What I find odd abo...

What I find odd about current state of things here and elsewhere  

Page 2 / 4
  RSS
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member

I am sorry I have not been about much of late. A few things...I had to have my pc rebuilt then my Audacity would not allow me to record my poems.
The main reason has been crippling exhaustion though. I was tested and my adrenals are basically flat-lining.

This results in only having a small envelope of energy and becoming easily over- whelmed. Coupled with accompanying brain fog, it can be hard to just attend to the essentials.

Recovery will be slow and arduous. So, the spirit has been willing...but the flesh has been exhausted. I love the site and do not want to see it failing. I shall try to post some old ones if no inspiration comes, just to keep my hand in. In my own case it certainly has nothing to do with facebook and such-like. I detest that with a passion. I am also in the process of updating my website which has been rather neglected for a long time so I can only do what I can.
I have loved this place from day one. xxx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2018 1:01 pm
sirat
(@sirat)
Reputable Member

I haven't looked in for a while but I read this and just wanted to say that in my opinion Chrissy is right. What happened as I see it is that the people who were serious about giving feedback and not just patting each other on the back got attacked quite viciously for their trouble. So, in my case at least, I lost the incentive to come here. What I wanted from the site was a community of people who think about stories and make careful, reasoned comments. Why should I go to the trouble of doing that when the writers were making it clear that they didn't want that kind of feedback?

For me the point of UKAuthors had been lost. I was actually afraid to say what I thought because I knew I would be shouted down and insulted. The site had nothing to offer, so I basically switched to a face-to-face group of people who were genuinely interested in honing their writing skills. That has worked very well for me. Maybe the personal contact matters because 'trolls' don't, by and large, look one another in the eye when they're spouting their venom.  They hide behind the anonymity that the screen and the electronic keyboard give them. It's so much easier to communicate properly when you're sitting at the same table and looking at one another.

But why did that change take place? That one I can't answer. All I can say is that for some reason it did. It turned into a 'showcase' site where comment was no longer welcome, or so it seemed to me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2018 12:28 am
gee and ukadmin liked
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Agree. And I think it is irretrievable now. The internet has evolved while at the same time internet users have sadly devolved into angry, shouty trolls when they hear what they don't want to listen to. 

UKA webmaster

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2018 1:08 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Illustrious Member

the internet for the common people was permanently changed by Google (blogger had a tremendous effect on writers sites here,  2005 , suddenly people preferred having ten blogs for free, create a circle of friends around them with their own blogs and just be part of the most successful monitor site out there -vrypan here) and (right after the blogging madness) Facebook.

the younger generation is using smartphones facebook and generally fewer people prefer the quiet corners of old websites and if they want to shout about something they saw here they will use social media to do it.. hence the quietness.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2018 8:00 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Illustrious Member

personally I found again people that helped me edit, offered constructive feedback, got 50+ comments (my replies included) on Her Way. had I received fifty comments/replies saying "this is wonderful" I would have felt awkward - just a couple of positive comments or politely negative ones is a enough on and off. you can't have constant editors. but sometimes it happens and it is wonderful indeed.

so trying to find new ways to keep the community busy with something, interacting etc i used the forums and others use social media. but nobody is interested in workshops challenges etc. and since nothing is happening because of lack of responses to writing tasks, there is no point in talking about the site on social media such as twitter or facebook about our recent 'brand new' activity. one thing leads to another.

we need a rich person to love the site so much that there will be prizes. only money could bring new people (or old members back) only prizes. perhaps!

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2018 8:24 am
michel liked
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Prices and cash are certainly possible. BUT it's the judging and selection process that poses the problem. 

UKA webmaster

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2018 11:44 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Illustrious Member

prices? probably a typo, you probably wanted to write prizes right?

judges, there are poets we all know they are good poets, maybe they can help? belcanto slovitt stormwolf archie to name but a few.

you'd have to contact them and see if you can form some sort of judge panel. 

for prose we also have many people who can be judges. 

if you find the money for prizes i'm sure you will find the right people. 

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2018 2:01 pm
michel liked
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member

I have to agree with Sirat. There was always a great atmosphere here and then it changed. Mean comments and arguments became normal. When I look at some things posted here, I just go away again because I don't find it a pleasant place to be.
One thing though, whenever Richard sends something out to people about the site, they come back and that shows they still want to be involved. It's not really getting people here, it's getting them to stay.
As for prizes, that wouldn't help for me, although I know some people would come for the prizes but we need something to make them want to stick around. 
How possible is it to tackle the kind of thing Sirat is talking about? To put monitors in place to warn people when that happens and root out those who make the place unpleasant? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2018 4:42 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Illustrious Member

I never saw such negative comments you two describe on uka, perhaps I missed them, I  have received negative comments on my work in pms. 

Those were really negative ones. My work had been receiving for years anonymous one star ratings. I didn't care and I still don't care and I will never care.

There were some people who became my editors my writing partners on this site, two of them are not using it anymore.

But there are still people who sometimes dare to offer constructive feedback.

Ukauthors was never a horrible site, never a dangerous place for a person that wanted to interact with the world, on the contrary, on this site I've been protected and felt safe because I knew the admins Andrea and Richard would never allow anything totally nasty happen against their members!

what you two describe is not what I experienced on uka. the world of literature is full of venomous attacks. if you want to become a writer or a poet you should get used to it. 

it's the attacks and negativity against one's personality using their private messages or emails and their personal details that are despicable.

Right now there is only one active challenge the last one by me, I DO HOPE someone will start a new one. This is important.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2018 7:45 pm
michel liked
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Illustrious Member

I'd like to say to a visitor that reads this discussion, it's very safe to use Ukauthors nothing is wrong here, this phase is a bit weird. Even if you are oversensitive there are ways to protect yourself and you can always contact Richard or Andrea and they will solve any problem you had.

Very safe place people! Come join! 

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2018 7:50 pm
jay12 liked
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member
Posted by: ifyouplease

I never saw such negative comments you two describe on uka, perhaps I missed them, I  have received negative comments on my work in pms. 

Those were really negative ones. My work had been receiving for years anonymous one star ratings. I didn't care and I still don't care and I will never care.

There were some people who became my editors my writing partners on this site, two of them are not using it anymore.

But there are still people who sometimes dare to offer constructive feedback.

Ukauthors was never a horrible site, never a dangerous place for a person that wanted to interact with the world, on the contrary, on this site I've been protected and felt safe because I knew the admins Andrea and Richard would never allow anything totally nasty happen against their members!

what you two describe is not what I experienced on uka. the world of literature is full of venomous attacks. if you want to become a writer or a poet you should get used to it. 

it's the attacks and negativity against one's personality using their private messages or emails and their personal details that are despicable.

Right now there is only one active challenge the last one by me, I DO HOPE someone will start a new one. This is important.

The thing is that, just because you haven't experienced it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I'm very aware that it's something to get used to. #

I'm sorry you've had problems via PM. That's not acceptable either.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2018 8:49 pm
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)
Eminent Member

Do we really need prizes? I thought we were trying to recreate a community not a competition. Personally I use any comments I get like I would use an editor and I certainly would not like to think that anything I wrote was being compared to someone else's work, whether or not every one  was writing on the same topic. 

I liked the old site because you could guarantee that someone who had read your work would pick up on something -- good or bad -- that you might not even know that you were doing like my previously writing 'some body'  'every thing' and, yes, Word does mostly pick this up but I don't always pay attention. There's lots and lots of little things that people pick up and tell you about in their comments. I'm not pleading for a mutual admiration society and I honestly don't think you can tell anything from how many reads you get. Half if not all of them could be thinking that's ten minutes of my life I won't get back but how do you know if they don't say anything?

I'm genuinely not looking for a sympathy shag here, just the odd comment; good, bad certainly constructive, we can all do with that but I'm also not looking for marks out of ten like I was back in prep school.

Well, that's my ten cents worth, if it is worth that. Hope it helps.

Chrissy(totoro) 

P.S It was my seventieth birthday yesterday June 20th and as I was going to pop my clogs at thirty of some consumptive, fading disorder as I once thought all poets did, I consider myself rather fortunate to have more than doubled that span.

Do no harm. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2018 10:32 pm
gee liked
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member
Posted by: chrissytotoro

Do we really need prizes? I thought we were trying to recreate a community not a competition. Personally I use any comments I get like I would use an editor and I certainly would not like to think that anything I wrote was being compared to someone else's work, whether or not every one  was writing on the same topic. 

I liked the old site because you could guarantee that someone who had read your work would pick up on something -- good or bad -- that you might not even know that you were doing like my previously writing 'some body'  'every thing' and, yes, Word does mostly pick this up but I don't always pay attention. There's lots and lots of little things that people pick up and tell you about in their comments. I'm not pleading for a mutual admiration society and I honestly don't think you can tell anything from how many reads you get. Half if not all of them could be thinking that's ten minutes of my life I won't get back but how do you know if they don't say anything?

I'm genuinely not looking for a sympathy shag here, just the odd comment; good, bad certainly constructive, we can all do with that but I'm also not looking for marks out of ten like I was back in prep school.

Well, that's my ten cents worth, if it is worth that. Hope it helps.

Chrissy(totoro) 

P.S It was my seventieth birthday yesterday June 20th and as I was going to pop my clogs at thirty of some consumptive, fading disorder as I once thought all poets did, I consider myself rather fortunate to have more than doubled that span.

Do no harm. 

Completely agree. Also happy birthday for yesterday. I want to get back to reading your story but things have been a bit difficult lately. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2018 11:04 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Illustrious Member

serious problems were solved by admins looooooong ago, after all their site shouldn't be used as an arena of personal matters, but when any situation is associated strictly with literary works even if it is quarrels, normally the site owners admins moderators of a writers site are expecting it and just monitor without interfering. 

these are not serious problems. there were attacks that had to do with my work via pms and one star ratings. old uka. 

anyway.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2018 10:51 am
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member

Ok, another suggestion - get rid of all forums that have nothing to do with UKA or writing. I feel that some of the topics have led to people leaving. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2018 11:11 am
Page 2 / 4
Share: