it crossed my mind we writers must vary hugely in our approach and attitude to the craft; things like motivation, inspiration, exactly why we write, and where we choose to write. Hmm, maybe I’ll post a thread about these things. It could be a revelation! (Although probably done to death on the old site!) 

 
Posted : September 1, 2016 4:05 pm
andrea
(@andrea)
Posts: 190
Prominent Member Admin
 

Elf, it's 16 years! And UKA won't be 'switched off', but it will be read only...as of today!

Have a wonderful time 🙂

 
Posted : September 1, 2016 9:35 pm
elfstone
(@elfstone)
Posts: 17
Eminent Member
Topic starter
 

Sitting on a balcony in the tiny village of Agios Georgios, having just had breakfast looking out at the sea, and watching some small boats heading out for the morning catch. I'm online courtesy of a new village scheme which gives everyone wi-fi (not sure how it works) and I was given the login details last night. Unfortunately can't show you pics because I didn't bring camera cables with me so can't upload. Just over half way through my writing retreat and as always it has been very productive – novel now up to just over 93,000 words – that's just short of 5,000 words written so far and another 5,500 written in my journal . Wonderful place this and so good to discover that after a 9 year break it is still essentially the same. Thanks to bel, andrea and jazz (nice to meet you!) .More when I get home.

 
 
 
Posted : September 9, 2016 6:07 am
Share: