Forum

Short Fiction Chall...

Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Short Fiction Challenge - June 2021

ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Estimable Member Admin
Write a droubble (exactly 200 words) piece of fiction.

The piece should relate to the theme of ‘Lockdown

Submit your droubble between 21st June (the next UKA publishing date) and the closing date of 28th June (the last UKA publishing date of June).

The Word count needs to be exactly 200 words (not including the title) using the word counter on the submit page (see screenshot below).

Submit using the 'Fiction Challenge' category (see screenshot below).

The winner will be chosen and announced on UKA's front page shortly after the closing date.

Good luck!

Topic starter Posted : June 18, 2021 8:21 pm
Guaj
 Guaj
(@guaj)
Illustrious Member

I'M Confused - Help please.

Just posted my stab at this for publishing next Friday. However. My Word and also the site editing page both count exactly 200 words, but the published page will show 208 words, How come? It seems to be counting the title and the date and my name. What are you basing 200 word count on?

I have to say using the 'magazine' header page count would no be not representative of the piece.

Clarification is needed I rekkon Anguished  

Posted : June 21, 2021 10:12 am
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Estimable Member Admin
Posted by: @guaj

I'M Confused - Help please.

Just posted my stab at this for publishing next Friday. However. My Word and also the site editing page both count exactly 200 words, but the published page will show 208 words, How come? It seems to be counting the title and the date and my name. What are you basing 200 word count on?

I have to say using the 'magazine' header page count would no be not representative of the piece.

Clarification is needed I rekkon Anguished  

The word count on the published page will show the total words including the title AND any HTML for new lines and formatting. Such < /p > and <br />

those bits of code get counted and included in the published pages word count and it's why we've included the 'approx' caveat:

The most accurate word count is the one on the submit page as it only counts the words and no the codes.

As long as the submit page word count says '200', you're good! Smile  

Topic starter Posted : June 21, 2021 10:33 am
Guaj
 Guaj
(@guaj)
Illustrious Member

OK thanks 👍 

Posted : June 21, 2021 10:35 am
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Estimable Member Admin

WINNER!