Page 1 / 2
  RSS
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

I will try again yes, so here it is

Write,

a story

at least 200 words, based on Charles Dickens's quotation from Great Expectations. Be inspired by one of the greatest writers of all times!

I took the opportunity of being alone in the court-yard, to look at my coarse hands and my common boots. -- Great Expectations

I plead not ordinary

Posted : May 26, 2019 1:23 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

I have an idea which may be part of EMail to A reader. Finished writing the poem now I will start writing the story.

Remember to choose "Prose Challenge" as genre and if possible add it in the title:  Title of your story (prose challenge)

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 30, 2019 1:10 pm
ukadmin liked
guajiros
(@guajiros)
Estimable Member

What exactly are you asking for in this prose challenge?

A story based around a snippet from Great Expectations or an E-mail to a reader?  

If it is about the Great Expectations mini-extract, are you expecting someone to use those words or just write a story around them? I'm kind of assuming you mean the latter.

If I decide to write something it will certainly be 'sans' Dickens own words. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2019 10:32 am
ukadmin liked
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

I am simply informing that I will probably write the next part of Email to a reader based on this quotation.

I don't want to rule out anything, how do you feel about this image? what kind of images and storylines does your way of thinking produce, what's the main idea behind this line? is it Humbleness? 

you're grown ups all educated people most of you more than me. I cannot treat you like a teacher, this line deserves a challenge that "took the opportunity of being alone in the court-yard".

This post was modified 4 months ago by ifyouplease

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2019 2:10 pm
guajiros
(@guajiros)
Estimable Member

Okay, challenge completed and not an e-mail in sight (or sentences by Charles Dickens)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 2, 2019 2:25 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

Very nice.

My ideas are still not written. You sound a bit anti-Dickens maybe it's my idea, but if you are I hope that horribly inaccurate movie The Invisible Woman is not the reason

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 2, 2019 3:00 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

you never had to include this sentence, I used it to inspire you to write something and above all to inspire myself.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 2, 2019 3:02 pm
guajiros
(@guajiros)
Estimable Member

No!! I'm not anti Charles Dickens at all. I have a lot of respect for him and the work he did. After all he did live in the county of Kent, where I grew up.

It's a personal thing, I am not keen on using the words of great masters in things I write, unless its a review a writer's work.

I'm not sure the thing I wrote is what you might expect, but it is also a vague homage/nod to another of his very famous pieces.

This post was modified 4 months ago by guajiros
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 2, 2019 3:58 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

I never said use these words by Dickens, you are of course allowed to use this or any other quotation in anything you write for this challenge or in general.

Have you watched the movie I mention? Actors and Director were amazing but the plot was ambiguous and inaccurate regarding at least the Staplehurst Railway Accident.

It's obvious why they had to use a completely fictitious version of what happened.  He had a fling with Nelly that's for sure but the love of his life was his wife.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 2, 2019 7:02 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

Jimmy The Rhymer

https://ukauthors.com/2019/06/03/hands-of-a-stranger/

https://ukauthors.com/2019/06/17/email-to-a-reader-cc-anyone-part-15/

thanks - the challenge is over, the two gentlemen that wrote something perhaps can set the next one, perhaps the one that got a nib.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2019 2:43 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

Guajiros, can you set the next challenge?

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 21, 2019 8:32 am
guajiros
(@guajiros)
Estimable Member

OK that's an interesting idea, I'll give it some thought. 

How soon do you want it set?

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 21, 2019 9:31 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

ASAP. the deadline in my case must be at least 2 weeks. if earlier I may not be find time to write prose.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 21, 2019 9:53 am
guajiros
(@guajiros)
Estimable Member

Two weeks is too short for me. It normally takes me a week to think up something to write, then another two to write it and perhaps a few days to edit it (which I'm hopeless at). It's the longest day of the year today, I might think up something connected with that (BUT NOT WW TWO). 

Gimme an hour or so.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 21, 2019 10:11 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

I'll write the next part of Email to a reader based on your challenge, so thanks I have an idea now how to continue.

By the way, pray select a person (preferably contributor) to assign him/her the next challenge.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 22, 2019 12:18 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: