Write a 200 word Droubble  

RSS
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Estimable Member Admin

Okay, the first UKA Fiction Challange:

Write a droubble containing the phrase '5th of November'

Droubble = 200 words EXACTLY *

Droubble a work of fiction written in exactly 200 words. 

Closing date = Up to and including submissions published on UKA publishing day Friday 3rd November.

Winner = picked by admin after the closing date.

* The word count is decided by the submission word counter which you'll see below the submit box and should show 200 words:

Don't add text padding like '***' or dashes --- to reach the 200-word count because that's naughty! 😉

Choose the 'fiction challenge' category when submitting:

Fiction challenge submissions can be found in the navigation bar above - Latest Published/Fiction Challenge

Good luck!

Edited: 9 months  ago

UKA webmaster

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 20, 2017 8:28 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Honorable Member

The word count is decided by the submission word counter which you'll see below the submit box and should show 200 words

I have written a test piece with three words and it was still accepted. Shouldn't a warning be given that it doesn't meet the criteria?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2017 3:42 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Estimable Member Admin

No, because this is not droubbles.com so there's no way of implementing a strict word limit. Hence why you should keep an eye on the word counter in the lower left and stick rigidly to 200 words. That's the challenge 🙂

I have written a test piece with three words and it was still accepted. Shouldn't a warning be given that it doesn't meet the criteria?

UKA webmaster

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2017 5:44 pm
jay12
(@jay12)
Eminent Member

How often will there be a new Fiction challenge? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 17, 2017 12:33 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Estimable Member Admin

Gonna pick the winner of the first one this weekend. then it's over to the winner to setup the next. Soz, I have been on a 4 -12 (nights) this week and have not been on-site this week.

UKA webmaster

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 17, 2017 12:43 pm
jay12
(@jay12)
Eminent Member

No worries. I can appreciate that mate. We have to do what we have to do to make ends meet and all that. I'll keep an eye out on the forum. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 17, 2017 1:00 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Estimable Member Admin

Okay,

My chosen winner of this fiction challenge is:

5th Of November by Ellieg

https://ukauthors.com/2017/10/30/5th-of-november/

I thought this was an interesting, poignant and original slant of the bonfire theme.

Well done Ellieg and also the other stories were fab too!

Thanks all!

Next challenge... over to Ellieg

🙂

UKA webmaster

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 18, 2017 2:06 pm
ellieg
(@ellieg)

Thank you so much, I'm both surprised and delighted. I have to confess I might need to ask for suggestions for the next challenge. My suggestion would be Flash Fiction (500 words or fewer) with a theme of either Misunderstanding, Christmas or Winter, but I'm open to ideas.

Edited: 8 months  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 18, 2017 7:36 pm ukadmin liked
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Honorable Member

People will respond to any topic you choose. Just go ahead.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2017 10:53 am
ellieg
(@ellieg)

New Fiction Challenge - Flash Fiction (750 words or fewer) - topic Confusion

Edited: 8 months  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2017 12:23 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Honorable Member

It is usual to set a deadline. Either a fixed date when all the submissions have to be posted simultaneously or the number of weeks the challenge is expected to last.

As this is a challenge to write something on a given topic and not a competition for which prizes are given I believe that we should refrain from saying "the winner is..."
Instead the setter of the challenge could describe his/her choice as "my favourite". Its author would then become the new setter.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2017 4:40 pm
Share: