What I find odd about current state of things here and elsewhere  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

Most people are either gone or disinterested 

Here I am and it's not even *my* language my heritage, this total lack of enthusiasm to work interact exchange ideas about creative writing is disturbing me now more than ever. Do they blog? is that it? I know Greeks blog a lot even now. Thousands of articles thousands of poems or stories, they are active although the writers sites are all shut down or graveyards.

I do not get it, you are too many to let it just die disappear this effort to use your beautiful language. And for Heaven's sake we are not during WW2, there is no asteroid approaching earth no serious social unrest.

I continue with the Poetry Challenge, now I've used a new type of word more outdoorsy and sexy maybe it would attract someone. 

But really..... nobody so far appeared to say "hey you, i want to set my own, we have had enough of your stupid words" forcing me to withdraw - merrily and glad that there was a reaction there was some interest even in this well lumbersexual harsh way.

Two more. Then I stop. Forever.

Thanks.

Edited: 2 weeks  ago

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 10, 2018 9:03 am
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Estimable Member Admin

I think there is a variety of reasons for the decline of UKA and they've been discussed on these boards many times so I've no wish to go over it again. The proverbial straw was probably when we totally changed from OLD UKA to NEW UKA which, in effect, was to close UKA and open a new site using UKA's name. I think this was too much of a change and too quickly. It totally confused Andrea who was/is the mainstay of UKA and she had to step back from most of her work on the site. Many people drifed off because the new site was not what they were used to. Add to that the multitude of new ways that writers/readers can connect via the net/phones/tablets... the many new writing/publishing platforms that are available etc and it's not really any wonder that UKA has floundered.

There are not many 15-year-old website communities still running and those that are, are not as thriving as they once were.

UKA webmaster

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 10, 2018 11:09 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

first of all i'd like to clarify that i won't be setting new challenges after the next two, I said I will do it four times four executive  consecutive weeks, unless there was a volunteer who wanted to set the next one. 

i wish it was that simple Richard, but i think that it's a lot deeper than that. new platforms smartphones social networking harmed many sites indeed but this persisting inability of people to return to their communities even for a week every year is phenomenal. 

ukauthors had many members if each member just for a week tried posting and talking to people there would be activity and us old members who never stopped visiting posting talking commenting would be more than content to "see them again".

that's not the case at all. and not only here, quality is gone in general but most sites are stagnant and just the same people post something new.

the new site is fine, you did a good job.

take care and thanks.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 10, 2018 12:03 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

oops! sorry but I do feel a bit like a businesswoman regarding poetry challenges trying to find ideas and keep it alive.

yeah i definitely need a looooooong break from all this.  😬  😒  😳 

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 10, 2018 12:34 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Estimable Member Admin

We've been here before. What can we do to rebuild? SHOULD we even consider it? Should we just go quietly into the night?

UKA webmaster

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 10, 2018 1:41 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

What's your team of associates Richard? Do you have any old editors/moderators by your side? Egriff, Barenib, Sirat, Andrea. Do you have them or are they gone because they had to move on and stuff like that?

They are the ones to revive old uka's spirit. Or should I say they are the ones that would decide eventually whether the old uka's spirit can be revived or not.

If you want something similar without them without the old team, then you should contact people who have similarities with your previous associates. if you do not want anything specific then in my opinion get rid of poetry challenges workshops anything that reminds of old uka's forum activity anything that makes the rest of us plain members feel obliged to keep updated, keep running to no avail. Find moderators for the few five or so forums

Discuss about writing

Discuss about writing on uka

Discuss about UKA

etc simple forum titles. keep it simple! moderators to delete spam bots and offenders. that's all you need. a person perhaps to assist you with publishing days. For the time being. And if the site finds a new pace again you will create what's necessary for the community anew. 

you did a good job, there is nothing not to like about the new site it's easy even pms now seem easy. I talk to you now as a friend, because it's obvious you care a lot about this site and I had to shut down my 'baby' one day, one horrible horrible day..... so I know.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 10, 2018 3:36 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Estimable Member Admin

Team = Andrea & me.

UKA webmaster

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 11, 2018 11:23 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

can we make this discussion private for members only?

so the main problem is the new type of site which is not php right?

may I ask which version of php was the old uka? 

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 13, 2018 10:05 am
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Estimable Member Admin

I can make this discussion private. Why?

Wordpress IS php. old UKA was phpnuke 5 which was old. When the host servers were upgraded to the newer and latest version og PHP, that's when old uka started to break because it was phpnuke 5. It needed to be upgraded to a new ver of phpnuke but we had made so many tweaks to UKA that any upgrades were impossible.

UKA webmaster

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 13, 2018 6:24 pm
andrea
(@andrea)
Prominent Member Admin

Er Nic, I am still here...

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 13, 2018 9:55 pm ukadmin liked
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

I know Andrea, hope you're well, you've been silent. But I know you wouldn't leave uka ever without trying and giving your best one more time.

😍

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 14, 2018 9:58 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

private because maybe it is not good new visitors to read this discussion and perhaps this would stop them from becoming members, you know..

anyway I don't mind.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 14, 2018 4:29 pm
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)

This is, as you say, an historical discussion. 

I don't think there is anything that technically needs to be done to improve the site. From a personal point of view the only thing that disappoints me about the site, is the lack of comments. I can't be the only person who submits their efforts for the comments. If I just wanted to put my work on the internet, I could put it on my own site. People just don't seem to want to comment and there is nothing that you can do about that.

For information only I didn't originally 'leave' the site back in 2011 because I didn't like the way it was run or anything to do with the technical side of things at all. As I became primary carer for my husband I just didn't have the time.

The reason I don't take much of an active part in the site now is partly because I'm trying to finish the novel I trailed a bit here and as I said because of the lack of interests in my work.

I hope you don't let it go gentle in to that goodnight'. It's been going a good long time and deserves to carry on.

Love and peace

Chrissy

Do no harm.

Edited: 7 days  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 14, 2018 9:11 pm
mikeverdi
(@mikeverdi)
Eminent Member

Please don't go.......😓

"Fuck them if they can't take a joke"

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 16, 2018 7:45 am
mikeverdi
(@mikeverdi)
Eminent Member

You may not get comments, but how many hits do you get? 

"Fuck them if they can't take a joke"

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 16, 2018 7:51 am
Page 1 / 2 Next
Share: