Where is everyone?

Where is everyone?  

Page 15 / 15
  RSS
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member

For your information.
Reading through issue 35 of Gold Dust magazine, its founder, Omma Velada, writes that she once was a member of UKA.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2019 2:07 pm
SugarMama
(@sugarmama)

@ukadmin

Good to hear Sunky is okay...have to say I have often thought of him over the years and wondered if he was okay. Glad to hear he is still with us too. I hope he will come back to UKA, but as we all know life gets in the way and doesn't always allow us when we want to. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2019 2:09 pm
Hazy liked
SugarMama
(@sugarmama)

@ionicus

Hi Ionicus. I had a feeling that David was still around as I'm sure I have seen him somewhere on the internet very recently...might be Twitter or something, can't quite remember. Sorry to hear about barenib too...another lovely fellow. 🙁 xx

This post was modified 2 months ago by SugarMama
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2019 2:13 pm
Hazy
 Hazy
(@hazy)

Yeah I'm sure David is still on my FB friends. As is Claire.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2019 3:58 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member
Posted by: @stevef

Roy Bateman was an excellent humour writer and always sent his comments in a PM. I Google-searched obituaries for his area and if it's the same man, he died in 2009.  Likewise a search for Griff came up with a John Griffiths of Hemel Hempstead dying of cancer in 2017 aged 71. Sad news if they are the same members.

I am profoundly affected by the news that John is dead to the extent of leaving the site behind. I do appreciate Richard's and Andrea's efforts all these years but Egriff was simply top figure in my head for some reason, an emblem of creative writing and the editor of my cancelled book in 2004.

So I want to ask if he died in 2017 why is there a comment of his here last year?

The Presence of Jalendu

is he alive ? are we sure? does anyone know? was it a relative of his that added this comment? if he is dead since 2017, then in 2018 somebody commented using his account.

this is all very annoying, Archie is not convinced so I checked his last comments just in case I am gullible on the matter and exaggerate.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 15, 2019 6:39 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Prominent Member

No, we're not sure, IYP. If you read some of the previous comments, you'll see that I've stated more than once 'if' it's the same person. Of course we'd all be delighted if John's alive and well, likewise Roy Bateman.

I don't understand your thinking about leaving the site if John has died. He hasn't been on UKA for quite a while and you've never said anything about moving on before...

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 15, 2019 7:10 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

I explained what egriff means to me ... I happen to know him since 2001 there were periods we didn't say a word but it didn't matter .. yes I was hoping he would return ... Talking about the death of any person has unknown consequences ... Cancer 71 a year after my father's death sorry that's too much for me after spending two years trying to help ukauthors hoping egriff would return

thanks for the experience, but it's getting too eerie too frigid too unresponsive lately. I have no reason to continue. 

best,

Nic

This post was modified 2 months ago 3 times by ifyouplease

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 15, 2019 8:17 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

no comment

This post was modified 2 months ago by ifyouplease

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 15, 2019 9:15 pm
michel
(@michel)

I do think the Hemel Hempstead John Griffiths must refer to a different person. Wrong middle name, wrong age.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2019 2:56 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Prominent Member

Thanks, Michel. Well, that's something concrete but Griff's been off the radar for a long time, which is worrying. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2019 3:12 pm
michel
(@michel)

Yes, it is.

I sort of think that if he had news, it would be sent through. He always had a lot of friends, too, and some might still be in touch. But sometimes people  need to suddenly take care of something important, and get fully occupied with it, though they seem to just sit back quietly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2019 3:55 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @michel

I do think the Hemel Hempstead John Griffiths must refer to a different person. Wrong middle name, wrong age.

You must know more than the rest of us, michel. From what I can gather from his website, his middle initial was F, he retired in the year 2000 aged 56 (he would now be 75) and he often mentioned that he lived in Hemel Hampstead where "Pie in the sky" was filmed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2019 3:24 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Prominent Member

I suppose it's a little disrespectful to mention someone's name if that person isn't/wasn't griff but the John Griffiths obituary stated that his middle name was Earl. If anyone would know more, it would probably be David Sirat of maybe Trux.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2019 3:51 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Honorable Member

I crossed swords with Griff several times but I truly hope he is not dead. I would be very sad to hear it. ? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2019 8:03 pm
michel
(@michel)

@stevef

Yes. The 'Earl' obit had different next-of-kin names, too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2019 10:01 am
Page 15 / 15
Share: