UKAway 2018

UKAway 2018  

RSS
geoffnelder
(@geoffnelder)
Eminent Member

Although this is a new topic it is a continuation of a discussion in the UKAway 2017 thread in Events.

After a fruitless appeal for locations and lamenting how I and some others miss the absolutely unforgettable UKAways that David (Sirat) Gardiner largely arranged in Cyprus North and South, Camarthen, and Newcastle, I have booked to go to Limnisa. I know UKAway went there 10 years or so ago but that there were some issues. However, Lillian and myself have attended since and keep falling in love with the Greek 'island' of Methana and the paradise we find as writers and artists in Limnisa itself. I usually cycle in the cooler mornings and write, chat and go for walks or swim in the sea in the afternoons. Evening dinner and talks with other writers has been illuminating even for an old layabout like me. Last year I met screen writers, two film producers, mainstream published writers and scribblers. 

I'll be going for the 1st September for two weeks. Hope to see some of you there.

If interested visit http://www.limnisa.com

Posted : March 12, 2018 7:01 pm
vishalmorjaria
(@vishalmorjaria)

Nice Work. Great compitition for the new writers

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 24, 2018 7:54 am
geoffnelder
(@geoffnelder)
Eminent Member

Yes, Alfie, it stinks of Jasmine, blue skies, friendly locals, quiet bays, flying crooked butterflies and lemon trees. You'd hate it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 24, 2018 9:59 pm
geoffnelder
(@geoffnelder)
Eminent Member

I wish I possessed the admin powers to delete the above foul post by A-S. There's free speech but I could do with some 'free from' speech too. 

Anyhow, on to more pleasantries. Lillian from Raasay in the Inner Hebrides and I will be representing UK Authors (well, most of them) at the lovely, slice of heaven that is Limnisa on the quiet peninsular of Methana, Greece. I never intend to get much work done, but to relax, take in the atmosphere, wallow blah blah, but in the event I always write and think more than any normal two weeks. 

My writing goals for these weeks: to complete the sequel to SUPPOSE WE, a scifi novella commissioned by the publisher of my ARIA Trilogy. It's preposterous old-fashioned planet exploring stuff and I love it. The sequel is FALLING UP because our intrepid explorers at one point find themselves in a gravity anomaly. I also need to craft a short story or two to read to the assembled, intoxicated (hopefully) group.

Wish me and Lillian well and we will think of you, kindly.

Any one else off to their own notion of paradise to write?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 29, 2018 9:15 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methana_Volcano

i had no idea there were so many volcanoes, wow

never been there, maybe i should one day

wishing you well and have creative fun! 

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 30, 2018 11:27 am
geoffnelder
(@geoffnelder)
Eminent Member

Yes and I enjoy traipsing up one or two of them and exploring craters, now inhabited by vines and olives. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 30, 2018 12:17 pm
geoffnelder
(@geoffnelder)
Eminent Member

Lillian and I enjoyed staying at Limnisa in September. Now with expectations for 2019 it will be unlikely I can attend there. I am moving house to be near daughter and spare money is looking elusive. Last year I earned enough from being a competition judge but nothing doing this year. So, if any of you are planning a UKAway event perhaps in the UK then I'd be able to attend assuming a following wind for me on my bicycle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2019 12:34 am
andrea
(@andrea)
Prominent Member Admin

I'd love another UKA event to be organised. Last one we had was in Edinburgh, as I recall. And now we've lost Weefatfella...

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 8, 2019 8:56 pm
Share: