Why are replies sho...

Why are replies shown as comments?  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)
Eminent Member

Just that. Why, when you reply to a comment are you notified that there is a new comment on your work? It's very disheartening, in a way and it doesn't give you a real idea of how what you've written has been received by readers. If say a work got a hundred reads -- not mine, obviously -- and only a couple of comment you might  assume that that work wasn't really that interesting to other people but if you were notified of four comments you could assume something different.

Maybe I just don't like the idea of commenting on my own work when what I'm actually doing is replying to a comment.

Nit picking I know but I've just come zinging back to the site thinking I had another comment -- maybe -- on my latest sub only to find that it was my reply that I had forgotten about.

Just thought I would mention.

Chrissy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do no harm

Posted : March 14, 2018 12:10 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Noble Member

You are absolutely right, what a waste of time and effort. Even though I disable notifications (there is a bell crossed out with a diagonal line) I still receive an e-mail telling me: There's a new comment on your writing!
Although this has been pointed out before, the situation hasn't changed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 14, 2018 9:07 am
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)
Eminent Member

They've done it again!

Oh I give up. If they can call replies on forum posts replies why can't they do it on subs?

Just so everyone is clear. My latest sub; Message in a bottle, has two comments and two replies.

Chrissy

Do no harm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2018 4:35 pm
mikeverdi
(@mikeverdi)
Eminent Member

It's a bloody annoying simple thing, I'm also fed up with it.  More annoying is the fact that we are being ignored ????

"Fuck them if they can't take a joke"

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 3, 2018 4:04 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member

First, good to see you posting again, Mike. 

Ok, the problem is, I think, that Richard has limited time and so does Andrea and the forum now runs on Wordpress, so it's not easy to make changes. I do some stuff with html and css so I took a look to see if  I could help and I'm completely lost. What's needed is for someone who is familiar with it to help out. Andrea is doing her best but it's difficult for one person who is still learning to deal with all of this. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 3, 2018 11:35 pm
mikeverdi
(@mikeverdi)
Eminent Member

Ahhh.....it was only me having a moan, I'm sorry to seem uncaring, I know how they struggle.  There are far more important issues to deal with.

Mike    

"Fuck them if they can't take a joke"

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 3, 2018 11:55 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member

You've never been uncaring and it is annoying. You're not the only one to comment. I wish there was an easier way to update stuff on the forums now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 4, 2018 12:14 am
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)
Eminent Member

As the person who started this thread with my question, I feel I should say that I'm not criticising any individuals and I do understand the technical difficulties of running a large interactive site like UKA. I suppose the point I was originally trying and it seems failing, to make was that this thing of showing replies to comments on published work as comments is annoying because it highlights the lack of comments and gives the writer (or just me) the false impression that the published work  is actually attracting attention, which everyone has to admit is a really good feeling. If we didn't appreciate the comments we do receive then there would be no point in submitting anything. If I didn't want to know what other people thought I could just publish my stuff on my own website.

I suppose I'm a bit nostalgic for the old site where you could guarantee that someone would have something to say about what you'd written even if that was only to tell you it was bloody awful and you should have done it like this or that.

But please, everyone, be totally assured that I am not being critical of the admin people. I have the deepest and most genuine respect for anyone who takes on, voluntarily such a job. It is not one I would volunteer for. 

I guess I miss the community of the old site, that's all.

Chrissy

Do no harm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2018 2:50 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Noble Member

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 8, 2018 10:54 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

personally I have no problem with this, what I truly find problematic is when you are editing or viewing your own work on any site yet every time you do it you get more reads, this is problematic. at least here I know that when I am logged in and I edit I do not have more reads just because I click again and again to check my piece if it needs anything else.

ukauthors works fine, there is no significant glitch the site is fine and functional more than ever I think. 

we need editors and people in charge of workshops.

that's what we need.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 8, 2018 6:12 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member
Posted by: chrissytotoro

As the person who started this thread with my question, I feel I should say that I'm not criticising any individuals and I do understand the technical difficulties of running a large interactive site like UKA. I suppose the point I was originally trying and it seems failing, to make was that this thing of showing replies to comments on published work as comments is annoying because it highlights the lack of comments and gives the writer (or just me) the false impression that the published work  is actually attracting attention, which everyone has to admit is a really good feeling. If we didn't appreciate the comments we do receive then there would be no point in submitting anything. If I didn't want to know what other people thought I could just publish my stuff on my own website.

I suppose I'm a bit nostalgic for the old site where you could guarantee that someone would have something to say about what you'd written even if that was only to tell you it was bloody awful and you should have done it like this or that.

But please, everyone, be totally assured that I am not being critical of the admin people. I have the deepest and most genuine respect for anyone who takes on, voluntarily such a job. It is not one I would volunteer for. 

I guess I miss the community of the old site, that's all.

Chrissy

Do no harm.

Agreed. I just wish I knew how to change things.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 8, 2018 7:50 pm
andrea
(@andrea)
Prominent Member Admin

Sorry guys, will look into it!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 8, 2018 9:46 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

the most important thing in order to create some kind of solidarity is to actively help us cooperate and interact better (comment discuss share critique and ideas) as writers. there is absolutely no point in any 'creative writing' community without workshops editors and challenges perhaps even educational forum posts. 

that's what is missing. I think the disappearance of Egriff is the final nail in the coffin. 

hope he is alright.

we need a successor if he is alright but simply moved on.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 10, 2018 4:06 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

bugs glitches technical issues will be resolved even if it takes time, the site is like all other sites and all sites on the internet will eventually have to face technical issues even for upgrades, a major breakthrough has been achieved by changing successfully from php to wordpress and keep the archives. 

i think the person who owns ukauthors must decide very soon what to do with it now. we've entered the most critical phase ever.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 10, 2018 4:21 am
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)
Eminent Member

Last heard from Egriff months ago on my introducing myself thingy, I think and yes I agree, he is much missed.

Re your point about more workshops, challenges etc. not sure that would suit me that much but that's just me. I'm frightfully pig headed and can only write in the style I want to write and on the subjects or even just feelings that move me to write. I can't do the 'drop and give me ten haikus that don't have any verbs'  stuff. I have to want to write and, like I said on things that move me to write. I'd still like comments, of course I would and I do take on board anything and everything people have to say about my stuff but for me it has to be about my stuff and not that I've not stuck to the rules or the topic or the style. 

Anyway. That's just me.

Chrissy

Do no harm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2018 10:24 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: