Where is everyone?

Where is everyone?  

Page 15 / 16
  RSS
andrea
(@andrea)
Prominent Member Admin

Very sad news indeed. Met both of them in the flesh and of course Griff was hugely active on UKA and in fact did most of the anthology work. I emailed him a couple of times, recently, so did fear the worst, especially as he hasn't bee well for years. Odd that the families didn't contact me, although I never met any of Griffs, I did meet Roy's missus.

Oh dear, very sad, now...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2019 2:45 pm
SugarMama liked
SugarMama
(@sugarmama)

@andrea

It is sad news.  I would have loved to have come to the UKA meets and met some of you years ago but was unable too as too far away for me. At least you had the chance to meet them hun. xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2019 3:48 pm
savvi
(@savvi)
Eminent Member

Oh dear this is very sad news indeed, I'll miss my old sparing partners. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2019 11:12 pm
SugarMama liked
jay12
(@jay12)
Trusted Member

The news about Roy and Griff is extremely sad. I had wondered not too long ago where Griff had gone, he was part of the furniture on UKA. 

RIP Guys. 

Does anyone know what happened to Sirat (David), I used to really like his writing. I know he was around here after the relaunch (WABD), I hope he is keeping well and still writing somewhere. Its a shame the number of UKA'ers we have lost in the last few years. A lot of nice and talented people. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2019 1:46 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member

@jay12

David (Sirat) is the prose editor of the (UK) Gold Dust Magazine. He is listed as such on issue 35 -Summer 2019. The poetry editor is Adele C.Geraghty who I believe was also a member of UKA although I can't remember her pseudonym.
I didn't know about Roy but remember John Webber (barenib) also sadly deceased. The last trace I can find of Sunken/Uncle Munky is on Twitter June 2014. Do Andrea or Hazy (Jo) have any news about him?

This post was modified 5 days ago by ionicus
ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2019 12:07 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

I had an email conversation with Sunken in May 2018 and he was alive and well at that time. We needed to get access to UKAs Twitter account (which Sunken had set up a few years back) so I emailed him for the details. He mentioned hopes of getting back into writing and back to UKA but, like most of us, 'life gets in the way'.

But he's fine, which is all that counts given the sad stories we are hearing about many of the 'old uka'ers'.

👍

UKA webmaster

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2019 1:35 pm
Hazy
 Hazy
(@hazy)

Cheers - glad to hear he's okay. I've texted him so will let you know if he replies. May have changed his number.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2019 1:50 pm
SugarMama
(@sugarmama)

@hazy

Hazy, so glad to hear about Sunky Le Munk. I lost his touch with him a few years ago . Please if you hear from him tell him Sugar has asked about him and says hello 🙂 xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2019 2:07 pm
Hazy liked
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member

For your information.
Reading through issue 35 of Gold Dust magazine, its founder, Omma Velada, writes that she once was a member of UKA.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2019 2:07 pm
SugarMama
(@sugarmama)

@ukadmin

Good to hear Sunky is okay...have to say I have often thought of him over the years and wondered if he was okay. Glad to hear he is still with us too. I hope he will come back to UKA, but as we all know life gets in the way and doesn't always allow us when we want to. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2019 2:09 pm
Hazy liked
SugarMama
(@sugarmama)

@ionicus

Hi Ionicus. I had a feeling that David was still around as I'm sure I have seen him somewhere on the internet very recently...might be Twitter or something, can't quite remember. Sorry to hear about barenib too...another lovely fellow. 🙁 xx

This post was modified 5 days ago by SugarMama
ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2019 2:13 pm
Hazy
 Hazy
(@hazy)

Yeah I'm sure David is still on my FB friends. As is Claire.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2019 3:58 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @stevef

Roy Bateman was an excellent humour writer and always sent his comments in a PM. I Google-searched obituaries for his area and if it's the same man, he died in 2009.  Likewise a search for Griff came up with a John Griffiths of Hemel Hempstead dying of cancer in 2017 aged 71. Sad news if they are the same members.

I am profoundly affected by the news that John is dead to the extent of leaving the site behind. I do appreciate Richard's and Andrea's efforts all these years but Egriff was simply top figure in my head for some reason, an emblem of creative writing and the editor of my cancelled book in 2004.

So I want to ask if he died in 2017 why is there a comment of his here last year?

The Presence of Jalendu

is he alive ? are we sure? does anyone know? was it a relative of his that added this comment? if he is dead since 2017, then in 2018 somebody commented using his account.

this is all very annoying, Archie is not convinced so I checked his last comments just in case I am gullible on the matter and exaggerate.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/08/2019 6:39 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Prominent Member

No, we're not sure, IYP. If you read some of the previous comments, you'll see that I've stated more than once 'if' it's the same person. Of course we'd all be delighted if John's alive and well, likewise Roy Bateman.

I don't understand your thinking about leaving the site if John has died. He hasn't been on UKA for quite a while and you've never said anything about moving on before...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/08/2019 7:10 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Illustrious Member

I explained what egriff means to me ... I happen to know him since 2001 there were periods we didn't say a word but it didn't matter .. yes I was hoping he would return ... Talking about the death of any person has unknown consequences ... Cancer 71 a year after my father's death sorry that's too much for me after spending two years trying to help ukauthors hoping egriff would return

thanks for the experience, but it's getting too eerie too frigid too unresponsive lately. I have no reason to continue. 

best,

Nic

This post was modified 3 days ago 2 times by ifyouplease
This post was modified 2 days ago by ifyouplease

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/08/2019 8:17 pm
Page 15 / 16
Share: