Where is everyone?

Where is everyone?  

Page 3 / 16
  RSS
sweetwater
(@sweetwater)

I would hate to see the end of publishing days, I am on several Facebook poetry sites and none have set days, it's a free for all resulting in an inundation of poems that constantly bombard the reader, which also means the reader just flicks through looking for the next one mostly without stopping to leave a comment, just blindly hitting the like button if they can be bothered. On the PostPoems site again where there are no set publishing days one is spoilt for choice consequently again each poem may get a glance before the reader moves on, the majority of poets have only a handful of views and even fewer comments. Set publishing days are one of the things that is so great about UKA, for me anyway.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2017 4:17 pm
jay12 and Hazy liked
Hazy
 Hazy
(@hazy)

I used to love the posting days. It gave me a kick up the arse to sub. I'd crawl in from somewhere the night before and sit up 'til all hours writing something. Bit like a homework deadline. I know it's not how some work so can't speak for everyone, some bods took days perfecting whatever they wrote, but I tended to sit and let it flow. If I didn't finish something there and then, it usually never got finished! Xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2017 5:02 pm
kdr, jay12 and franciman liked
Daffni
(@daffni)

At last I managed to get here. Have read all the discucian but couldn't join in as it kept telling me to log in. I have not been around UKA for ages for various reasons. Main one : I couldn't manage WAB or what ever it is called. Also have not been writing poetry as have been totally occupied with printing and publishing my books including the poetry one [that is from printers not my printing efforts]. The others are children's stories and I sell them in the market on a thursday. However for much of the last 2 years I have been more or less disabled and, having sold out of my in house printed book, have been desperately trying to catch up with reprinting.

I liked UKA as it was, comments and all. Got your email invitation today and fortunately am on the count down to sewing up some copies tonight ready for Thursday, but took ages to find out how to log in now. Forgive any typos here ar an extra problem is that having got my right arm back in use, I can't really see to type. One cteract done but other one will be nov 2. Then maybe I can manage better.

Meanwhile I hope UKA will survive and if posible go back to how it was.

All the best to all

Daffni

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2017 6:28 pm
Hazy liked
jay12
(@jay12)
Trusted Member

Hi Everyone. 

I always mean to visit the site and often do at work to read but I'm rarely logged in or have time to stop and comment because... well I should be working. Things have changed in my life and especially for all of 2016 I was crazy busy with work and home renovations (which might make for a nice story here maybe). As a result of last year I've pretty much knocked blogging and social media on the head (deleting my Facebook account was the single best moment I've ever known online) completely and I do want to be more active here on the site. I think the look and feel of the site is very good, I fear that some members who do not understand the changes from the old site may have been put off rather than try to learn how the new one works but its not too difficult once you have a play around with it. So any old members reading this and feeling it too, please have another go! 

I was a very regular reader/writer/commenter back around 2003-2006 and I have to admit I do miss a whole bunch of people who I used to chat with who are no longer around. I remember always looking out every Monday and Friday for their submissions and they always commented on my writing. I'm not a great writer too and so I can understand why people don't read it or if they do don't often comment. 

Between May 2013 and November 2015 I actually wrote a history book that was published and the bulk of my free time during that period was spent on that. Last year was an utter write off (as mentioned) and this year I am writing a second book that *plug alert* should be out in time for Xmas, fingers crossed. 

I have every intention of coming back to UKAuthors and getting to know the new members, catching up with the old, and scribbling some words. I really mean that. Life keeps getting in the way, that and my garden/allotment, my drink problem and of course, the day job. 

But, thanks for the email. The thought that the site may die because of neglect has given me food for thought for sure because without UKA I'd have not had the confidence to have done a plethora of things that I have done in my life where words are concerned, since 2003. 

So I am still around and will try my best from here to do my bit and also get back the writing bug (which I may have killed off a little with brandy and beer over the years) but I still have a huge box filled with notes and story ideas that I really should dust off and look through and consider writing. 

Jay x 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2017 7:00 pm
Hazy and ukadmin liked
jay12
(@jay12)
Trusted Member

I agree. The set publishing days give you something to work towards when you do start writing something. Very much like a deadline. Plus if you miss one you've got a few days to wait, and edit a bit more before finally sharing. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2017 7:46 pm
kdr, Hazy and ukadmin liked
jay12
(@jay12)
Trusted Member

Just re-reading through this thread it seems that people are upset at some peoples behaviour. I think as adults we can draw a line under nastiness and silliness and move on. It made me think of this Jim Jefferies quote and I think it might apply: 

"Now, this might be the most hippie thing that ever comes out of my mouth… but it’s true. The only thing that can beat hate is love. – Now, love doesn’t always beat hate, eh? – It doesn’t always beat hate, but it does do something. Right? Now, think about your own personal life. Think about a person who hates you and you hate them. From now on, just show that person nothing but love. I’m not saying that that person will start loving you. They’ll probably still fucking hate you. But one thing will happen. Eventually, everyone will see them as the asshole." 

It would be a shame if UKAuthors were to disappear. But then I feel like part of the problem for being so absent. So I hope my feedback can be taken sincerely. 

Jay. x

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2017 8:11 pm
Hazy and ukadmin liked
neotom
(@neotom)

Hi,

I'm too busy writing novels.

Tom

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2017 10:21 pm
ukadmin liked
michaelfitzgerald
(@michaelfitzgerald)

It's difficult; real life has been very hectic and stressful lately.

Also as I tend to write whole books it's difficult to post much because of course you have to read more than a couple of sentences.

But I'll try and write something short!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2017 10:51 pm
Shangri-La
(@shangri-la)

Hi, I'm not sure if anything I have to say will be very constructive as I have been out of the loop for a long time so apart from the comments here I had no idea what's been happening on UKA. I am here because of the email invite and because I've been playing with the idea of returning again. This does tell me one thing and that is the importance of communication and the feeling of inclusion. I think someone has already mentioned this but I really think that a news letter is important, I don't know if this still exists but I seem to recall getting a regular email including a few tasters for that weeks submissions, it always succeeded in drawing me to the site every week.

I am not a very sociable person but I felt a real camaraderie with the writers here and was able to participate and found my confidence boosted by the kindness and comments posted on my very amateur writing. I would really hate to see UKA vanish, the writers here managed to create a very special community. I know I might be looking through rose tinted glasses but trust me, as a socially awkward misfit this place made me feel welcome and safe because of the people here. It's really nice to see a few of those familiar names still around, hi everyone 🙂

Personally, I felt that publishing days were important because it helped with my motivation to produce something within a given time, sometimes having a deadline forces the creativity, at least it did for me. I think feedback on work is also important but can feel a little daunting if you're a bit fragile so I can understand the need for opting out for some people. I know I found it scary putting my work out for others to critique but I found it helpful to leave my comfort zone and embrace the opinions of others.  As has been said by a few familiar names here - so nice to see some of you are still here, the comments were always written in a thoughtful and constructive way so I felt helped not threatened.

I can't really comment yet on the design of the site yet as I haven't really explored it, I just came straight here, read the comments and registered so I could say hello. I hope to return soon and check everything out properly at a more reasonable hour.

Apologies for waffling on

Shangri-La

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2017 11:25 pm
Hazy and ukadmin liked
Nemo
 Nemo
(@nemo)

Wow! I'm glad my initial 'Where is everyone?' has got people thinking and brought back some contributors from before I joined in 2012. I hope they will decide to stay. I have always found this site very supportive and have received positive comments about my work. But praise and reiteration of what is said in the piece to show you've understood it is not enough to help a writer grow. The internet has made poets and writers of us all or so we like to think. But are we any good? If we want to find out if we are any good, will UKA tell us? If we have no talent, will UKA tell us? If we have talent, will UKA help us develop it? Are members adept enough to provide constructive critique but shy of offering it in public? Would more people contribute to the site if those requesting critique could indicate that they would prefer to receive it privately?

I have submitted to other sites - they have more members - but the same thing happens: comments are too brief, usually inoffensive and useless. And low quality work of a social chat nature receives the most praise. Not on UKA, however.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2017 12:35 am
Hazy liked
Marilese
(@marilese)

Motivated to submit an existential poem by your comment, I registered and published a poem. And then discovered I can't access it to see whether it's printed or what it looks like on site. And remembered this is why I once registered long ago and never managed to conquer the basics of this site and lost all detail and had to make a new registration - and I'm still in the dark. Mystified. Completely mystified. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2017 8:31 am
Gothicman
(@gothicman)
Trusted Member

Marilese - When you're logged in, click on the YOU (not on the list under that appears) in the blue heading bar and it will bring you to a list of further headings allowing you to access your work in DRAFT, SCHEDULED, or TRASHED; plus other details and statistics. If you've submitted work for Friday, it will be under SCHEDULED. Hope this helps.

I'm still under moderation as a new member (joined September 18) so you'll have to wait to get this reply.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2017 10:54 am
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Why can't you access it? Your submission is in your writing list awaiting the next publishing day (Friday). is it because the links to your writing lists are hidden in the drop-down menu that you can't find to access?

ALL your links are in the 'YOU' link in the blue nav bar across the top:

Image (Below) shows you:
red = the YOU link which when clicked shows a dropdown menu of links (see above image)
Clicking on YOU>Your Writing opens the 'Your Submissions' page (Image below)
Green box = The links to all (status) your writing - drafts, published, trashed, scheduled, picked.
Yellow box = lists your writing and its status (in this case it is scheduled)
from this page, you can click on the links to edit / delete or view.

Posted by: Marilese

Motivated to submit an existential poem by your comment, I registered and published a poem. And then discovered I can't access it to see whether it's printed or what it looks like on site. And remembered this is why I once registered long ago and never managed to conquer the basics of this site and lost all detail and had to make a new registration - and I'm still in the dark. Mystified. Completely mystified. 

UKA webmaster

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2017 11:31 am
kdr
 kdr
(@kdr)

There are good points and bad points with regard to publishing days. Personally, I used to look forward to them because, as Hazy and Jay mentioned, it provided something to aim for. The biggest problem with me (and, I suspect, with most writers) is that without something like a deadline the tendency is to just drift or tinker endlessly. Self-imposed deadlines don't cut it, either, as what you impose with ease you can also ignore with ease.
On the other side of the coin, publishing days also meant there could be a hell of a lot to read, and you knew you only had a few days before the next batch landed on a Monday or Friday. I think that in itself led to a lot of stuff, particularly prose subs, going unread, with the end result being what I mentioned before: less prose, more poetry  pretty much by default, and prose writers cutting away (though a fair number of them may well have given up writing altogether in any case).
Also, I can't be sure, but I think there was a suggestion at one time of dropping one of the publishing days, and it got nowhere because of the sheer scale of work it would've meant for Andrea. (I might have just imagined that, though.)
As far as rolling subs go, how much work would they create? Even if the answer is 'very little', it's an approach that might only work in the short term. It'd certainly need looking at again if subs were disappearing off the front page almost as soon as they were posted (as appears to be the case with other sites I've looked at and ultimately decided against joining). 

It's a tough one, and another circle to square.
However, my biggest issue would still remain, namely work being openly available to all and therefore considered to have been (self-)published. (Though I appreciate I might be in a minority of one, there.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2017 1:51 pm
Hazy liked
jay12
(@jay12)
Trusted Member

I've put this together to help people who are struggling with the new site navigation, I hope it can be useful to people. 

Jay. x 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2017 4:03 pm
Hazy and ukadmin liked
Page 3 / 16
Share: