Why are replies sho...

Why are replies shown as comments?  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

some see it as poetic exercises others as sources of inspiration.  workshops usually are like exercises, challenges are inspirational. i avoid workshops and since i'm not a native speaker i don't think i will ever write a proper sonnet. but if you cannot write a sonnet in your own language you have a problem. that's an exercise you must never miss. generally speaking. in Greek i loved both, workshops and challenges and tried to write sonnets too. 

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2018 10:37 am
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)
Eminent Member

but if you cannot write a sonnet in your own language you have a problem

Didn't say I couldn't, just that I don't usually. I write what and in the style that my imagination dictates. Sometimes it is one form, sometimes another. Sometimes it even rhymes ? 

I remember doing a modern take on Shakespeare's Scottish play (Macbeth) and found I was rhyming stuff without even thinking about it. Didn't even know I was till I'd got all the way through the 'Come spirits who tend on mortal thoughts' speech of Lady Macbeth.

I just do what my mind, my imagination tells me to do and if I faff around with it later either because I want to or because I like something someone else suggests then that's the way it goes.

I've been doing it my way for over sixty years so I'm used to it. And I did say it was just me.

Chrissy.

Do no harm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2018 12:10 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

generally speaking as I said, workshops are good, we* should have them, but you who will participate - i will avoid it because it is not my language and won't help anyone - have a lot to gain from a workshop. if the person that started it knows what he's doing and is a good poet writing the specific form of his workshop very well.

*we because I will surely learn some things just by watching and reading your efforts.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2018 2:11 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member

I'm not one for challenges either and they haven't done well here recently. I don't think that's the problem here. I think we need to focus on getting the site back on its feet before trying to organise things like that. One problem is that it's a huge job to maintain the site and I believe Andrea is doing this mostly on her own - please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know if we have moderators any more. If not, perhaps it would be a good idea to arrange a few? 

About comments, you can't force people to give them but I do feel there's a link between the decline of the site and the lack of comments. There are those who give their time to give feedback and I would suggest those people receive some reward for their efforts. My suggestion would be to tie the promotion feature into the comments so that people need to give a certain amount of comments before they can promote to the first page. I don't know how easy that would be to program though. At the same time I think some guidance on how to effectively comment could be given so that people don't just post one word comments either to bump up their feedback total or because they're not used to commenting and don't really know how to go about it.  Perhaps a minimum character limit for comments?

I don't know if anyone agrees or if any of this is possible. I'm just trying to think of ways to keep things going here.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2018 3:20 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

like buttons is a way of showing appreciation for really helpful or positive comments.

i can't see how it can be bad for the site -a writers site- to have challenges and workshops or competitions. there should always be available workshops and challenges maybe even competitions later, whether people join them or not. 

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2018 6:35 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member
Posted by: ifyouplease

like buttons is a way of showing appreciation for really helpful or positive comments.

i can't see how it can be bad for the site -a writers site- to have challenges and workshops or competitions. there should always be available workshops and challenges maybe even competitions later, whether people join them or not. 

Why would you just like someone's comment though? Isn't it better, if someone takes the time to comment on your work, to thank them properly?

I'm not saying they are bad for the site. I'm saying I wouldn't take part and you've had very little success with them when  you posted challenges. What makes you think that will improve when there are so few people taking part? By all means, if you want to post a challenge, no one would object at all, so go ahead.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2018 6:53 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

you can select which comments you like, nothing wrong with having this option especially now that people are so obsessed with facebook.

i can like here, there are other sites such as abctales and deviantart, there you can like a comment differently, make it "great feedback" or "featured comment" 

yes it's nice if someone takes the time to comment and you thank them too. what is properly now on the internet with so many like and share buttons everywhere?

i may have used the word fail for two or three challenges, that was my fault, i didn't write anything. so it was a failure. when i write something even for my own challenge and i am the only person who actually wrote something, i feel ok a bit successful too, because i wrote! i am looking for ideas and inspiration. 

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2018 9:16 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

sharing/liking one's comment and not thanking him/her doesn't mean at all that you were not polite enough to reply, this sharing or liking is a way of thanking, of showing appreciation. if a comment of mine let's say is shared or liked or made great feedback or featured that's good for me, people will remember that, they will visit my pages. that's not bad, in fact now that we have buttons just thanking is not enough even if you don't have a facebook account you can still like someone's comment and this will appear in his profile. 

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2018 9:22 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member

The problem isn't that people don't answer comments though. Most do. The problem is that people aren't commenting in the first place. If you mean a like button instead of leaving a comment, that helps the writer know someone likes it but gives no feedback as to why. I posted some stuff a little while ago and people told me what was wrong with it. That was so much help and I made sure to thank them for it. 

If you feel you get inspiration out of challenges, then set them. They're just not for everyone though and you shouldn't be discouraged if no one takes part or if, for some reason, you can't complete it yourself. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2018 9:39 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

it's better with a team, with rules. there are no rules. we need rules. we need perhaps a prize like the egg, we need someone in charge. 

if there were rules with or without a prize then at least five of us should work as a team for the challenges, others for workshops

these five people WILL be writing for the challenge and hopefully more members will also join at some point.

we need people to see us, the team having fun writing exchanging ideas we need activity, so that others will start participating. and anyway, the site will have something new each week, at least for poetry and fiction prose etc at least ten submissions brand new.

that's what we need.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2018 11:20 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member
Posted by: ifyouplease

it's better with a team, with rules. there are no rules. we need rules. we need perhaps a prize like the egg, we need someone in charge. 

if there were rules with or without a prize then at least five of us should work as a team for the challenges, others for workshops

these five people WILL be writing for the challenge and hopefully more members will also join at some point.

we need people to see us, the team having fun writing exchanging ideas we need activity, so that others will start participating. and anyway, the site will have something new each week, at least for poetry and fiction prose etc at least ten submissions brand new.

that's what we need.

You seem to have worked out what is needed and that you have five people interested, so go ahead and do it. I wish you all the best. Anything that helps the site is great.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2018 11:44 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

no i don't have a team ready, i'm just throwing the only sensible idea I have around(?). 

i really don't understand why we wrote two pages of replies on technical issues while the site is working and is super fast and we or a team of determined writers didn't write five pages of replies on creative writing workshop or challenge.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 12, 2018 10:33 am
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member

I'm sorry. I misunderstood what you were saying. Again though, if it's something you want to try to do, why don't you do it? 

The site is working but people would like to see some things dealt with. That's why this thread was originally created.

Perhaps, like me, they don't want to take part in a challenge? The only thing you can do is come up with one and see what happens. I'm sorry, I know it's something you feel will help but all I can do is offer my best wishes for it to work for you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 12, 2018 10:54 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

Richard or Andrea perhaps could appoint the successor of Egriff if he has moved on and is not interested anymore to be the moderator of Poetry forums. i have no idea who was in charge of the prose workshops/forums/competitions, but if we have the two people who will be in charge, their first job would be to create teams. then start, onwards and upwards from there.

anyway, good luck people. 

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 12, 2018 11:11 am
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member

I agree that we probably need new moderators and Richard and Andrea would need to deal with that. It doesn't have to be anyone who is in charge of the workshops to start it off. You've done so in the past, so it could be you or any other member who is interested. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 12, 2018 11:20 am
Page 2 / 3
Share: